Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 4:43:48 AM EDT
Is there a thread with side by side pics of the Gen I - III optics? I looked around and couldn't find one.

Any help would be appreciated. I currently have a nice set of PVS 14 but lo and behold I get to give them back when I get home. Damn that Army.

I can certainly see the need for Night Vision and am wanting to know what the difference in quality is between the I - III before I decide to save up and fork over the cash for anything.

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The difference is ENORMOUS.  I haven't ever seen a good picture comparison of gen1 vs gen3 viewing the same scene on the same night.  I have gen3, a bushnell gen1, and a recently acquired pvs-2 (old US gen1) and will be doing a comparison like this over Thanksgiving since I'll be back home.  If you do find a good comparison online somewhere, please share, if not I'll have one posted in a couple months.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#2]
That would be cool. Hopefully someone that has access could do one real quick. I would be curious to see the difference.

I might use it to eliminate a coyote problem that my mom is having on her farm.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Coulda done a Gen 1 and Gen 2 but sold them. I see Iraq in your profile, gen 1 is no where close to the pvs14 you have probably been using. After recently looking through an anvis I think the pvs14 I was using was a little gimped. Anyway, unless the coyotes are within 25 yards go with at least a gen II.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a quick image I did a while ago - It's not great but shows the difference between Gen1 and Gen2 (AN/PVS-4 type tube). It's a pretty fair comparison for what it shows though.

Gen1 Vs Gen2

David
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 1:31:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here's a quick image I did a while ago - It's not great but shows the difference between Gen1 and Gen2 (AN/PVS-4 type tube). It's a pretty fair comparison for what it shows though.

Gen1 Vs Gen2

David

DAMN!!! That is a huge difference. I had no idea that it was so distinguishable. I'm kinda doubting that the dif. between I and III is as pronounced as that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 3:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Great pic review, I've had a set of low end Gen I's for years but after playing with a friends 7's I've been on the hunt for a deal on a set of Gen III's. I now have 7's and 14's and the difference is HUGE
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gen1 Vs Gen2

David

DAMN!!! That is a huge difference. I had no idea that it was so distinguishable. I'm kinda doubting that the dif. between I and III is as pronounced as that.

Actually, It's far more pronounced.

The problem is gain... If you go out on a bright moonlight night, Gen1, Gen2 and Gen3 all look similar... Then you get down to 1/4 moon and Gen1 looks terrible while Gen2 and Gen3 look about the same (maybe Gen2 looks a little grainier).

Then you lose the moon altogether and get a long way from the city and Gen2 starts to look a little dark. (Gen1 stopped working long before the moon went away completely)

Gen3 is more sensitive than Gen2 in the region of starlight and Sky-glow ( near infra-red ) so works better in these conditions.

So basically, although I'm simplifying the argument, Gen1 doesn't work on a dark night - and if you use an illuminator, then you're basically using an invisible torch - with associated range limitations.

Gen2 will work on most nights and Gen3 will work the best. Unless you're considering high-end DEP tubes, which have similar performance to Gen3. (eg, XD-4, XR5)

If you want cheap Gen1 that works on dark nights, then you want a Cascade (3-stage) Gen 1 tube... Think something as large as a pringles can... The AN/PVS-2 is a good example of that. But you're going to have trouble finding one, so have a look at those Dragonuv (SVD) scopes in the other thread... They are a russian 3-stage tube. Old, but reasonably recent. Or get a tube from the UK - they are still selling a few there.

The difference between Gen1-Cascade and Gen2/3 is not all that different. They are "Starlight" scopes by then.

If you PM me and send a normal email address, I'll send you a Gen1, Gen1 Illuminated, Gen2 comparison sheet in high resolution - taken over 5 nights (urban) with different lighting levels.

Regards
David

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top