Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 4:46:20 PM EDT
ITT makes a coupler for use with a camera.  What lens type is appropriate:  standard, macro, other?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I plan to try this as soon as I get a PVS-14. I've been thinking about it for awhile, and here's where I'd start:

50mm f/1.4 lens on the 5D mark II (The 50mm is widely regarded as the closest equivalent to the human eye on a full frame 35mm sensor. Use a 35mm lens if you have a camera with a 1.6 crop factor to achieve a similar result. )
Tripod (This is a must, as the shutter speed will most likely be too slow to prevent camera shake.)
Cable Shutter Release (Again, just to make sure the camera is absolutely still during the full exposure.)
Manual Focus (From what I've heard, focus is a bit of a trick. I would focus the PVS-14, and then manually focus the lens to achieve the sharpest result.)
Manual Exposure (The camera is NOT going to give you a true to life exposure automatically.)

I'd need to play with the camera/PVS-14 setup a bit to nail down exposure settings, but here's what I'd try first:
ISO at 100-400 to keep the noise low
Aperture at f/4 to f/8 for a deep depth of field to help minimize focus error
Shutter Speed as slow as needed (up to 30 seconds on the tripod) to result in an exposure that's as true to life as possible. I'd start by metering one full stop under 0 and adjust as needed.

I hope to get my first PVS-14 next Spring, so let me know if you find something that does or doesn't work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Crank off an IM to Chip Lasky at TNVC - user id TNVC_clasky .  He is a wizard behind the camera.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Planning on ordering the TNV/PVS14 L3 Omni next week and the camera adaptor.  Have a friend that has a bobcat camping out behind his house.  Deer and rabbits behind mine and the lake in front.  Looking forward to getting some moon reflections off of the water when the water level gets back to normal, 10-12' below right now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:08:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top