Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2007 8:18:28 AM EDT
Looking to get a thermal scope for my M1a.  Don't really know the choices out there and what would be the best for the money.  I am looking at $20K tops probably unless something tremendously better is out there.  Elcan SpecterIR SP50D series is about the only one I have found.  How does it stand up against the others...I assume there are others out there.   Or would I be better off staying with a good night vision scope.  Currently running a ATN MK7700 and not completely satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a thread that, among other things, discussed a thermal scope that was received on order for a law enforcement agency or something that looked like my version of what I would sell a kidney (two depending on future medical developments ) to buy.  IIRC correctly it was around 30k.  It may have been a LEO/mil only device, don't remember.  I can't find the thread, maybe someone can...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#2]
You are going to be hard pressed to find a manufacturer that will sell you a thermal rifle scope. Most wont even transfer them to the dealer who sells them to the Agency. They will send them directly to the Agency.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have looked at several places and they don't state that it is LE/GOV only?  If this is true is there some other sort of thermal imager that I can put behind another type of sight?  Do you offer any thermal sights Victor?  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#6]
here are some and they sell to civilians:

www.opticshq.com/page/Optics/CTGY/Thermal_Imaging
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:58:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If this is true is there some other sort of thermal imager that I can put behind another type of sight?  

Forget putting a thermal scope behind a traditional scope. That's not going to work. Regular scopes are meant to transmit visible light (0.4-0.7 microns). Thermal scopes works in 3-5 or 8-12 microns), You can see that the lens on thermal scopes are black.....that's because it doesn't let visible light through. One of the reasons why you can't see through glass with FLIR.

There are materials out there that will transmit visible and thermal range, but it's very expensive and have too much transmission loss in visible. If the scope optics is made from that material, I guarantee that you will think it's a POS scope.

FLIR is not restricted....you can buy one with a new BMW or hand held stuff. They're around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top