Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2011 5:08:50 PM EDT
First experience with head-worn NV.

The skull crusher head mount isn't as bad as I thought it would be from all the comments. I can live with it for awhile but... dumb question: what do you do with the excess strapping? When I've got it adjusted it's like I've got dredlocks mon. Seems like it's important to be able to pull on them for adjustment, but maybe they should have some velcro to stow them somehow.

Other than that, Gen 3 is amazing. Had Gen 2+... no comparison. Would not advise anyone to spend money on Gen 2.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Most hate the crusher. I know 1 guy who uses it on a regular basis. He must have a high tolerance for pain. He will be along shortly to offer advice.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't mind the skullcrusher, but there's no movement of the NOD out of the way and you're using the standard j-arm. So, for me, my answer is ditch it and get a helmet, then you don't have to worry about the straps!

That being said, take some small rubber bands and fold them over on themselves and rubber band them flat. If you attach velcro to it, you may lose ability to adjust the straps altogether, depending on how thick the velcro is and how tight the adjustment slots are. If you went with a web keeper style this may not be an issue if you attach it at the end of the straps. Alternatively, you could use sticky-back velcro on the actual plastic, and fab up velcro keepers that wrap around the excess straps as opposed to actually being attached to the strap, then velcroing down to the plastic frame so they don't flop around.

Something like this:
Mystery Ranch Webkeeper
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You know my daughter has tiny black rubber bands for her pony tails... I bet those would be a perfect fit. The other thing I like about the skull crusher is that it stores and transports in a very compact form.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Please report back to us after you have run the rig for 6-8 hours continuous on multiple occasions.... if your head hasn't exploded by then.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:06:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Please report back to us after you have run the rig for 6-8 hours continuous on multiple occasions.... if your head hasn't exploded by then.

;) How about 3 to 4 hours.. It's not so bad over those timescales.

The thing is, if you're using it infrequently, it's not too bad and since you're busy, you don't notice the discomfort.

Using it all night every night would be a different situation, because the boredom would lead to noticing that it's not the most comfortable  thing to wear day and night.

I don't mind the skullcrusher, but I use a helmet now, though my son thinks it's pretty good still. Why? Because the Skullcrusher has very good adjustment and the helmet is fixed. If he could find a helmet that fit his melon, I'm sure it would be a different situation though.

David

p.s.

Oh, forgot to answer the question... Velcro works if it's a problem. Otherwise leave the straps hanging loose - they are easier to find in the dark that way and sometimes you may need to adjust them in the field.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I am also not a fan of the skull crusher, I had to use it for my first two years in the USMC, before helmet mounts were common. Ugh. But, for your problem you might look at these:

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-wrap/

Velcro cable/wire raps, should work well? I think I've seen them at lowes?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top