Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 7:24:41 PM EDT
Is this monocular any good? I know it is gen 1 and that gen 1 isnt very good. But i am a poor college student. Opinions on the NV?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
bump?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I was trying to find one when I was looking at nv a couple of months back. They look to be few and far between now. Looks like you will have a better viewing lense than say a yukon which is like looking through a pin hole. However, everyone is going to tell you this, save up for at least gen 2. I found a gen 2 D300 2ms on ebay with a ELR and paid just over $1000. I used a PVS 14 in the past and I feel the D300 is almost as usefull. It is night and day compared to my old gen 1 yukon. With gen 1 you will not get very good performance at all without IR. I also read a review somewhere about the thing crapping out quick.

What are you planning on using it for because that says a lot.

I got mine for real world stuff and to play paintball or airsoft in the chance that I do that. I went to a big event this year at the FT Knox Zussman MOUT sight and took my D300. There were a lot of different types of NVGs out there. I did not see but one or two Gen I units. However, I did see a lot of PVS-7, some PVS-14, a Yukon digital, a NVG-7 (small but not impressed), and even a brand new ANVIS unit. When I asked the guy about his ANVIS he simply stated he barrowed it from a military unit. It was very very clear and a lot brighter than the 14 I used in the past. I did think the D300 got the job done almost as good and I did not feel I lost out on anything. I also got to mess with different PEQ, lasers, and other IR stuff with my D300 to see how well each one worked with the unit I have. Everyone pretty much agreed the ELR I had on my weapon looked a lot better at distance than the PEQ unit.

If it is any of the above real world tactical work, paintball, or airsoft. I suggest going to a training session or events without and see if you can look at what others use. See how you like it and go from there. Also if you are set on Gen 1 I think there are several online stores that sell a Gen 1 monocular and binocular made by the same people who make the D300. The price is going to be somewhere between $350 and $800 depending on which one you get. If that is the case just look into something like sightowl with used tubes. Yeh they are used but you will get much better use out of them than the Gen 1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top