Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2012 6:34:52 AM EDT
Greetings NV community:

I have owned and field tested the N550 verision of this scope over the last year, see Previous post for Digisight N550 , and Bennybone's Videos

It is my goal to get my hands on one of the first units available in the US of the newer generation N750.  If you have connections in the business world and can make this a reality for me send me a private message ;)

To this point here is the published information on the scope:

Pulsar's official link

A video teaser from a business with extensive Pulsar experience - in the U.K.

Video of N750 use (video is not mine)

At first blush this new version appears to utilize a better video display, have a built in digital zoom (doubler) and offers red and green reticles.

What is the community's opinion of the display alone increasing the "perception" of a better image to the brain?  Theortically the scope would still be challenged in low light conditions IF the CCD array is untouched, so what difference would a better display offer?

BB
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks interesting I wonder how much the improvement really is over the standard 550 rifle scope. One of the land owners I lease hunting rights on has a 550 scope my gen 3 stuff blows it away side by side but to be honest the 550 does a good job placing shoots on target at his normal 50-75 yard range and the first time I looked through his scope I was surprised it worked so well compared to cheap digital viewers I had seen in the past.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looks interesting I wonder how much the improvement really is over the standard 550 rifle scope.

I will be doing side by side comparison of the N550 and N750 of the same scenery to find out.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I saw where the new 750 uses a Laser IR Illum that should really boost the IR range.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Hello all

The Pulsar Digisight N750 has not yet been launched here in the UK, so consumers are still awaiting delivery of stock to dealers also

At present we are one of the few dealers with an N750 for evaluation and demonstration etc so are very privalaged to have been able to put it through its paces, thanks to the UK Pulsar distributor who are fantastic to work with,  and I must say the N750 is an incredible device.

We are a Pulsar retailer in the UK, and in fact it was our video that the Original Poster posted.

We have also created a review of the N750 so should you be interested, you can view it here

Sadly due to export restrictions we can only sell N750's to UK residents, but we are happy to share our experiences with you.

Pulsar Digisight N750 Review

The new N750 has the following enhancements

Up to 600metres detection range (ideal viewing conditions)
OLED Display
1.5x Digital Zoom
Built in Laser IR Illuminator (variable power)
Highly Sensitive CCD Array
Sumlight
Wireless Remote Control
Illuminated Red/Green reticle

Thank you for reading, and I hope my posting is allowed on the forum as I am a dealer but of course cannot supply you so not trying to sell you kit!

Our very best regards

Scott Country
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I am sure that we would not ONLY talk about the Pulsar if you carried the product in inventory.

I am willing to do a non-marketing review of the Pulsar N750 against the N550 (which I have onhand) and the Elcan IF you care to provide me a unit to compare - I will pay shipping both ways.

To me the more information that can be shared the better for the community.

BB
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hello all

The Pulsar Digisight N750 has not yet been launched here in the UK, so consumers are still awaiting delivery of stock to dealers also

At present we are one of the few dealers with an N750 for evaluation and demonstration etc so are very privalaged to have been able to put it through its paces, thanks to the UK Pulsar distributor who are fantastic to work with,  and I must say the N750 is an incredible device.

We are a Pulsar retailer in the UK, and in fact it was our video that the Original Poster posted.

We have also created a review of the N750 so should you be interested, you can view it here

Sadly due to export restrictions we can only sell N750's to UK residents, but we are happy to share our experiences with you.

Pulsar Digisight N750 Review

The new N750 has the following enhancements

Up to 600metres detection range (ideal viewing conditions)
OLED Display
1.5x Digital Zoom
Built in Laser IR Illuminator (variable power)
Highly Sensitive CCD Array
Sumlight
Wireless Remote Control
Illuminated Red/Green reticle

Thank you for reading, and I hope my posting is allowed on the forum as I am a dealer but of course cannot supply you so not trying to sell you kit!

Our very best regards

Scott Country

Thanks for joining and posting, I follow your website's information as you seem to get ahold of the cool gear months in advance of us seeing it in the States.  

I DO NOT intend to cross-post every video that you make for the N750 into this thread, the community can go to your website if they choose.  What I aim to do is post my own videos of hog and varmit hunting, which is the prevalent use here in the Great State of Texas.

BB

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am sure that we would not ONLY talk about the Pulsar if you carried the product in inventory.

I am willing to do a non-marketing review of the Pulsar N750 against the N550 (which I have onhand) and the Elcan IF you care to provide me a unit to compare - I will pay shipping both ways.

