BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2010 2:18:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clasky]
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't we have guide here on how to roll your own once upon a time?
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Ya, free posted a link in the FAQ page.  I believe its on top of page 21.

Clasky great write up!  Thanks for taking the time for such a thorough write up!
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#3]
Originally Posted By km2006dmax:

Ya, free posted a link in the FAQ page.  I believe its on top of page 21.

Clasky great write up!  Thanks for taking the time for such a thorough write up!

Thanks, It was more for the people who hadn't done it before.

Anyhow I generally agree if you are a new to NV its best to purchase something from a decent dealer, be it a 1000 dollar unit or 10k.

ETA That being said if you wanna roll the dice you can build your own for way less (and no my name isn't jim-bob)
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Said it once and will say it again. This is top notch work ! Never seen a better review. I mean that 100%. No smoke blowing involved.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:34:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#7]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Clasky:
Building your own night vision device, while not rocket science, isn't generally a good idea if you want professional results.  Harlikwin, you have to remember that at TNVC, we cater to the professionals; guys and gals who put their lives on the line and need their equipment to work first time, every time.  We are staffed by experienced professionals with both warfighting and LE backgrounds and have extensive experience in the social applications and technical nature of night vision equipment.  The equipment we sell is stuff we would bet our own lives on and the information we provide is directed at those whose lives will depend on their gear.  If hobbyists, hunters, and others wish to learn from us and purchase the same gear used by the professionals, then I applaud them for making good decisions on kit.  

That said, I would never trust any night vision device built by someone in their basement while watching a youtube how-to video to perform anywhere close to the same as a factory or professionally-built unit.  It's like all those guys building franken-guns and wondering why it chokes on every other mag.  Sure, you might build yourself a plinker for the range, but it is just plain stupid for someone to build a "parts-gun" and use it for duty or any serious work.  For example, I have yet to see any amateur-built franken-gun survive a 3-day carbine course or department qualification (and those situations are not anywhere close to the realm of actual combat stress put on equipment).  But I digress.

The bottom line is unless you know what you are doing, a home-built PVS-14 is not a good idea.  In fact, it is a waste of money.  While the parts add up to less than a factory unit, it is still expensive.  And if you screw up, well: I hope you are made of money.  Building night vision can be a fun hobby if you can afford it.  but, it is irresponsible at best to tell folks on the internet that a garage-assembled device will be just as good as the factory model.  I've seen too many cops who tried to save money by building a patrol rifle or buying some warehouse brand gear get burned.  If you want to start a thread on how to build a PVS-14 from parts: more power to ya.  Hell, we sell the parts if folks want to try it.  But, make sure folks know that the instruction is for hobbyists only.  While your input is appreciated, please do not hijack this thread.

Never wanted to hijack your thread. And I respect the fact you guys seem to be decent dealers by all accounts. And hey glad you sell good units to police or whoever. Frankly I don't think the majority of arfcommers are depending on their lives buying this gear, though it does make for a great slogan and proven marketing strategy(In a world of compromise some don't right?)

But since you brought it up, as you said it isn't rocket science (and the guys doing the work on them in .mil generally don't have PhD's either,just the TM). That being said  all the NV gear I've worked on works just fine, in fact just as well as my "factory" assembled models... The more modern stuff like the PVS-14 is even easier to work on than the old stuff I cut my teeth on years ago, but hey maybe I'm special.

And frankly I'm not trying to sell anyone anything or even post DIY instructions, though I did recall someone else posting them, mainly for informational purposes since I thought it could add to the thread. Nor am I suggesting people in harms way don't buy the best gear they can, but again the vast majority of folk here aren't. And I think that those who do are smart enough to know the difference, perhaps I'm wrong in that regard.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
That was a great read.  I purchased my Night enforcer from TNVC, in March of 09.  All I have to say is tube is flawless, The only thing that I could see was the dots between the honeycomb of the intensifier tube and that was looking at a white wall in the dark, you had to really look for them.  Outside it is crystal clear.  For almost a year I used it every night when I took my dog out before bed, summer, snow, rain, etc.  It was amazing at how close I could walk up to deer, and how well I could see things.  Having Da Torch, really helped on moon less nights.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Great writeup Chip, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 8:22:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#12]
The only reasons I built my own NVD was:

1. price
2. I was given detailed instructions and shown how to build one.

