Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 9/1/2014 1:10:07 PM EDT
Now that many of us are finally getting our Therm-Apps, I thought it might be good to have a "Consolidated Thread" where we can all post our mutual experiences along with photos and videos, instead of cluttering up the FLIR ONE thread, which has gotten WAY off course (I'm guilty of pushing it off course ).

I'm sure there are and are going to be a LOT of potential Therm-App inquiries and interest, and this forum is about to get a lot bigger than it has been -- for better or worse --  as a result of more low-cost devices that allow people to "see in the dark." I figure, if we can have specific threads that can consolidate some of the noise into fewer individual posts it can still keep the "signal" high in the forum itself. At least I *hope* that's the case.

So, let the THERM-APP DELUGE commence!  

"Official" Therm-App Video:
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
In the other thread, it was mentioned that someones package was held up by Customs (or the FDA). This has all been taken care of and is a non issue now, they're shipping again?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the other thread, it was mentioned that someones package was held up by Customs (or the FDA). This has all been taken care of and is a non issue now, they're shipping again?
View Quote

I received my ship notice this morning and FedEx Tracking says scheduled delivery is 9/3 (day after tomorrow).
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Horta, a link in the OP of what the heck you are talking about (Therm-app website) would be most helpful....

HTXH
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Horta, a link in the OP of what the heck you are talking about (Therm-app website) would be most helpful....

HTXH
View Quote

Good idea... DONE!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
It just showed up.

UN F'N BELIEVEABLE!!!  The detail and clarity is amazing. I was in a hurry and the animals wouldn't stand still. I can get it even clearer than that to where you see their hair. This is phenomenal. It's made extremely well, all metal, super solid.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It just showed up.
View Quote

Ewe Bass Turd!

Mine's still "Out for Delivery"  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ewe Bass Turd!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It just showed up.

Ewe Bass Turd!

Did ya get it yet!!!???
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did ya get it yet!!!???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It just showed up.

Ewe Bass Turd!

Did ya get it yet!!!???

Got it!

Bought an iPhone just for the FLIR ONE. Now I need to get an Android just for this infernal thing.

It's surprisingly well-constructed. Pretty heft little piece of metal. The lens is sweet, and I like the included handle with tripod mount. Can't do that with the FLIR!

They're really not competitors, but if FLIR could make a much better ONE with similar resolution to this for a similar price, that would take over!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm really surprised at the resolution. The app works very well. It's very stable and fast. I see that you can swipe the screen and change color palettes too. I'm going to get a cheap compatible phone off eBay and dedicate it to this too. I can't wait to try it out tonight outside.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm really surprised at the resolution. The app works very well. It's very stable and fast. I see that you can swipe the screen and change color palettes too. I'm going to get a cheap compatible phone off eBay and dedicate it to this too. I can't wait to try it out tonight outside.
View Quote

Just ordered an unlocked HTC One off Amazon (used, nearby) for $250. I was going to get an S5, but figured this is just for a camera, so why spend $$600 on something that will get no use aside from the TA?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Does the manual say anything about water resistance or weatherproof?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn that looks pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It says it's not sealed against moisture.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no way with those USB cables.

However, since thermal is not affected by thin plastic, like a trashbag, you could put the entire thing into a Ziploc bag to keep moisture, dust, or the elements away from it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#15]
how is the frame rate??????????????????????
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
how is the frame rate??????????????????????
View Quote

Videos here: http://vimeo.com/channels/799242

8.7Hz FPS.  Amazing right?  Even with MSX, Flir One didn't even come close.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#17]
What is the range these things have?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Maybe 50 yards

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Horta in your opinion is this a good buy?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#20]
So far I'm ultra impressed. I'm trying to find a good place to host videos for you guys to show what it can do. I'm detecting people out to 200-250 yards easily. There is a large walking park across from my house (1 mile track oval) I can see people on the other side and detect they are people or dogs or whatever. It's truly amazing. It's not using that much battery either. I'm running it on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I worked nights and woke up with it on the charger so it was at 100% around 4 PM. I got up and started using the device. At 8:30 PM I was at 53%. That was after using it to shoot stills, videos and quite a bit was me texting the images to people who were interested.

To me... it's well worth the money. I don't know where else you can get this level of functionality for the price.

These people were playing frisbee golf at what I would estimate to be right about 150 yards or more.

Probably around 200 yards, far side of the park.

Sorry ladies...

Having a few beers at the fire pit

Rabbit at about 75 yards

Vape... check out the detail...

Shoes were glowing after walking aound in the heat

Power transformer out back

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:38:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Got it!

Bought an iPhone just for the FLIR ONE. Now I need to get an Android just for this infernal thing.

It's surprisingly well-constructed. Pretty heft little piece of metal. The lens is sweet, and I like the included handle with tripod mount. Can't do that with the FLIR!

They're really not competitors, but if FLIR could make a much better ONE with similar resolution to this for a similar price, that would take over!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It just showed up.

Ewe Bass Turd!

Did ya get it yet!!!???

Got it!

Either I'm dumb or my handle is different because I don't see any way to make it into a tripod. It seems to be one piece.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Either I'm dumb or my handle is different because I don't see any way to make it into a tripod. It seems to be one piece.
View Quote

The hole on the bottom of the handle accepts a standard tripod screw, so you can mount it to any tripod.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:40:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The hole on the bottom of the handle accepts a standard tripod screw, so you can mount it to any tripod.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I thought the handle was supposed to have fold out portions to make a tripod. I ordered one like that anyway ahead of time though off ebay $5.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:56:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Oh I thought the handle was supposed to have fold out portions to make a tripod. I ordered one like that anyway ahead of time though off ebay $5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GorillaPod  

Don't actually need the handle if you're using a tripod, but I guess they thought it'd be nice to just have the handle to take off and switch to handheld.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Can this be connected to Google Glass which is an Android device too? It must have an USB port too for charging and I would be surprised if it didn't support these add-on devices. Some makeshift headmount for the ThermApp, Glass on your eye and you could really use it without scaring animals away with the light from the phone's display.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Can you switch back and forth between color and black and white? I think I prefer black and white.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes, a swipe of the screen changes the color mode.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I was going to order one of these, but it seems the website is down. darn.