To me the more information that can be shared the better for the community.

BB

NO purpose to sell Digi in our inventory.  We only work with true NV (light amplification devices) that can really see in the dark.    We tried with Supervision and it failed miserably and nothing much has changed on the digital arena.  

As stated many times, I truly hope digital can come to a point where it may be useable in dark conditions (no moon, cloud cover etc.) but it has a lot of work ahead of itself being  a non-light amplification device.  

Hope this helps.
Vic

Vic -

Your input is ALWAYS welcomed and ALWAYS informative.

As stated a number of times in the previous "Digital NV" thread on this forum, I do not see any point in comparing digital (apples) to true NV tube technology (Oranges).

This thread will serve to benefit those who have a limited amount of money (Peanuts) to spend on nightvision devices.

Irrespective of digital's place in the technological pecking order there is a HUGE market in the 1000 - 2000 dollar range between Gen 1 crap on the shelves at local hunting depots and the top flight gear that you sale.

BB
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#11]
The newest thing on the market I have seen in digital is in this at these links but who knows how true any of their claims are until we see some real product as SV made many of the same statements :    

http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=50822  

http://www.intevac.com/intevacphotonics/vision-systems/vision-systems-products/nightport/

As far as current digital I have seen a handful of units they all need IR in rural dark areas period where no moon or urban light is helping out. Do to that fact shooting range normally depends on how strong of a IR Illum you are using. For tactical life or death use I haven't seen a digital unit that I would choose to use. For closer range hunting/ looking around the yard at night I can see where it would have some uses depending on type of setup/range needed and so on. Being that NV is my main hobby I kind of enjoy using all types of systems gen 1,2,3, digital its just cool to me that said higher end gen 2 and 3 is really where you get into higher performing systems.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted: Vic

If I find a Elcan unit, I will send you one.  Let me know, it would be most appreciated.

I realize the Elcan and the Pulsar also are weapon mountable and of course insuring units hold zero under recoil etc. are also VERY important for these devices so I'm not discounting that.  I intend to mount the Pulsar N750 on a 6.5mm caliber semi auto and fire 1000 rounds to test zero hold.  I can do the same for the Elcan...

[/ul]I also saw your other post about the digi clip-on. Now this will be interesting since real NV clip-on's can suffer at night due to a multitude of reasons such as equipment quality, (i.e type of day scope used), magnification, distance etc.  Now using a digital clip-on device can and will compound these potential issues DRAMATICALLY especially since the whole reason for digital is an affordable device itself.  Odds are, 90% of customers are going to be using a "economical day scope" which do not bring in half the light or clarity a high end day optic does.  Couple that with an already low light deficiency digital device with a low light/resolution gathering day scope...Not sure here.  Time will tell.  I dunno, as far as I can tell this is the first ever, commercially available digital forward mounted device, clip on.  It may be good or bad, I don't see how a scope can focus on a digital screen  I intend to test it with a 56mm objective Millet LRS which retails for ~ 300.00 so I think that is inline with the budget of people who would be buying these units.   IF YOU WANT TO SEND A MINI WASP my way I can do a comparison -
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's so interesting, you all talk ONLY about the Pulsar.  From the interests we get, everyone wants to see a REAL comparison and that is against another DIGITAL device and the only competition is the Elcan Day/Night Hunter.

Since Digi's lack so much (still today) in caparison to a true NV device and the last Supervision go-around I was worn out with low light performance suffering hugely , I will leave it to "others" who need to really show a comparison of the Elcan unit vs. the Pulsar.  That would at least give the consumers something that digi can compare itself to.  

Hopefully a non-marketing review can happen.

Vic

Are you serious? The Elcan day/night hunters are terrible compared to the Digi's. There image is atrocious, and you're looking at maybe 75 yards max at night.

That's like comparing Peyton Manning to Ryan Leaf.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

NO purpose to sell Digi in our inventory.  We only work with true NV (light amplification devices) that can really see in the dark.    We tried with Supervision and it failed miserably and nothing much has changed on the digital arena.  

As stated many times, I truly hope digital can come to a point where it may be useable in dark conditions (no moon, cloud cover etc.) but it has a lot of work ahead of itself being  a non-light amplification device.  

Hope this helps.

Vic

Bah, don't be a tube snob.  :)

It it works half as good at 49% of the price, it is still a win for most people.

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps.

Vic

Bah, don't be a tube snob.  :)  

It it works half as good at 49% of the price, it is still a win for most people.