The two I built were sent to a experienced builder for inspection and purging/filling after I put them together.

You do take a risk when building one, my first build felt like my 1st jump, but after the first one was built , I sold it later to get a better tube and the second build was much easier.

If you do build make sure you get tube last, as you need a 3 day inspection and if the tube shows up dead you will have a chance to return it.

Believe me If I had the cash I would have bought a new one with a warretee etc...but I didn't and failure was not a option.

Also .MIL guys make sure you have receipts for all you parts to stay out of trouble.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 10:29:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino1130] [#13]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:

1. price

The two I built were sent to a experienced builder for inspection and purging/filling after I put them together.

You do take a risk when building one, my first build felt like my 1st jump, but after the first one was built , I sold it later to get a better tube and the second build was much easier.

If you do build make sure you get tube last, as you need a 3 day inspection and if the tube shows up dead you will have a chance to return it.

Believe me If I had the cash I would have bought a new one with a warretee etc...but I didn't and failure was not a option.

Also .MIL guys make sure you have receipts for all you parts to stay out of trouble.

I hope this is not taken the wrong way. This is a thread by Clasky on a PVS-14 buyers guide. I like to build my own also but talking about this here is a  hijack of his thread. A "build your own 14 " thread should be started IMHO... Just sayin...
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 10:44:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC] [#14]
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dino1130:

1. price

I hope this is not taken the wrong way. This is a thread by Clasky on a PVS-14 buyers guide. I like to build my own also but talking about this here is a  hijack of his thread. A "build your own 14 " thread should be started IMHO... Just sayin...

Yeah my bad apparently
. I only intended to reference the FAQ for people that were interested in more details.
Apparently though its been taken as hijack so lets wither start a new thread or drop it. I've already been contacted by Vic about It.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:
Originally Posted By Dino1130:

1. price

Yeah my bad apparently
. I only intended to reference the FAQ for people that were interested in more details.
Apparently though its been taken as hijack so lets wither start a new thread or drop it. I've already been contacted by Vic about It.

This has to be the most preempted hi-jacks I’ve seen in awhile….Nice work Harlikwin. Your so-called “my-bad” innocence is almost humorous.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:49:46 AM EDT
[#17]
This is a great thread A+.  You can be sure I'll read any others you guys put out like this one.  My dad might have cheapened out of buying NV, so now I'll get to listen to his complaining again but when I get out of school in 2 years you can bet I'll spend some money with you.  Thanks again TNVC.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey my name Came up so I answered, not meant as a hijack.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Good info, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:59:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RidgeDog] [#21]
Nice write-up, Chip. I tagged it for a complete read a few days ago and then my computer S**t the bed so I just now had a chance to come back to it. I appreciate your forthrightness. Your ability to anticipate the reader's questions is pretty impressive . Oh ... and for the record, I see no reason to apologize for your mini-rants. I kinda appreciate a guy with passion!!

On a side note I'm sittin' here wondering why/how the hell does a thread like this turn into a 'He Said - She Said" bitch fest?!  Geez, it tastes of Troll!! Anyway I digress...

Good job Chip!!! Even with all the time I have spent picking yours and Vic's brains I learned more. Thanks!

RD

Edited to adjust for my fat fingers
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for this, it answered a lot of questions I had.  I still don't know if I want to put 3k down on a pvs-14 but if I do go for NV I want to buy once cry once.

You said that the 3rd gen tubes have a 10k hour lifespan.  About how much should a person expect to spend to get one rebuilt by a proffessional after the tube wore out?  Would the warrenty be extended after rebuild?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow...now that is a GREAT write up!!!!  I wish there was something like that when I first went to buy mine!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I used the write up to help me make my choice.

Thanks Victor for the really nice Milspec PVS-14, it has impressive performance and image quality and I'm very happy with it.  Seeing quite a distance under a full forest canopy under only clear starlight conditions and no artificial lighting for 30 miles is an amazing experience.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Great info TNVC_Clasky, a little disappointing (been checking ebay lately ) but thanks for taking the time. You've answered alot of my questions
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mark75101:
Great info TNVC_Clasky, a little disappointing (been checking ebay lately ) but thanks for taking the time. You've answered alot of my questions

You can still buy something from ebay.  But, just realize their are risks associated with this (the least of which is follow-up customer service).

