Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2010 11:42:31 AM EDT
Hey guys. I was interested in dipping my feet in the night vision arena though I don't really have to many practical uses for them at the current moment. The only "need" I have is walking through the woods at night/early morning and the potential bad guy breaking in at night and/or power loss.

I don't have the free cash for the PVS14 or even earlier model PVS7's, as I have a 7 month old son at home. Nor do I really "need" that level of performance.

I was wondering your toughts on the YUKON NVMT GOGGLE 1X24 NIGHT VISION MONOCULAR. I understand that its probably a Gen I or at Best Gen II(though for the price I highly doubt it).

Would this unit be sufficient for my needs as outlined above? Is it mountable to a helmet for hands free use(I have a few PASGT helmets laying around)? Is there something of better quality for around the same price point?

Any and/or all thoughts welcome.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
No one used one/tried one, loves them/hates them? Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It is Gen 1 and to be 100% honest you are better off with a quality flashlight for your intended purpose. Gen 1 just does not have the gain to be very useful IMHO. Gen 2 at the min is what you need.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Dino

Thanks for the response. What types of Gen II do your recommend?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a lot of good units in gen 2. Much of the gear I have experience in is older but works well. Two types of Gen 2 to consider. US made gen 2 tubes and the more advanced European gen 2.

Lots of posts in this forum about the difference if you search around. For your needs it sounds like you want a budget model that can be head mounted. The cheapest new unit with a warranty I can recommend would be the D-300. They run about $1500 give or take. Used gear is always a option but you have the risks of anything you buy used.

http://tnvc.com/items/night_vision_monoculars/d300_g2st.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one, for gen1 it's not bad.  It says bushnell on it but it's just a Yukon NVMT 1x24 marketed by Bushnell.  I did a comparison w/ this gen1, a pvs-2, and my gen3 MUM.  If you'd like the pic's for comparison send me your email address.

ETA:  For a badguy in the house gen1 would be more a hindrance than anything in all seriousness, what you would want there would be a blinding surefire (mine wears an X300).

ETA the sequel:  Pics of the gen 1

IIRC this night was good and dark w/ no moon but lots of stars
W/o illuminator

W/ a variable beam torch illuminator
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses guys. It has helped alot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top