Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2014 8:09:32 AM EDT
I should receive it shortly (thank you tnvc) and wanted to know if its safe to assume that you can't mount a light too?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have mounted my Princeton Tec Switch on the top using some hook and loop. If you're creative, you can mount a small light like that pretty easily. Adapting a rail with a heavier light to it probably won't work all that well though. What light do you have?

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your replies.  I need more eye relief.  Envis eye piece touches my eyebrow. I am using Rhino II & wilcox shroud.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have mounted my Princeton Tec Switch on the top using some hook and loop. If you're creative, you can mount a small light like that pretty easily. Adapting a rail with a heavier light to it probably won't work all that well though. What light do you have?

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/RocketmanOU/DSC09470-2_zps3e5a7868.jpg
View Quote

I think I'm going to have to do something like this.  Were you able to do this with the included mounts?  One of the only things I miss about my helmet is the Surefire helmet light on the left side.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's what I did.  I used a 2" or 2 1/2' piece of polymer Magpul picatinny rail section and some flat screws.  I mounted the rail vertically to help with fitting  the side of my head.  It works great with this particular light (Streamlight Sidewinder Compact) since it pans and tilts.  I'm very happy with how it turned out.  It doesn't dig into the side of my head even with no padding.

Showing the inside of the cap and the flat nuts/ washer thingies:

Rail mounted with Sidewinder rail attachment piece:

Finished product with light mounted:
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's what I did.  I used a 2" or 2 1/2' piece of polymer Magpul picatinny rail section and some flat screws.  I mounted the rail vertically to help with fitting  the side of my head.  It works great with this particular light (Streamlight Sidewinder Compact) since it pans and tilts.  I'm very happy with how it turned out.  It doesn't dig into the side of my head even with no padding.
View Quote

Great mod, I might do the same!  I was thinking putting the rail sideways though. If it will need a small padding that's not a problem and I can always put a similar padding on the other side too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for your replies.  I need more eye relief.  Envis eye piece touches my eyebrow. I am using Rhino II & wilcox shroud.  Any suggestions?
View Quote

Anybody else have issues with needing more eye relief?  I have extended Rhino II as far is it can go and have removed the eyecup which helped a little bit as the eyepiece is no longer touching my eyebrow.  However it is still too close.  I am sure I'll get a nasty black eye if I run into anything.  I wonder if my issues is due to me using an Envis with "Envis to J arm adapter" (link below).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENVIS-to-PVS-14-J-ARM-ADAPTER-CONVERTER-For-Helmet-Head-Weapon-M703E-/281362065704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41827c6928

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Anybody else have issues with needing more eye relief?  I have extended Rhino II as far is it can go and have removed the eyecup which helped a little bit as the eyepiece is no longer touching my eyebrow.  However it is still too close.  I am sure I'll get a nasty black eye if I run into anything.  I wonder if my issues is due to me using an Envis with "Envis to J arm adapter" (link below).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENVIS-to-PVS-14-J-ARM-ADAPTER-CONVERTER-For-Helmet-Head-Weapon-M703E-/281362065704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41827c6928

Thank you
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

Not having experience with Envis on a nightcap with rhino 2, but I would imagine the issue is pretty much the same with PVS14 too. The J-arm brings the device very close, wonder why it's done like that. My MUM is perfect with the nightcap because it's J-arm is much straighter. I don't know if such exists even, but have you looked if there's other arm options that are shaped differently?

Edit: the Wilcox J-arm seems to be pretty straight, but I don't think it can be found with the bracket that suits Rhinos. That'd be a perfect arm for the Envis for Nightcap.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not having experience with Envis on a nightcap with rhino 2, but I would imagine the issue is pretty much the same with PVS14 too. The J-arm brings the device very close, wonder why it's done like that. My MUM is perfect with the nightcap because it's J-arm is much straighter. I don't know if such exists even, but have you looked if there's other arm options that are shaped differently?

Edit: the Wilcox J-arm seems to be pretty straight, but I don't think it can be found with the bracket that suits Rhinos. That'd be a perfect arm for the Envis for Nightcap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

Thank you for your reply.  To the best of my searching skills, I believe there is NOT any other options for Envis J arms.  I think its because Envis were not designed to be mounted on helmets.  I think I am SOL for now.  Eventually I plan on upgrading to a NVD Mirco or AB Nightvision NVM-2AA housing.  

Do you also extend your mount all the way forward?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you for your reply.  To the best of my searching skills, I believe there is NOT any other options for Envis J arms.  I think its because Envis were not designed to be mounted on helmets.  I think I am SOL for now.  Eventually I plan on upgrading to a NVD Mirco or AB Nightvision NVM-2AA housing.  

View Quote

No, I don't need to. If you compare pictures of a MUM with a J-arm and a PVS14 or Envis with a J-arm you will see how much closer they are to the eye compared to how a MUM mounts. Searched a few pics and even with a skull crusher the situation is the same, PVS14 & Envis usually seem to be retracted all the way forward.

Check the Wilcox J-arm design. The large dovetail is fastened with a screw and can be removed. A DIY fix for your issue could be to purchase one of those and then taking the standard J-arm apart and fastening the bracket part to where the dovetail was in the Wilcox arm. Search for pics and I think you'll understand what I mean. The Wilcox arm mounts the NVD so much further away that you would have no problems. The only problem is of course that it has the dovetail, but a bit of macgyverism will fix that

http://i.imgur.com/v8CoEoV.jpg

From this pic it's quite clear how the Wilcox arm brings the NVD forward by a few centimeters, which I guess would be more than enough. If you upgrade the housing later on, you might still run into the same issue with your Nightcap with the standard J-arm.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:42:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I sewed a small section of webbing to the outside and use an MPLS Switch. This provides a good location and still allows me to use over the head ear pro.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, I don't need to. If you compare pictures of a MUM with a J-arm and a PVS14 or Envis with a J-arm you will see how much closer they are to the eye compared to how a MUM mounts. Searched a few pics and even with a skull crusher the situation is the same, PVS14 & Envis usually seem to be retracted all the way forward.

Check the Wilcox J-arm design. The large dovetail is fastened with a screw and can be removed. A DIY fix for your issue could be to purchase one of those and then taking the standard J-arm apart and fastening the bracket part to where the dovetail was in the Wilcox arm. Search for pics and I think you'll understand what I mean. The Wilcox arm mounts the NVD so much further away that you would have no problems. The only problem is of course that it has the dovetail, but a bit of macgyverism will fix that

From this pic it's quite clear how the Wilcox arm brings the NVD forward by a few centimeters, which I guess would be more than enough. If you upgrade the housing later on, you might still run into the same issue with your Nightcap with the standard J-arm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

murtis,

Thank you for your help.  I am so thankful that there are people like yourself that is nice and willingness to help.  Your idea has put an idea in my head.....for now, I'll tap a new hole to move the point that the j arm screws in.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
murtis,

Thank you for your help.  I am so thankful that there are people like yourself that is nice and willingness to help.  Your idea has put an idea in my head.....for now, I'll tap a new hole to move the point that the j arm screws in.
View Quote

Thanks. Glad to help you and your idea sounds solid, and a lot easier than to modify the J-arm. Please post pics after you have the mod done!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top