Yep. Might just keep saving, its taking forever though!
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Thank you for that i learned a lot
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#30]

You can still buy something from ebay.  But, just realize their are risks associated with this (the least of which is follow-up customer service).

Yep. Might just keep saving, its taking forever though!

Keep saving and buy from TNVC.  I've considered the appeal of saving some money but when purchasing something
of this nature and price, I'm not gonna spend 75% of the cost and buy from a questionable source.  To me, that would
be foolish. When you've already comitted that much of the price, just save up a little longer and buy from someone that's
100% reliable.

ARKAR

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#31]

**Off on a Tangent 1**

ITT used to manufacture several lines of PVS-14's for different markets. The original PVS-14 used a dual battery configuration, but this was quickly changed to a single battery setup because of weight complaints from the field. ITT's commercially-available PVS-14 was called the "Night Quest." These used dual battery housings and had an "NQ" prefix to the PVS-14 designation on the label. The Night Quest PVS-14 had an "ABC" circuit (Automatic Brightness Control) that would sense the amount of light coming in and would automatically adjust the brightness (gain) of the image. ITT's Law Enforcement line was called the "Night Enforcer," and featured the same single battery setup as the military issue system. Night Enforcers have an "NE" prefix on the label. Night Enforcers have a manually adjustable gain control knob located on the front of the unit, next to the on/off knob. The Military system uses the same housing as the Night Enforcer. Outwardly, the only difference is the label, which will say AN/PVS-14 (AN stands for Army/Navy), has an NSN (National Stock Number).

Chip Lasky

Manager, Product Development/ Marketing

Tactical Night Vision Company - TNVC, Inc.

www.TNVC.com
I have a NQ PVS14

It has 2 batteries and has the manual knob on the front of it.

Would it hold up to putting on my AR?

Link Posted: 12/5/2010 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 1:27:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: louisianarebel] [#33]

Originally Posted By TNVC:

Originally Posted By louisianarebel:

**Off on a Tangent 1**

ITT used to manufacture several lines of PVS-14's for different markets. The original PVS-14 used a dual battery configuration, but this was quickly changed to a single battery setup because of weight complaints from the field. ITT's commercially-available PVS-14 was called the "Night Quest." These used dual battery housings and had an "NQ" prefix to the PVS-14 designation on the label. The Night Quest PVS-14 had an "ABC" circuit (Automatic Brightness Control) that would sense the amount of light coming in and would automatically adjust the brightness (gain) of the image. ITT's Law Enforcement line was called the "Night Enforcer," and featured the same single battery setup as the military issue system. Night Enforcers have an "NE" prefix on the label. Night Enforcers have a manually adjustable gain control knob located on the front of the unit, next to the on/off knob. The Military system uses the same housing as the Night Enforcer. Outwardly, the only difference is the label, which will say AN/PVS-14 (AN stands for Army/Navy), has an NSN (National Stock Number).

Chip Lasky

www.TNVC.com
I have a NQ PVS14

No issues to speak of.  

Vic

Yesss

Thank You sir.

Edit, got it on now.

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#35]

**Off on a Tangent 1**

Chip Lasky

www.TNVC.com
I have a NQ PVS14

No issues to speak of.  

Vic

Yesss

Thank You sir.

Edit, got it on now.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/IMGP0856.jpg

nice Tech9, gangsta.  

Found it at my dads. What a piece of crappp.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Thank you for this write up.  It really clears up a lot of the bullshit out there.  I plan to be investing in one of your NVD's in the near future and this helped me with questions that needed answering.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:08:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vapalux] [#39]
TNVC,

I just happened to stumble on the article and then avoided  what I would now consider and call a shady deal on GB.   Changed the course and placed an order with TNVC for the PVS-14 L3 Gen3 Autogated   Looking forward to the device.

I laughed a bit about the OCD, but then again - oops - maybe I have a dose of that (perfectionist)

Thanks,

Norm
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I subscribed to this when it was first written, but never got around to reading it. Saw it updated in my subscription list and finally got around to reading while hanging out @ the doctor post-allergy shots.

Great article, and I look forward to my first NV purchase from you guys. I do have one question: you said not to weapon-mount on a .308; do you have any thoughts or testing related to mounting on an AR based off the new .300 BLK round? I am building/buying an 8" 300BLK SBR and wonder if NV is appropriate/possible rifle-mounted, or helmet only.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:35:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#42]
Glad you like the article.  We always say to mount a 14 on a 5.56 and below.  Rated to 500g's and below.  

