Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 11:49:22 PM EDT
My J arm is a little loose in the Rhino
Not that it would fall out, but side to side

Is it a normal thing or is mine out of spec (used parts)
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#1]
it's normal
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:40:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
it's normal

unfortunately, that's absolutely normal with the issued mount/arm.
it gets better once you drop the cash on a Wilcox setup, or some
higher-end Norotos mount.

however, you will never totally eliminate that wobble, that's why a lot of
people use some type of bungee retention lanyard, basically pulling the
NVD in towards the helmet. the higher the tension, the less wobble

an added benefit is that this will provide some protection against losing
your NVD, should it work itself out of the mount or should some component
break.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:43:40 AM EDT
[#3]
A bit of duct tape in the receiver fixes that :)

David
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

David

Another fix from the "Q" underground invention team ?  

Duct tape is known around the world to fix darn near everything ! Now, if you can pot a tube with it I will be really impressed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Does using a dovetail style mount help secure this better? I have an AKA2 mount with both the standard and dovetail sockets. I have a USGI J-Arm sitting around, but I'm looking more closely at the dual dovetail mount.

I've never really liked the USGI setup, and I figure if a dovetail is a more steady mount then why have a high quality helmet mount and swing arm, and skimp on the J-Arm.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

David

Another fix from the "Q" underground invention team ?  

Duct tape is known around the world to fix darn near everything ! Now, if you can pot a tube with it I will be really impressed.

LoL! You can see some duct tape holding the potting together in my Gen3 upgrade of a Baigish 5P scope. :)

But yeah, just a single piece wrapped around the top of the J-arm receiver on the helmet side and cut to fit along the top of the receiver. Any tape will work, but duct tape is pretty much perfect for it.

It just takes up the slack and holds everything in place so it doesn't vibrate or wobble. That picture is on my site too.

If you look, you can see where the tape is sticking out from between the J-arm and the skullcrusher. It's usually folded over there so it sits flat, but it doesn't really matter. Just leave a little tab like that so you can remove it easily if you need to. I've never had to replace that tape though I will confess it hasn't seen much use since I switched to a rhino mount.

David

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top