Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 3:15:26 PM EDT
FLIR's diagnostic & research thermal units save their images in a radiometric JPG, allowing temp analysis & color palette changes, among other things with their software suite.

Do the handheld imagers like the H/HM/BHM also save the JPG with the thermal data, or are those images just screen caps?  I am formulating a research project involving thermal imaging of the human body & surrounding environment. The usual range will be arm's length to perhaps half gymnasium size.

The most likely candidates are more traditional measurement imagers in the T & EXX camera series, but I am curious if one of the detector units can be pressed into analytical duty.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe so, at least I cannot see any metadata on mine.

The thermography camera software interfaces specifically with the software in their thermal cameras though, don't believe the handhelds or thermal weapon sights have this software built into them? Plus they output video stream instead of individual frames.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for looking into it. I suspected that was the case, especially with the hefty price differential between the viewers & cameras.  Without actually having access to a file saved from a viewer, I was in the dark, so to speak.

I suppose a device marketed for diagnostic & measuring applications would probably look better on a medical research proposal than a "tactical" item anyway. "Serial images of temperature differential were obtained using a FLIR Recon M24."
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been drooling over their new thermal cameras and would love to get a hold of a used one.

Even one with a 320 core would be awesome.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
One of our good members sent me a couple TS images.

As far as I can tell, they are indeed straight-up screen caps. The EXIF data is sparse and they won't open in the FLIR ios app.

A 320 imager would be cool, but I'd even probably be satisfied with the 240. I'm really eyeing the EXX series for this project. They share the swappable lenses with the T420/440 and have a little better environmental protection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top