If over this G-Load, get an IR laser for your gun and keep the 14 on your head and let your laser do all your talking.  

Vic

That's as I figured - thanks!  The wife has green lighted a purchase once we've acquired our weekend property and got a cabin up.  I think I can convince her this would be needed while camping before the cabin is built.

Anyway, back on topic!
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for this writeup! Ive been reading on PVS14s for the past two weeks trying to gather all of the information I can on them and your post answered every question I had. I am going this week to buy a PVS14 from one of your dealers here in GA.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#44]
This was a great help. Thanks.

And yes, NV shopping/ researching is giving me the same headaches as I had when I was looking for a diamond for my (now wife's) engagement ring.

A lot of info to digest.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#45]
tag
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Very nice article about PVS-14’s. I’m glad to see Vic has come so far since I knew him years ago when he first started in the NV world. A couple things I would like to add to your information.
1.Older PVS-14 bodies – This is just for historic info and in case anyone come across some of these. Back when they were first released, the civilian PVS-14’s (NE-PVS-14 and NQ-PVS-14) were the only game in town besides the MILSPEC ones. The MILSPEC bodies had dual battery’s (which caps broke often) and two metal contacts near the mount hole which controlled the auto shut off when flipped up on the helmet mount. The commercial (Night Quest and Night Enforcer ITT brand night vision had plastic with no contacts) Eventually they went to also have the metal contacts and same features as the MILSPEC housing (which everyone uses now a days) The single battery is MUCH better and made more sense than the 2 battery version. The single battery caps was a screw cap with 0-ring and was much more water proof, plus the dual design broke often and had to be replaced. The last note on this was when Night Vision was issued out in the military, we always went out with new batteries each night. (Since you can get 50 hours on a single battery, having two was just wasting batteries since we replaced them every night anyway. ) That was our SOP in the Navy many years ago, not sure how it is now.

Thanks

Mike Markovcy
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Additional Info from last post:
2.MILSPEC vs None MILSPEC tubes. – The OMNI-BUS contracts for Night Vision all had a minimum specification.  OMNI-II (1990), III (1992), IV(1996), V(1998), VI(2002), VII(2005), VIII(2012). These specs were much higher than commercial tubes.  ITT was cranking out as many MILSPEC AN/PVS-14’s they could, but tubes that did not make the S/N or Photo cathode Sensitivity (PS) or had too many spots beyond what was allowed in the OMNIBUS contract, they would all end up in NQ, NE or sold on the commercial tube market. (Which we purchased and distributed)
Side note on OMNI-(4&5),(6&7). Common sense would be that the higher OMNI # the better the tube, not so.
OMNI_________ 4(IV)___ 5(V)___  6(VI)___7(VII)
Photocathode
Sensitivity_______1800__ 1500__ 2000 __ 1800
Signal/Noise_____   21____19.2____  25____  25

The reasons was, DOD was not getting enough tubes to fill demand, Specs were dropped to get more tubes in upper MILSPEC category. Last comment on this, beware of someone telling you, you are buying a MILSPEC unit.
An OMNI-II MILSPEC AN/PVS-14 had 45lp/mm resolution, 14.5(S/N) and 800(PS). Know what MILSPEC you are buying.
Also, the thousands of MILSPEC AN/PVS-14’s we sold ALL had System/tube data sheets. So the lesson is, make sure you get a Data sheet with the unit, otherwise that Gold coin you buy may turn green…

The down side to MILSPEC units are, they only come with a 1 YEAR Warranty. You can get units with tube specs that Exceed MILSPEC (OMNI-BUS) performance standards and have anywhere from 2 Years to 10 YEAR warranties.  
SPOTS/BLEMS – MILSPEC tubes are required to have no more than 3 small spots in Zone 2 & in zone 3. Commercial tubes may have more spots and bigger spots (reason they could not make MILSPEC). But now that things are slowing down for DOD, high end tubes are out in the civilian world. If you shop around you can get units with very high specs.

Mike Markovcy
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Just wanted to say thank you for this post.  I finally ordered my TN/PVS-14 last week.  Can't wait to get my grubby hands on it!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top