Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2011 5:58:56 PM EDT
Given $3,000 seems to be the low end of Gen 3 NV monocular how much should one search for their product with a high degree of emphasis on a warranty over  2 years? It seems as most NV is only 1 or 2 years in warranty and then your out a spendy investment forbid something goes wrong.  Will Gen 2 or 3 tubes last typically much longer than the short warranty period providing reasonable care? I read 10,000 hour life on Gen 3 tubes but has this been really tested? Finally,  Are Pinnacle tubes considered durable or are there better options? thanks
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a set of PVS 7B's with a warranty exp of 6/93......they still worked before I upgraded the tube.  Just because something has a warranty doesnt mean it stops working the minute it expires.....look at cars for a perfect example.  Gen III Tubes usually last 10k+ hours.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, if an extra few hundred is gonna cover my butt for a few extra years, i would do it if its from the manufacturer.  Image tubes aren't cheap, even used.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#3]
rogers, exactly what I was thinking.    I just wish the warranties were extended to 5 or 10 years to protect investment. What does a replacement tube, say Pinnacle tube go for if the original were to go out on ya after warranty? $2,000 or more?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#4]
New Pinnacle (thin film ag tube) is about $1200 to $2000 depending on quality. The very best tubes can even go higher. Tubes are very tough and usually if you are going to have a problem it seems to happen very early in its life. I have tubes 30 years old that work great. The ITT Night Enforcer is about $3600 and comes with a data card and 5 year warranty.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
New Pinnacle (thin film ag tube) is about $1200 to $2000 depending on quality. The very best tubes can even go higher. Tubes are very tough and usually if you are going to have a problem it seems to happen very early in its life. I have tubes 30 years old that work great. The ITT Night Enforcer is about $3600 and comes with a data card and 5 year warranty.

This.  I got a quote for 1400 for a AEO built (potting) L3 gated thin film tube recently. I think the modules are new, but are potted by AEO, not Litton.  Someone correct me if im mistaken, im wrong a lot..

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I got a quote for 1400 for a AEO built (potting) L3 gated thin film tube recently. I think the modules are new, but are potted by AEO, not Litton.  Someone correct me if im mistaken, im wrong a lot..

About right for the price. AEO uses Litton components and pots them themselves. I have one and it is a decent tube. Just make sure you get one with a data card so you know what you are getting. They can be all over the place performance wise. Mine has no data card but I can estimate it to some degree against tubes I know the specs on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I called ITT when I purchased my NV monocular to ask very specific questions. There are some salesmen out there who will tell you anything to have you drop $3k plus on equipment that you may actually use a 1/10th of its life. ITT thin film Pinnacle will outlast the average joe and his kids and his grandkids. They are very durable and don't need any special care. Take the batteries out, keep the lens clean and have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top