I agree. I'm not saying they should equip everyone in Afghanistan with one, but the average guy thats going to shoot yotes, or hogs the digi is an absolute homerun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#17]
A couple of new videos , in this unbiased review I have to say, the video is not what I was expecting from the next generation of digi nightvision.  Perhaps ScottCountry or Sellmark will chime in on the effect we are seeing (heavy grain almost like masking or noisy video).

Vid # 1

Not my vid, N750 at night - notice how there appears to be a screen door effect....

Video # 2

Not my vid - seems to be grainy as well, at 150 meters the man is fuzzy.  

If anyone can confirm whether the n750 and n550 share the same CCD array or signal path configuration this might explain the poor quality of the videos.  Obviously without a unit in hand I am unable to do an A to B comparison with my IR light setup and n550.

Still no word on a delivery date to the US.

I am posting current vids as they become availble from abroad, feel free to do the same if you find new N750 content.

BB
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 12:59:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Hello,

I have used a Pulsar Digisight N750 Digital Night Vision extensively, several weeks before it was even launched in the UK.

As far as I was aware the N750 and N550 DOES share the same CCD array, and this was confirmed by the Pulsar agency Sales Manager.

However I have the official specifications which confirm further.

Specifications to compare below chaps:

N550 CCD Array Type     ICX659AL
N750 CCD Array Type  ICX659AL

Here is a brief demo video we shot, as a demo video

www.scottcountry.co.uk Pulsar N750 Demo Video

The N750 footage itself has not been altered or enhanced in any way, and I can honestly say I have not experienced any of the issues above and our demo N750 has performed flawlessly.

I just wish we could supply you guys, but due to Export controls on ML rated goods, and dealer agreements regarding supply to resident countries, we only supply N750 to UK residents.

I am happy to set an N550 and N750 up on the same target and post side by side comparisons if you wish?

Best Regards

Paul Stewart
Sales Manager
Scott Country
www.scottcountry.co.uk

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 2:21:03 AM EDT
[#19]
As it happens I was pointed out someones You Tube video who has modified a Digisight to take a lens conversion, a clever idea i thought, however not one i would urge people to consider as it would be very easy to damage an expensive piece of equipment.

However if they feel they must go down this route, to ensure you do so when the three year warranty has expired!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSyfGLrWc2o&feature=channel&list=ULhttp://

This happens to be the same You Tube channel owner it appears, I wondered if the excessive noise is related at all to the internal modification causing a fault as I have extensively used N750's and they perform perfectly.

Well I have had an official answer.....

The reason for this "noise" in the video you guys posted we have been informed is actually due to the onboard laser which to meet FDA eyesafe requirements has had an added filter. The recording process has actually exaggerated this as it is not as noticeable to the human eye.

Of course the addition of a Laserluchs IR Laser, or a Pulsar L-808 laser illuminator to the side rail will increase performance and not have this filter image apparent.

Best Regards

Scott Country
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Paul -

Thanks for the response and information, it is good to hear that the CCD array remains the same.

I sure hope that guy didn't bust up his own scope on account of the doubler install , not sure if we will ever know.  When I saw the other user post video (Russians along rail and bridge) I wasn't seeing good clean video (signal) in that post either so that is what prompted me to ask here in hopes that foreign based users would chime in.

If you can I would really like to see the same object at 100 meters recorded with identical DVRs under the same lighting conditions, this was to be the tests that I was going to run but if you can set it up now that would be great.  Of course if you could also activate the push button zoom on the N750 to show what the resulting images look like AND to demonstrate if the POA or POI shift based on activation of the digital zoom, it would be much appreciated by me.

Lastly, with the N550 series scopes the only doubler options were mechanical (lense in front of lense in an adaptor) however the n750  employs a digital zoom - are you seeing that one of those options provides a superior image over the other?  Sometime digital zoom features on video and still camera can wreak havoc on the images.

Thanks again and I wish as well that you could supply us  with the scopes but the GOVT says rules are rules  ;)

BB
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I have just edited my post above, as I had an official answer to the "video noise"

The reason for this "noise" in the video you guys posted, we have been informed is actually partly due to the onboard laser which to meet USA FDA eyesafe requirements has had an added filter.

The recording process has actually exaggerated this as it is not as noticeable to the human eye. I fired up an N750 as i typed this, lights out in our office, and this effect was not noticeable at all from lights out to all lights on!

