Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2011 1:20:21 PM EDT
Hello,

I picked up one of these from Copes and must say I am impressed.  One question though, the straps that hold the front lens cap on cracked due to age.  Can anybody hazard a guess for a suitable replacement?  It even had a NSN molded into it: 5855-12-169-5911.

Regards

Porter_Wagoner
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The 1 I got today were also split. I'm not gonna mess w/ it because there is probably no replacement around. I did call Zeiss today and they have NO information on this unit. It must be a Germany thing only. I'm ready for night fall.

I also cleaned my knobs w/ an old tooth brush and the white really looks better.  I took all the knobs off and cleaned under the caps. It was dirty but cleaned up nicely and they have a full range of motion. There have been those who are concerned about the eye cup and pressing it to open.

Take the cap off and turn it over. Use a razor blade to trim the flaps off and you don't have to press or remove the eye cup. I never liked the idea of removing it while shooting as some have suggested. I like being able block out all other distractions and the cup does a good job
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It would be cool to know iif they sent the older units over first and keep the better/ less used units until later..............................or..........................they may have sent the better ones over first to get all the hype up and then ship the worst ones.

What are your opinions?
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello,

I picked up one of these from Copes and must say I am impressed.  One question though, the straps that hold the front lens cap on cracked due to age.  Can anybody hazard a guess for a suitable replacement?  It even had a NSN molded into it: 5855-12-169-5911.

Regards

Porter_Wagoner

I doubt you can find a replacement. Just rig something out of some sturdy rubber bands if you can, or bicycle inner tube.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It would be cool to know iif they sent the older units over first and keep the better/ less used units until later..............................or..........................they may have sent the better ones over first to get all the hype up and then ship the worst ones.

What are your opinions?

Very conspiracy theory there....surplus is usually just that, someone finds a good deal and ships what they have.

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are your opinions?

Very conspiracy theory there....surplus is usually just that, someone finds a good deal and ships what they have.

Yeah, probably somone with some reasonable connections made the Ze Germanz a nice offer on a good chunk of their stock of these.

As far surplus goes these are quite nice and well cared for.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I got an update on my scope. I took it out to a local river this weekend. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and all the stars were out but no moon (that I could see). I fired up the scope and looked around. The image was very dark and could barely make out the tree in the river that I had seen in the daylight. I sent my scope back to Copes today. It cost me $20 to ship back and I won't get the $10 shipping charge that they originally charge me for. I'm gonna pass on another one cuz I'm not interested paying shipping back and forth until I find a decent scope. I also had to send the mount back to SWFA that cost me $6. It cost me nearly $40 just to get everything to my house and try it.

I'm disappointed but glad I could return it and get most of my money back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to question that you might have got a bum one, but you did remember to take the rubber cap off the front at night and that the power switch is a three position off/on with shade/on with no shade, right?

If it was on with the shade it would look somewhat dim in low light, but with the power rheostat rortated the whole way ( the shade disengaged) it should look brigth green.

Link Posted: 9/7/2011 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I sure did. The image did look like the end cap was on but I know the rubber end cap was off. I twisted all 3 knobs to make sure that I didn't miss something. I was just the 1 to get the bad 1. I will take 1 for the team
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I sure did. The image did look like the end cap was on but I know the rubber end cap was off. I twisted all 3 knobs to make sure that I didn't miss something. I was just the 1 to get the bad 1. I will take 1 for the team

That sucks!  Sorry that you got the one bum one in the batch...they supposedly tested all of them that came in...

You didn't by chance put the original German batteries in, did you?  I read on Copes' subforum on another forum that they did that witht he first scope they opened and it appeared to burn out the tube.  They said you should only use new batteries

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Something must have been wrong. See here..

The first picture shows the image of the Orion scope you normally should get.
In comparison, second picture shows Zeiss NSV80 front attachment scope + Hensoldt 6-24x72, set on 6x mag. The tube used is most likely DEP SuperGen or XD-4
I'd say these are pretty much on par.

http://www.finnaccuracy.com/orion.html

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Are those 8 white dots in the top pic the reticle?

Quoted:
Something must have been wrong. See here..

The first picture shows the image of the Orion scope you normally should get.
In comparison, second picture shows Zeiss NSV80 front attachment scope + Hensoldt 6-24x72, set on 6x mag. The tube used is most likely DEP SuperGen or XD-4
I'd say these are pretty much on par.

http://www.finnaccuracy.com/orion.html

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/flex297/ZeissFEROZ51Orionp09.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/flex297/ZeissNSV80Hensoldt6-24x72mmscope.jpg

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I used 2 brand new batteries. If the image had been as clear as the pics above then I would have ordered another instead of sending it back. The image was that clear @ 40-50 yards and closer but beyond that was a no see um.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Those pics look like they were taken in the snow, where everything is bright. Not to say they were but it looks like that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 4:43:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are those 8 white dots in the top pic the reticle?
Ranging aiming reticle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 4:44:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Those pics look like they were taken in the snow, where everything is bright. Not to say they were but it looks like that.

Yeah, looks liek you're right.. Looks like it was Finnish who made the test.. As we know, there's lotsa snow in Finland ;)

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I got one from HK Parts, arrived yesterday. Copes was sold out when I tried to order. Anyway, the longest stretch of "pitch black" I could find was 225 yards. I could clearly see objects at that distance, but it did have some "sparkles" near the  center of the scope. It came with everything pictured except the 4 C cell batteries and the ARMS 7 mount. The rubber eye piece will be very irritating for anyone who wears glasses, but it works fine without it ...

