Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2014 9:09:45 AM EDT
What can the hive recommend for a weapon mounted white/IR light?  We have the WML, the various Scout lights and a couple combos meant for primarily pistol use.  Which light(s) should I consider and why?

TIA!
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Brightest combination if you want white/IR in one light I've found currently is the Surefire Vampire series.  M620V, M600 with KM2 head.

The new Surefire X300V is out now and offers both.  With a Unity Tactical EXO guard added, it could do rifle duty.  It works great as is on a pistol.

The Surefire M300V is supposed to be out shortly and will offer both white and IR.  Also, rumor has it the new LDI DBAL-PL will be out soon with both as well.

I have used the Inforce WML with both IR and white and found the IR really wanting power.  The Surefire IR lights have good throw and spill.

I also have one rifle set up with dedicated M620V on one side for IR and a M300B for white on the other.  For the ability to immediately go white without having to fiddle with anything, it is quick.  Adds a little bit of weight up front though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you seen the new Surefire slim profile Scouts?  Is there anything different with these new models other than the head itself?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you seen the new Surefire slim profile Scouts?  Is there anything different with these new models other than the head itself?
View Quote

Just looking at the heads, and the fact that they have the same output, I'm wondering if the new heads have more throw and less spill than the current V series.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just looking at the heads, and the fact that they have the same output, I'm wondering if the new heads have more throw and less spill than the current V series.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've not sure the old or new KM2 head but wouldn't a longer tighter beam (within reason) be welcomed?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've not sure the old or new KM2 head but wouldn't a longer tighter beam (within reason) be welcomed?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would probably be personal preference. With the lower output I'd absolutely take the tighter beam. If they ever got to Fury/600U levels I'd want more spill.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I would consider an m952v just because you can find them for ~$100-150 all day long.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone have any experience with the TLR VIR?

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its IR light is anemic, very, very anemic.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I would guess just by looking at the design. While it boasts a high (1000) mW rating, it's a single LED with no reflector.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Is it the limit of the technology or a lack of market interest that keeps us from seeing something with a 500+ lumen and bright/longer distance IR illuminator?  

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is it the limit of the technology or a lack of market interest that keeps us from seeing something with a 500+ lumen and bright/longer distance IR illuminator?  
View Quote

In the Vampires it's technology. From what I've read SF can't get their diode to do both and do it bright.

However, I'm sure the market wants higher output, at least for the white light. It's one reason why I'm interested in the LDI MK3. 500 lumens 600mW.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Check out the Nitecore Chameleon CI6 for $79

• White LED: CREE XP-G2 (R5) LED provides Maximum output of up to 440 lumens.
• Infrared LED provides 1500mW, 850nm
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to sound contrary, but he's looking for a weaponlight. I don't trust Candle-Power Forums favorite toy of the week to stand up to weapon recoil for any amount of time and prefer to stick with established weapon designed lights. Surefire, Insight, LDI, Streamlight, Inforce...

I've worked professionally testing firearms and peripherals and even a softshooting 5.56 AR will destroy electronics and optics in short order if not properly hardened against weapon recoil.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#14]
WML IR works fine. Not for long distance though.

TLR-1 IR does good. Just only IR
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not to sound contrary, but he's looking for a weaponlight. I don't trust Candle-Power Forums favorite toy of the week to stand up to weapon recoil for any amount of time and prefer to stick with established weapon designed lights. Surefire, Insight, LDI, Streamlight, Inforce...

I've worked professionally testing firearms and peripherals and even a softshooting 5.56 AR will destroy electronics and optics in short order if not properly hardened against weapon recoil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough, but I would say it depends on the OP's intended application. For my purposes, I'd rather have better performance at a lower price. As to build quality and reliability, I own two Nitecore flashlights, including the one mentioned, and I haven't had any problems with either. They have been dropped on concrete and mounted to both 5.45 and 7.62 with no issues. If for some reason, one happens to break (which I have no reason to expect), I could buy 4-5 replacements for the same price as some of those other lights that have been mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WML IR works fine. Not for long distance though.
View Quote

Another vote for the Inforce.  It's not the brightest IR light in the world, but it works fine out to the distance I'd feel comfortable shooting in the dark anyway.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's one reason why I'm interested in the LDI MK3. 500 lumens 600mW.
View Quote

This one should really be the unit to own when they finally start shipping.  Specs look really good.

Maybe I'll just "make do" with a WML or a used M952V off eBay for the time being.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This one should really be the unit to own when they finally start shipping.  Specs look really good.

Maybe I'll just "make do" with a WML or a used M952V off eBay for the time being.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's one reason why I'm interested in the LDI MK3. 500 lumens 600mW.

MSRP $699
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I have ordered the Inforce WML as well as the new Surefire X300V.  I'll try them both out and keep whichever I like best.

Pro's for the Inforce are the size, weight and single battery but it seems there are multiple complaints on multiple boards about the IR's lack of throw.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 on the Inforce

Within 100 yards it does fine. I like having the low and high options and the simple throw lever to switch from IR to White light.

They're the best bang for your buck. But a high end surefire will go further for 3x the price.

Have you looked at any dedicated IR illuminators yet?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:35:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Have you looked at any dedicated IR illuminators yet?
View Quote

I have not.  While the idea intrigues me I am hoping to find a good combo light to help keep weight down and save some rail space.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:40:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got the inforce and like it for indoors and up close. My scout is brighter and throws the beam a lot longer. Curious  to hear how the 300v works out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Is the new slimmer profile head the same one Surefire is using on the X300V?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#26]
What differences exist between this and the old style?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I use an Inforce as well.  

It isn't as powerful as others, but good enough in most cases and it is very compact and easy to use.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#29]
One thing I would have liked on the new Surefire is some kind of small bump or groove or something that can be felt with a finger to verify if the light is set on IR without having to test the light to see what it is set on.  This probably isn't a big deal in most cases but I think it could be important to be able to verify the setting by feel.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Is the beam adustable on any of the dual output lights?  I have messed with both the WML and the Surefire now and neither will really throw well at about 100 yards. This is using the house down the street as a guide.

The Surefire will illuminate the tree/bush about 60 up the street pretty well while the WML will only push out to about 40 yards. By comparison, an old school Streamlight Stinger rechargeable with an incandescent bulb and IR filter is easilyseen aagainst the house. House is lasered at 97 yards.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top