Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2011 6:59:28 AM EDT
Ok, so call me crazy.

I bought one of those cheap Bushy Gen 1 monoculars w/ the uber-cool headgear. I tried taking it on a couple of yote` hunts. Worked ok once we were in thick brush. Walking around I had to have the built in IR on. Going hog hunting in Texas in May.

Here's what I'm thinking. It will probably be several years before I get into the Gen 3 stuff (simply a $$$/need thing). And so an IR laser for $500 now makes even less sense with the Gen 1 stuff. I was looking at getting a TLR-02 with a the infared filter for the light. That way I could use it as a light/laser on my AR for normal stuff, and when it comes to "night ops" (haha, I crack myself up) and nighttime hog hunting, I can use the IR cover and still have a visible laser.

Forgive my newbie questions but would the visible laser work ok with the Gen 1? WIll it appear as a beam or just the dot? Does this sound like on ok budget/multi-purpose plan?

Thanks all
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok, so call me crazy.

I bought one of those cheap Bushy Gen 1 monoculars w/ the uber-cool headgear. I tried taking it on a couple of yote` hunts. Worked ok once we were in thick brush. Walking around I had to have the built in IR on. Going hog hunting in Texas in May.

Here's what I'm thinking. It will probably be several years before I get into the Gen 3 stuff (simply a $$$/need thing). And so an IR laser for $500 now makes even less sense with the Gen 1 stuff. I was looking at getting a TLR-02 with a the infared filter for the light. That way I could use it as a light/laser on my AR for normal stuff, and when it comes to "night ops" (haha, I crack myself up) and nighttime hog hunting, I can use the IR cover and still have a visible laser.

Forgive my newbie questions but would the visible laser work ok with the Gen 1? WIll it appear as a beam or just the dot? Does this sound like on ok budget/multi-purpose plan?

Thanks all

The visible laser will be a bit bright, even for gen1 most likely..

If i were stuck with Gen1, i would do what the guys in the UK do..They use a 40-80mw IR laser illuminator ($125-$350). With that massive amount of IR it gives them about 60-75m range. Its also pretty dangerous...

I don't know how well the IR filter setup will work, maybe someone has tried that..
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. Never thought of the laser being that bright, but I could see how if you hit a wall close up the splash could be near blinding.

Other than the 'make your own' are there any "affordable" (i.e. $300 or under) IR laser options out there? It will see light duty as a varmint/hog rig a few times a year.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#3]
One point worth noting is that TLR, IIRC, is a led light. You can't use a led light as an IR light source.

We have cheap Russian IR-lasers in Europe. If there are no import restrictions that might be a possibility. I bought a TSUL IR laser for about $150. It didn't keep zero until some creative loctite use, but it is ok for me as I use it merely as a training example to show how IR laser looks and functions. (They are not military issue items here)
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's some info on dimming visible lasers (accidental hijack)
Link

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I read that whole thing and was real excited until I realized I can't justify a TNVC piece w/ my Gen 1 mono.

Might just get a crappy laser and mess with the dimming techniques. Seems like it would be easier to do to a stand alone unit vs. the integrated piece in the TLR-2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top