[edit] nevermind - looks like the website is being blocked or it is a dns issue because i can view it on my phone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Can you switch back and forth between color and black and white? I think I prefer black and white.
View Quote

Yep.It can do that. It can toggle in Thermography mode: Rainbow, Grey and Iron.
https://vimeo.com/channels/799242/105250257

There is another mode call Night Vision. It is also in black and white. I can't tell the different with the Grey in Thermography mode.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#30]
so would you consider something like this a replacement for a hand held monocular, like a X320 or ATN OTS-X or is it too slow with the 8hz refresh?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There is another mode call Night Vision. It is also in black and white. I can't tell the different with the Grey in Thermography mode.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To me it seems to increase contrast at cost of some resolution.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
so would you consider something like this a replacement for a hand held monocular, like a X320 or ATN OTS-X or is it too slow with the 8hz refresh?
View Quote

Perhaps not a genuine *replacement* but certainly an alternative. The refresh rate, I think, is intentionally misrepresented. There's simply no way it's 8Hz. Either that, or they're running some spooky digital legerdemain to mitigate the slow refresh.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#33]
This is from their web site:

Based on the Johnson’s criteria, equipped with the default 19mm lens, your Therm-App™ device can spot a moving human target  at up to 500 m (1640 ft.) and a moving vehicle target at up to 1500 m (4921 ft.).
View Quote

Any problem with the phone not being activated / not having service?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess I don't follow - So is it faster than 8hz, or slower? Will I end up watching a slide show, or is it pretty usable? I ask, because that is one of my major complaints about the MX-1 line.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

However, since thermal is not affected by thin plastic, like a trashbag, you could put the entire thing into a Ziploc bag to keep moisture, dust, or the elements away from it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if something like this would work or if the plastic is too thick. It has a pump that allows you to vacuum seal the bag tight to the phone to be able to still use any buttons or touchscreen.
https://www.drycase.com/product/DC-13.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I wonder if something like this would work or if the plastic is too thick. It has a pump that allows you to vacuum seal the bag tight to the phone to be able to still use any buttons or touchscreen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found this link. What thermal can and can't see though I would imagine that the plastic would "mute" the image you are seeing. I am thinking that a small pelican case with a clear cover would work if you cut out a hole for the therm-app lens.

Basically use the clear side of the pelican to be able to see your phones screen, but cut out a hole on the other side for the lens to see though. Maybe a rubber gasket installed around the hole that the lens presses up against would work to keep out most moisture.

edit- option two would be a mini umbrella mounted to the top of your phone
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Based on the Johnson’s criteria, equipped with the default 19mm lens, your Therm-App™ device can spot a moving human target  at up to 500 m (1640 ft.) and a moving vehicle target at up to 1500 m (4921 ft.).

No I just got back from Wal-Mart and bought a boost mobile Moto-G. It has no service and works fine. I had been using it with my Galaxy Note 3. The Note is awesome with the huge screen but I wanted something I could keep dedicated to the device so it's a grab and go type thing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#38]
A video I took of a guy jogging with a dog about 50 yards away.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#39]
mancow....are you using the 19mm lens that comes with it? Wondering if the wide angle lens is a must have if I was to use this for scanning at night while hunting?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Perhaps not a genuine *replacement* but certainly an alternative. The refresh rate, I think, is intentionally misrepresented. There's simply no way it's 8Hz. Either that, or they're running some spooky digital legerdemain to mitigate the slow refresh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing the device is fully utilizing the processing power of our phones to "smooth" out everything.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
mancow....are you using the 19mm lens that comes with it? Wondering if the wide angle lens is a must have if I was to use this for scanning at night while hunting?
View Quote

I'm just using the included lens. I really don't think anything wider would be needed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm guessing the device is fully utilizing the processing power of our phones to "smooth" out everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if they are doing partial screen refreshing. If you move quickly the image will tilt a bit. Perhaps they are buffering a portion of the screen at a time and are building the image faster at a less than whole frame at a time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I wonder if they are doing partial screen refreshing. If you move quickly the image will tilt a bit. Perhaps they are buffering a portion of the screen at a time and are building the image faster at a less than whole frame at a time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would explain that "shimmer effect". Pretty nifty
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Can this be connected to Google Glass which is an Android device too? It must have an USB port too for charging and I would be surprised if it didn't support these add-on devices. Some makeshift headmount for the ThermApp, Glass on your eye and you could really use it without scaring animals away with the light from the phone's display.
View Quote

Don't know but I bet it could. I noticed it is communicating as a server somehow. If you don't let it initialize fully the first time of use with a new device it will pop up a box saying the server is not reachable.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#46]
WOW.  this is a great way to get into thermal for some.  very very cool if you ask me.  for the price, there is nothing out there that can touch it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Horta do you have any further review?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A video I took of a guy jogging with a dog about 50 yards away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQYgIVHykU&feature=youtu.be

View Quote

holy carp that performance is amazing.

Just ordered mine
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Horta do you have any further review?
View Quote

I won't until Monday / Tuesday. Heading out for the weekend and won't be able to touch a thermal outside of my wife.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:37:58 AM EDT
[#50]
cows at about 200 - 250 yards

I just recently realized you can pinch to zoom in

cows zoomed in

selfie

cat with good detail

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top