Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 4:50:46 AM EDT
Just joined the PVS club and the skull crusher the unit came with feels like putting my head on a vise.

Was thinking of going the helmet route but having blown all my savings on the PVS I'm broke and can't afford a $600 MICH or GI kevlar helmet.

What is recommended *budget* alternative for a rhino mount setup? Can I just take a quality mountain climber helmet and screw in a used $30 rhino mount from ebay? Or are there ABS helmets out there already made for NVG?

Yes, I know "you get what u pay for", but I'm not going to war here..

thanks,
jason
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I am  in the same boat. I will be getting the helmet from TNVS and using a Rhino mount for now.

helmet A Alpha
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:36:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The PT helmets are very good and come pre-drilled for the most common mounts. A skate or bike helmet came be adapted also but will require some trial and error to get it right. I use a PT helmet and it works very well. Comfortable and lightweight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get a MICH on Ebay for around a hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I just use a skateboard helmet with the mount strapped to it. Cost me 30bucks plus whatever I paid for the mount.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a few helmets at one time. I think the most important issue is to find one that will fit your melon good. That took me some trial and error with sizing and all that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#6]

I don't think it's "war quality" that's the problem... It's the issue of the mount breaking and dropping your expensive toy on the ground.

But yes, you can use a cheap helmet if you're good at modifying stuff, though be very careful if you go cheap on the mounts. There's a reason most people go for quality there.

<edited... for some reason I didn't see all the posts and some of what I said was superflous >

As for me? I actually don't mind the skullcrusher, but a bike helmet is a LOT more comfortable and protects somewhat against walking into low branches and stuff :)

David.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't think it's "war quality" that's the problem... It's the issue of the mount breaking and dropping your expensive toy on the ground.

But yes, you can use a cheap helmet if you're good at modifying stuff, though be very careful if you go cheap on the mounts. There's a reason most people go for quality there.

<edited... for some reason I didn't see all the posts and some of what I said was superflous >

As for me? I actually don't mind the skullcrusher, but a bike helmet is a LOT more comfortable and protects somewhat against walking into low branches and stuff :)

David.

Thats why you ALWAYS use a secondary retention device. I.e. a shoelace or whatver going to the NV thats tied to you somewhere, or around your neck etc.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#8]
tag for interest
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#9]
After dicking around with all kinds of half-assed mounts, I finally settled on the A-Alpha helmet.  Very light, fits giant melons great without "tight" spots, doesn't slip around and looks cool.  I bought a new Rhino Mount on the EE for $50, a J-Arm, also on the EE for (I think) $25, and a new Norotos-type shroud from some Airsoft site for $12.  It actually works good, is made out of aluminum and fits the Rhino and helmet great.  I initially tried bolting the Rhino plate to the helmet (one bolt) and it worked, but didn't look right.

I tried every friggin' thing I could to rig up a mount, but it was FUGLY, worked like shit and wasted a lot of time and money.  In the end I just bought the stuff listed above.  Works great and looks professional for about $170 bones total.

You could probably do it even cheaper if you shop around.  There's always mounts and parts on the EE.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with the A Alpha half cut, so I could use some good electronic muffs. I like to be able to hear as well as see in the dark. (I am halfway deaf, both ears, left being the worst)  I bought some top quality MSA Sordin  supreme pro-x neckband muffs and they work well if you pull out the rear cushion of the helmet and move the rail on the left side. It takes practice to get used to all this but it is well worth it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
After dicking around with all kinds of half-assed mounts, I finally settled on the A-Alpha helmet.  Very light, fits giant melons great without "tight" spots, doesn't slip around and looks cool.  I bought a new Rhino Mount on the EE for $50, a J-Arm, also on the EE for (I think) $25, and a new Norotos-type shroud from some Airsoft site for $12.  It actually works good, is made out of aluminum and fits the Rhino and helmet great.  I initially tried bolting the Rhino plate to the helmet (one bolt) and it worked, but didn't look right.

I tried every friggin' thing I could to rig up a mount, but it was FUGLY, worked like shit and wasted a lot of time and money.  In the end I just bought the stuff listed above.  Works great and looks professional for about $170 bones total.

You could probably do it even cheaper if you shop around.  There's always mounts and parts on the EE.

thanks, great info

my pvs kit came with a j-arm for the skull crusher, can I reuse that? And what is the shroud exactly?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks, great info

my pvs kit came with a j-arm for the skull crusher, can I reuse that? And what is the shroud exactly?

Yup, your J-Arm will work fine.  The shroud is the triangular-looking thing mounted on the front, which allows you to remove the Rhino mount from the the helmet.  You just push a little lever-thingie on the Rhino in, and it snaps on and off the helmet.  It's mounted to the helmet with three screws (hence the triangular shape).  Most Rhinos come with a plain metal "mount" that you can either use with straps, or directly bolt onto the helmet (one bolt/screw).  It works, but isn't as sturdy as the shroud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top