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Got a call from Copes yesterday. The gentleman was very polite and asked a few questions about the scope and the problems that I had. He informed me that you could get a hand selected scope for an extra $10. I asked the girl who took my order originally and she said that they didn't do that. They also would have sent me a call tag to return the scope but again the girl I spoke with said as long as it works then it would be my responsibility to return it on my dime.

I was a little irritated to find these things out after the fact but thought I would pass them along to future buyers. I would buy from them again when the opportunity presents itself. They will issue a credit to my Visa which is what I requested.

I didn't ask before but I did notice the same sparkling in the very center of the image when the scope was on. What is that?
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got a call from Copes yesterday. The gentleman was very polite and asked a few questions about the scope and the problems that I had. He informed me that you could get a hand selected scope for an extra $10. I asked the girl who took my order originally and she said that they didn't do that. They also would have sent me a call tag to return the scope but again the girl I spoke with said as long as it works then it would be my responsibility to return it on my dime.

I was a little irritated to find these things out after the fact but thought I would pass them along to future buyers. I would buy from them again when the opportunity presents itself. They will issue a credit to my Visa which is what I requested.

I didn't ask before but I did notice the same sparkling in the very center of the image when the scope was on. What is that?

Yeah the "spakiles" in the center are present in every gen1 scope I own to various degrees, and even some older gen2 scopes I have. As to what they are I think its due to the most light being focused on the center area of the scope.

And I am jealous of you guys who got ruibber cover bits on adjustment knobs...
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#19]
That manual shown in the above photo says it covers ORION 80 I, and ORION 80 II

Anyone know the differences between those 2 models?
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That manual shown in the above photo says it covers ORION 80 I, and ORION 80 II

Anyone know the differences between those 2 models?

The II is a gen 2.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Reticle pattern of Orion 80 II is not the same to Orion 80 I, as you can see inthe Zeiss data-sheet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Batteries, what are the correct type?

Manual specifies 1.5Volt
Supplied batteries in the case are 1.2Volt
Literature I have says 2.5Volts, and "Rechargeable"

Can Alkaline batts be used? The manual specs Ni-Cad
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#23]
you can use regular c batts.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Excuse me for off, but I`d like to see Orion 80 II photos...
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Johny Reb,
Would you mind copying and posting the crucial pages of that manual of yours? I did figure out the basic operation of mine, but questions remain.
There are two screws in an unopened pouch, what are they for?
Do you have to rotate the eye piece every time you look through it, or just one time focusing like a day scope?
What is the proper operation of the shade?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:00:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Those are spare screws for attaching the scope to the various mounts included with the container. There are already about 3 pairs of the same screws used.

For everyones information, the mounting style being used is called STANAG. Its popular in Europe, mostly among military optics, and involves two "posts that extend from a scopes main body. with milled pads and screw holes on the bottom.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#27]
so for those of us that are interested in taking a first step into NV.....is this a good deal or no?  I like the idea of shooting critters at night at the ranch, but not enough to drop a couple K on something.

looks like maybe this scope is a 4.5x, but can it be put in front of another scope on a long rail and used only as NV and the "daytime scope" be used for its crosshairs and magnification?

insight, for the NV noob please.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Johny Reb,
Would you mind copying and posting the crucial pages of that manual of yours? I did figure out the basic operation of mine, but questions remain.
Do you have to rotate the eye piece every time you look through it, or just one time focusing like a day scope?
What is the proper operation of the shade?

I have a PDF of the manual if folks here need a copy its in german, use a free translation site if you need parts of it translated

its free give time to get it to you and in the subject line put zeiss orion so I know you are not spam

reach me at [email protected],

Jack
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks Jack, I'll take you up on that.
By the way I ran into trouble with the included screws trying to mount it to the ARMS #7. Screw head is too beefy, sticks out about 0.5mm and interferes with the flat top of the Picatinny rail. Works fine on my Sako A7's hollowed out base. The problem is it places the scope too far ahead and it is very awkward to push my head against the rubber piece to open up the aperture.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks Jack, I'll take you up on that.
By the way I ran into trouble with the included screws trying to mount it to the ARMS #7. Screw head is too beefy, sticks out about 0.5mm and interferes with the flat top of the Picatinny rail. Works fine on my Sako A7's hollowed out base. The problem is it places the scope too far ahead and it is very awkward to push my head against the rubber piece to open up the aperture.

you might contact arms or valdada for less beefy stanag  screws.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
so for those of us that are interested in taking a first step into NV.....is this a good deal or no?  I like the idea of shooting critters at night at the ranch, but not enough to drop a couple K on something.

looks like maybe this scope is a 4.5x, but can it be put in front of another scope on a long rail and used only as NV and the "daytime scope" be used for its crosshairs and magnification?

I'm curious about this as well.  Can anyone who owns one and other NV provide some insight into whether or not this is a good first step into NV?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I have used a Zeiss gen2 monocular some years ago (don't recall model name-it had a rather large silver body?). To my surprise the Orion does not give up much to it. The image is a little grainyer, some sparkle in the center. I had it out with me on the beach, no light pollution, moonless/partially cloudy sky. I was able to clearly see objects like drift wood, lobster pot  out to 100 yards. Under full moon and/or snow covered fields a 200+ yard shot wouldn't be difficult. My only gripe with it is it's weight, all 4.8 pounds of it.
Answering your question: it is a good first step into NV.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#33]
It could have been either Zeiss Victory NV 5,6x62 T

or Zeiss 5,6x60 N
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, it looked like the second one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious about this as well.  Can anyone who owns one and other NV provide some insight into whether or not this is a good first step into NV?

these are among the best 1st gen cascade devices available so yeah I'd say so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top