Of course the addition of a Laserluchs IR Laser, or a Pulsar L-808 laser illuminator to the side rail will increase performance and not have this filter image apparent.

As the Digital Zoom is effectively "zooming" in on the pixels, the digital POI remains constant.

Best Regards

Scott Country
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Hi

We will set up a rubber Roe Deer target at the end of our yard, which sadly is not quite 100m, but will give the desired comparison effect.

We can then tripod mount an N550 and N750 side by side, and record.

I will upload the footage then as it is without enhancement.

Here is a video in our dark warehouse we shot with our sample unit last month

Scott Country Digisight Dark Room Test

Problem is here in Scotland it does not get dark until approx 10.30-11pm this time of season, so it may have to be over the weekend when we get time.

We will however upload a daytime comparison tommorow, tripod mounted, and a comparison in our dark warehouse against a competition target.

Regards

Paul
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Paul -

Great job running down an answer on the noisy video, now that user can try night recording with an IR illuminator to check his scope.

With regards to how the digital zoom is engineered let me clarify my question, does the zoom function to the center of the display as default or to the center of the reticle?

There are many many varibles that effect where a user has their reticles for optimum zeroing, so for example if the reticle is halfway above or below 0,0 X/Y axis and digital zoom is engaged and if the zoom occurs to 0,0 (middle of display) well then you can start to get a picture of the problem.

Since you have contacts at Pulsar, see if they can send a unit to the States legally for demo purposes only (not for resale) to their US contingent, I offer myself up as a field test engineer :)

Best Regards,

Ben
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Dear Ben

Thank you for your email.

I will look into the reticle for you and come back accordingly.

As for supplying an N750 to the USA, unfortunately you would need to speak to your local dealer in your county, and ask if they can contact Pulsar to arrange.

Image intensifier weapon sights, and optical weapon sights with a magnification of above 4x are strictly controlled for export in the UK, and even though the N750 does not contain an image intensifier, it is still classed as controlled for export, so we can have no part in arranging a demo, or supplying a unit for retail, you would need to contact Pulsar directly to see if they can supply to a US dealer.

Pulsar i would image have a distributor in the US?

Regards

Scott Country

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:28:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
you would need to contact Pulsar directly to see if they can supply to a US dealer.

Regards

Scott Country

Paul -

I have contacted the US distributor and they have been great to talk with and very accomodating, there just isn't any firm date for importation of this model to the States right now.  

Thanks and I look forward to your night time side by side comparison, for kicks see if you can recreate the issue the other user was having - then in the same video show that it doesnt manifest on the recorded image with a standard IR illuminator.

Brgds,

Ben
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Dear Ben

As for supplying an N750 to the USA, unfortunately you would need to speak to your local dealer in your county, and ask if they can contact Pulsar to arrange.

Image intensifier weapon sights, and optical weapon sights with a magnification of above 4x are strictly controlled for export in the UK, and even though the N750 does not contain an image intensifier, it is still classed as controlled for export, so we can have no part in arranging a demo, or supplying a unit for retail, you would need to contact Pulsar directly to see if they can supply to a US dealer.

Regards

Scott Country

Hi Scott,

I think you will find that permits for export for such items can be reasonably obtained in the UK and would let you export any quantity to the US.

I don't know if that's helpful to you at all, as you may also have dealer restrictions from whoever supplies you, but it's certainly possible.

It should also be possible to source these models from Australia to the US, but I would expect the costs to be ridiculous.

I like these scopes and think that the designers did a great job, but they are still priced a little high for the US, IMO, since you can get a new Gen2 M845 for well under $2000 which is a seriously impressive military scope.

I keep hoping to see a digital come out with a basic reticle for under US$300 with a 50-100m range and know it's technically possible. I guess it's just a matter of time before such a model hits the market.

Regards

David

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Dear Ben

Regards

Scott Country

Hi Scott,  

I think you will find that permits for export for such items can be reasonably obtained in the UK and would let you export any quantity to the US.

I don't know if that's helpful to you at all, as you may also have dealer restrictions from whoever supplies you, but it's certainly possible.

It should also be possible to source these models from Australia to the US, but I would expect the costs to be ridiculous.

I like these scopes and think that the designers did a great job, but they are still priced a little high for the US, IMO, since you can get a new Gen2 M845 for well under $2000 which is a seriously impressive military scope.

I keep hoping to see a digital come out with a basic reticle for under US$300 with a 50-100m range and know it's technically possible. I guess it's just a matter of time before such a model hits the market.

Regards
David

+1

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top