Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2010 11:22:15 PM EDT
Hi All,

This is a work in progress and far from complete, but I've been collecting differences between the Omni specs...

US OMNI CLASSIFICATIONS

It's incomplete and may be inaccurate, but this information isn't clearly available anywhere in a single table, so I'm collecting it.

I'll continue to expand it as I go and make corrections, so feel free to provide feedback.

Thanks
David

Update: 19 June 2010. JPG and PDF now available. Please archive :)

PDF file for Omni Specification Chart

Companion Table.

PDF file for companion table.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT,  Vic, this Omni spec info is very hard to find and David is the only one I know to ever attempt to get it all in one place. Any chance of getting a sticky for this so it is not lost. This is terrific info.
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Good Lord, sticky!
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Indeed, please do sticky this. Very important info for people not familiar with the OMNI system.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]

It's still a long way from completed and I have heaps of work to do, such as clarifying the different specs for each tube ( eg, mx10160 has different MTTF to mx11769 ) but I'm slowly getting to the right general specifications.

And I still need to clarify some aspects such as using tube ID rather than contract number when classifying tubes ( Older tubes are sometimes made under newer contracts ).

David
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's still a long way from completed and I have heaps of work to do, such as clarifying the different specs for each tube ( eg, mx10160 has different MTTF to mx11769 ) but I'm slowly getting to the right general specifications.

And I still need to clarify some aspects such as using tube ID rather than contract number when classifying tubes ( Older tubes are sometimes made under newer contracts ).

David

David, You could invest years in that and you will still find stuff to add ! Great job and it looks good. You have to come up for air once in a while from the research computer. To much time staring at that screen is bad for the eyes...
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
David, You could invest years in that and you will still find stuff to add ! Great job and it looks good. You have to come up for air once in a while from the research computer. To much time staring at that screen is bad for the eyes...

Hmmm. I spend all my time looking into a screen... If it's not a computer screen, it's a NVD screen... ( I wish! )...  :)

After a long stressful day at work, it's nice to sit back and research stuff... I mean, sometimes I get interesting stuff to do at at work but most of the time it's boring so it's nice to flex my mind a little at night and go hunting information.

David.

p.s. Updated original post. Now includes GIF and PDF of core data...

All suggestions welcome :)

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a quick note... But I think the following are actually Gen2 tubes. I'm not aware of any G3 tubes built under these names:

MX-9916/UV
MX-9644/UV

You might want to check into that.

Also it might be cool if you can throw in the G2 specs up there to compare them to the omni specs.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, they are both Gen2 tubes... Not all tubes built under Omni contracts were Gen3.

I was surprised to find Gen2 order numbers are STILL present as recently as Omni VII ( And it looks like they still order them too! ).

Though it seems that "No Russian Tubes" is still the case - so I imagine they are buying european tubes.

David.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#10]

OK, Now I've uploaded the companion chart for tube classification, so this should all be as easy as black and white.

If you have the missing data, please let me know- write about it here or something.

Vic - Can you please update the sticky?

ALSO, here's how you use it.

IF you have a contract from a later date, say, an Omni VI contract, but your tube matches the ID or the NSN for a mx10160A, then you have an OMNI IV tube produced under OMNI VI...

Although the tube is produced later, it's produced to the same specification as the original contract.

That's important to note - because both MX10160A/AVS-6 and MX10160C/AVS-6 were produced under Omni VI and VII procurements and both have different specs, with the MX10160A's being similar spec to the original Omni IV milspec.

David
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, they are both Gen2 tubes... Not all tubes built under Omni contracts were Gen3.

I was surprised to find Gen2 order numbers are STILL present as recently as Omni VII ( And it looks like they still order them too! ).

Though it seems that "No Russian Tubes" is still the case - so I imagine they are buying european tubes.

David.

Yeah, but your table implies that the gen2 tubes meet those minimum specs (which for the later omni specs is impossible), even the first omni contracts the Gen2 tubes did not have those nice photocathode numbers (more like 350 ish at best).
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Hmm, yeah. Omni usually refers to mx10160's... I'll have to add some notes there. And also I still need some indifividual tube specs. The US purchased mx9916s in 2007 but only to the 1999 spec.

This has been a HUGE work in progress.

David.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hmm, yeah. Omni usually refers to mx10160's... I'll have to add some notes there. And also I still need some indifividual tube specs. The US purchased mx9916s in 2007 but only to the 1999 spec.

This has been a HUGE work in progress.

David.

They bought tubes for pvs-5s in 2007?
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Yes, they bought PVS-5 tubes in Gen2 ( Don't forget they also made Gen3 PVS-5D's ) in 2007 under Omni VII. Don't ask me where they got them. Probably from DEP or Photonis. For some reason, they erase details of what they purchase from overseas companies like that from the award notices. I saw some Gen2 tubes ordered from Germany just last year, but have no idea what the tubes were, what their specifications were or what they were going to do with them... But those ones came from a German photonics manufacturer.

This is why Omni can be confusing. It was never intended as a tube classification ( with the exception of Gen3 Omni VII ) - It's also why the date of manufacture does not necessarily define the tube specifications, nor does the contract under which it was purchased.

You need to look at the tube ID to know for certain what it is.

David.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, they bought PVS-5 tubes in Gen2 ( Don't forget they also made Gen3 PVS-5D's ) in 2007 under Omni VII. Don't ask me where they got them. Probably from DEP or Photonis. For some reason, they erase details of what they purchase from overseas companies like that from the award notices. I saw some Gen2 tubes ordered from Germany just last year, but have no idea what the tubes were, what their specifications were or what they were going to do with them... But those ones came from a German photonics manufacturer.

This is why Omni can be confusing. It was never intended as a tube classification ( with the exception of Gen3 Omni VII ) - It's also why the date of manufacture does not necessarily define the tube specifications, nor does the contract under which it was purchased.

You need to look at the tube ID to know for certain what it is.

David.

Oh I know omni is a purchase contract which can be for various tubes/specs.
I'm just amazed they are buying G2 tubes for PVS-5's. Also I'm pretty sure the US military never used G3 PVS-5's those mods were made for the US LEO/civilian market and involve assorted machining to cram G3 tubes into the housing due to focal length differences between the tubes. That being said I like PVS-5's, but again I'm amazed anyone in the US military would still be using them.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm just amazed they are buying G2 tubes for PVS-5's. Also I'm pretty sure the US military never used G3 PVS-5's those mods were made for the US LEO/civilian market and involve assorted machining to cram G3 tubes into the housing due to focal length differences between the tubes. That being said I like PVS-5's, but again I'm amazed anyone in the US military would still be using them.

Even though they are being purchased by the US Military, I suspect that the end-users aren't Americans. They are most likely going as "aid" to other governments...

They also sometimes use them for training - it's important to have an idea how an opponent with Gen2 might perform against you if you have Gen3.

David.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even though they are being purchased by the US Military, I suspect that the end-users aren't Americans. They are most likely going as "aid" to other governments...

They also sometimes use them for training - it's important to have an idea how an opponent with Gen2 might perform against you if you have Gen3.

David.

Yeah I figured they were probably aid, maybe to the Iraqis or someone like that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, but your table implies that the gen2 tubes meet those minimum specs (which for the later omni specs is impossible), even the first omni contracts the Gen2 tubes did not have those nice photocathode numbers (more like 350 ish at best).
They don't have to. The OMNI means they were financed from the money issued under the specific contract. Everything else is negotiable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top