Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2010 2:51:00 PM EDT

Hi All,

Just another question on wearing glasses and NV.

Does anyone know of a solution to use "half glasses" for NV use - ie, I want to have a head-mounted monocular on my left eye and have a corrective lens on my right eye...

I find it easier to use the NV without glasses, but it would be nice to have my right eye in focus too.

Any suggestions? At the moment I'm thinking more along the lines of cutting a pair of glasses up, though preference would be to have the lens held in a mount so it was attached to the NV kit as a single piece - allowing me to use both eyes. Do such mounts exist?

David.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I wear glasses and haven;t had an issue with a monocular.... what sort of problems do you have?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I wear eye protection (ballistic M frames) and use PVS-14s all the time.  Heck, a lot of US service do it all the time.  I think maybe you should just practice some more.  I doesn't bother me that much unless I'm humping it and the M frames fog up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:23:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Hmmm - prescription goggles? Could be an idea. Though scratching them would be a concern. I have to see an optometrist in a week or so - I'll ask them about that.

Thanks for the suggestion - Any others?

David
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:01:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm still missing your issue.....  how are the eyeglasses interfering with the PVS-14?  FWIW, I have eyeglasses with polycarb lenses that I wear when shooting most of the time.  When I'm shooting with others, I have wrap-around goggles with perscription inserts.  Both work with the PVS-14.  If the problem is the eye cup, fold it back, or remove it.  I use a Wilcox amber filter and it's great.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
A couple of notes - First, It's not a PVS-14 - It's a PVS-5c although it looks like a 14 and has the same mount/shape.

If that doesn't make sense, look PVS-14 mod for PVS-5

It has a slightly smaller ocular lens so distance from the eye is important for maintaining full FOV, as is placement, since the optical axis is 3mm different.

Otherwise, it does work OK with glasses, even given that, however I scratched up my lens with the original version and didn't want to do it again. The rubber smudges the glass a little and it all feels pressed to my face.

The glasses I have to wear stick out quite some way on my nose as well, and the last thing I want is it all compressing if I run, jump or something else while wearing and smacking me in the face... OK, it doesn't hurt, but it's not comfortable.

On the other hand, using the NV without glasses is very comfortable ( i usually leave the eye cup off too ) but I lose some natural vision from my right eye.

The goggles sound like an interesting idea and would sit closer to my face though ( I assume ) but it would be nice to have something that just corrects my right eye and leaves my left free for NV. Even better if I could find a single solution that mounted on the same J-arm attachment perhaps.

So I'm looking to find out what other people do as a starting point.

David

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top