Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 6:24:33 PM EDT
Morovision AN/PVS-2 Scope G1S Weaponsight used during the Vietnam War. Bought in 2000. Fits M-14, M-16 and AR-15 picatinny rails. Uses 4 AA Batteries. Excellent condition.

I was wondering if I could swap out the tube for the 8709HP as seen in cj7hawks DIY Cascade project?  If its doable I will buy one of those tubes and poke it back.  I know that there are better set-ups out there and one day I might actually have the AB housed pvs14.  

I Need input is it a worthwhile install?

NV illumination assistance needed as well.
I am also new to the NV side if things, and have been reading about IR lights.  I do not fully understand which route to go as fara Nm?  I see some inexpensive 3w 80?nm lights and some 5w 90?Nm lights.  Am I understanding correctly that with Gen 1 or most Gen II that I need to stay in the 800 range of the Nm scale?  I would like to buy a light that I can use with this AN/PVS2 and the German Zeiss/Orion 80 z51 that i have.

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The tube will fit but you will lose your reticle. The AN/PVS-2's tube (MX-7894 for future reference) uses a reticle that is etched on a piece of glass that is bonded on to the fiber optic faceplate of the first tube in the stack. You could attempt to bond a different reticle on the tube at the front or back end and it might work or it might not. STANO components can add an Israeli style reticle on an unmarked tube but it is expensive.

So, yes, you can use a PH8079 tube but you will not be able to use your scope as a weapon sight without some home brew work on your part. It will make an excellent 4x viewer however.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]

How much space is there between the tube photocathode FO face and the lens nearest it?

If there's 3-4mm, then you can buy a reticle from the Surplus Shed and bond it to the FO plate.

I've done that before as an experiment, but couldn't find a decent set of adjustment to make the project worthwhile, so converted it back to being a spotter. Might need some index matching gel also.

Regards

David
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top