Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2013 2:12:15 PM EDT
Longtime lurker here  

I just purchased and received my ATN ThOR scope after a bunch of fence-sitting, forum-surfing, and toy envy.  After a full night of chasing my cat around the backyard, it confirmed that I'm going to need a recording option on this rig to document the nighttime shenanigans.

What are you thermal/digisight users using to record your hunts?  What has worked (or not)?  I've seen a couple of packaged options from vendors, but little to no reviews.

Special thanks to Cheeks, BushmanLA, SkyPup and others for making it easy to fork over savings so easily
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Digisight'ers are using the Angel Eyes KS-650M off of E bay, it is cheapy chinese copy of the Yukon MPR system and it does not record audio - no matter what anybody advertises (no audio).

Goes for about 75 bucks shipped to your door.

I have seen a few other units that cost more but I wouldn't say they necessarily do more....

having a screen to view while the video is recording is a nice option.

Sightmark has a CVR640, however it was a bit buggy - recording pictures instead of video and losing sync during recoil.

Goodluck and welcome to the DVR club.

BB
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks BB - and thank you for providing/contributing video incentive to me heading to the poor house too!

I thought the screen would be a nice touch, that is until I realized that the glow may give me away.  Are the off-the-shelf models any better or worse?  I guess my biggest concern would be recoil endurance (suppressed suoer 300 BO) and durability (weather conditions).

What's your favorite?

Thanks CTM for the links!
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Be sure to get a DVR that has a screen shut off, you will need the screen to setup the video recording and audio levels but then when on standby the screen should black out. Also, you want to look at the screen to be certain that it is hooked up and running properly before putting it on standby.

Any portable DVR that records NTSC 30 fps in 720X640 pixel resolution should work, the ones made in China are a dive, get one from Japan or Taiwan for higher quality.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks SkyPup!  I'll check out the options that you specified...

And my rig wants to be like yours when it grows up - got the Sig, just need the rest of it
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks SkyPup!  I'll check out the options that you specified...

And my rig wants to be like yours when it grows up - got the Sig, just need the rest of it
View Quote

Nice! the one I am using mostly is the only waterproof model I know of on the market, and I need a waterproof one as we often are caught out deep in the swamps in downpours at night.

There are ALLOT of cheap crappy rigs out there, don't cheap out on getting a POS and then having to replace it two, three, four times, get a good one and stick with it, just like your gun and your thermal!
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Actually, if anyone does go for the cheaper Angel Eyes recorder, the only real fault is that it isn't weatherproof. The quality of the recording is very good, but only if you get the older model with the smaller screen and lower resolution ( recording resolution is still 640x480 ). The newer model with the larger screen and higher resolutions is garbage. The older model also uses the Mini form factor SD card - between Micro and Standard, so will almost certainly require an adapter.

For anyone wanting to make a DIY solution, it's good value and you can always seal it in a small container.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be sure to get a DVR that has a screen shut off, you will need the screen to setup the video recording and audio levels but then when on standby the screen should black out. Also, you want to look at the screen to be certain that it is hooked up and running properly before putting it on standby.

Any portable DVR that records NTSC 30 fps in 720X640 pixel resolution should work, the ones made in China are a dive, get one from Japan or Taiwan for higher quality.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/T70%20DVR.jpg
View Quote

Skypup do my eyes deceive me or do you have another 30 foot cord on the thermal again
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
OUCHY MOMMA!

I am going to neuter that cord and resolder it to fit perfectly when I get some spare time.....
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#10]
SChunter -

Glad you dig the vids!

The Angel Eyes can be setup to record wirth the screen off.

I have used the heck out of mine with no issues, although I do not subject it to recoil or wet conditions.  I treat it as a 75 dollar unit should be handled.

Of course if you are an extreme hunter like SkyPup then your going to be paying more for rock solid gear.

You can always use a cheapy DVR as backup or for another hunter who accompanies you....

BB
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I want to get a DVR for my ThOR that produces the best possible video recording quality, has an internal mic for audio, and is small enough to mount on a rail. It does not have to be waterproof for my use. What is a good option for my needs?

It looks like SkyPup is using the SPI unit but I don't think it has an internal mic (correct me if I'm wrong). The lawmate units don't mention audio recording on the description page and the Angel Eyes does not record audio either. The Yukon MPR seems to do what I want but I can't figure out where to buy one in the US. Thanks for the help and I'll return the favor with some coyote hunting videos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top