BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 145
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScorpioMk:
Came up with this simple counterweight with a friend and he made it. Also used some stainless filler wire and bungee cord for retention, I always hated using the lanyard. Waiting on a caiman ballistic to show up then this will be a loaner helmet. 
View Quote

How do you like the 4G pads in the bump? Does the sizing work ok and is it still stable? I pulled the Oc dial brow out and put some old ach pads I had in mine but I can't seem to get it as stable and was thinking the 4Gs would be better.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:

The FAST SF is a great improvement over the Maritime. 

The FAST MT was rated for frag protection only. The FAST SF provides as much ballistic protection as the XP (High Cut) but in the same profile as the MT (obviously it does not have the same surface area) with reduced weight. 

The FAST SF also has a variety of other minor improvements to the FAST MT that combined give you some added value compared to the "straight" Maritime, including the Lux Liner as standard, skeletonized ARC rails, and the Modular Bungee Shroud. 

~Augee
View Quote

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the Maritime was replaced by the SF Super High Cut right? The legacy MT is a super high cut (before super high cut was a thing) or am I wrong in that? My reason for looking for an "MT cut", per say, is I want to run my ear pro under the lid and not attached to the lid via arc rail. I read a post saying the MT was more comfortable for that since the high cut pushed the ear pro lower down, while the "MT cut" allowed it to sit comfortable on the ear.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Omega9000:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the Maritime was replaced by the SF Super High Cut right? The legacy MT is a super high cut (before super high cut was a thing) or am I wrong in that? My reason for looking for an "MT cut", per say, is I want to run my ear pro under the lid and not attached to the lid via arc rail. I read a post saying the MT was more comfortable for that since the high cut pushed the ear pro lower down, while the "MT cut" allowed it to sit comfortable on the ear.
View Quote

Yes it was replaced by the SF model, the legacy MT has been made in both Super High Cut and High Cut(MT-C) but only high cut for special order I believe.

Ear pro does fit better under the super high cut(at least the cables are not as bunched up), but I guess it is a coverage compromise. I only have a high cut, but my ear pro seems to fit me well. Size and shape of each individuals head plays a factor in fit too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:52:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwramp] [#4]
Originally Posted By KPog:

Yes it was replaced by the SF model, the legacy MT has been made in both Super High Cut and High Cut(MT-C) but only high cut for special order I believe. 

Ear pro does fit better under the super high cut(at least the cables are not as bunched up), but I guess it is a coverage compromise. I only have a high cut, but my ear pro seems to fit me well. Size and shape of each individuals head plays a factor in fit too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KPog:
Originally Posted By Omega9000:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the Maritime was replaced by the SF Super High Cut right? The legacy MT is a super high cut (before super high cut was a thing) or am I wrong in that? My reason for looking for an "MT cut", per say, is I want to run my ear pro under the lid and not attached to the lid via arc rail. I read a post saying the MT was more comfortable for that since the high cut pushed the ear pro lower down, while the "MT cut" allowed it to sit comfortable on the ear.

Yes it was replaced by the SF model, the legacy MT has been made in both Super High Cut and High Cut(MT-C) but only high cut for special order I believe. 

Ear pro does fit better under the super high cut(at least the cables are not as bunched up), but I guess it is a coverage compromise. I only have a high cut, but my ear pro seems to fit me well. Size and shape of each individuals head plays a factor in fit too.

Some photos with various earpro and helmet cuts to illustrate that it depends on what you are using - https://www.jwramp.com/news/earpro-clearance-with-various-helmets

ETA the photo here too:
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I really appreciate the last couple posts. Clears up a lot of things for me before I pull the trigger on a lid. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:
As others have noted, the FAST SF is exactly the same Super High Cut coverage profile as the FAST MT, though as noted there are a number of differences--however (e.g.,) FAST Maritime/MT (Ops-Core has some problems with constantly changing the names of their products as soon as people get used to them ) helmet covers will also fit the FAST SF Super High Cut. 

Honestly, in my use, I've actually had more issues with helmet interference with helmet mounted comms versus OTH comms and pushing the earcups down. I even went so far as to cut up a FAST Bump (then called the Base Jump) to a Maritime cut because of it, however, I've never really had an issue with it since I've mostly ditched helmet mounted comms and have primarily gone to OTH setups, and my "primary" helmet is still an old Ops-Core FAST XP (High Cut), and I still use a FAST Carbon (also XP/High Cut) and FAST Bumps. The other thing that happened around that time is I was turned on to using taller mounted optics and risers, so that has contributed as well to not having as much of an issue with helmet cuts. 

That being said, obviously and as already noted--the Super High Cut gives more clearance for adjusting and placing your comms/ear pro. 

~Augee
View Quote

Augee,

In going more to OTH comms under a helmet do you find top band vs behind the head band earpro to be easier or more of a wash?  It would look like behind the head would be better but not sure.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:42:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#9]

still love my vintage surefire ir m1.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Heineken:

View Quote

What mount are you using for it?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By contax_shooter:

It's homemade using a sheet of kydex and the Ops Core flashlight mount.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49440027647_4b179db1f9_b.jpg
View Quote

Could you give us some info on the lenscovers?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:54:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: domestique1] [#12]
Originally Posted By Leopold1:

Could you give us some info on the lenscovers?
View Quote

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LTCH9KECN/2-position-aperture-for-pvs14-anvis
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#13]
In the market for a better helmet, just got the 14 and an atpial c over the last couple weeks and had this cheap bump helmet from a trade awhile ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:10:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: recce19d20] [#14]
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_kdtjvczmQScwWfhVCKttEFZZtdGUyc-

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nfOq28qu2TDhpwRJNVdhfx5UATOCa6bH

Team Wendy LTP, Wilcox G11,, TNVC Mohawk, HelStar 6 (HS-640-05), Unity mount, Howard Leight Impact Sports W/Noise Fighters, NVD PVS-14 Gen 3 HP+, LIF not shown/ currently running a Wilcox protective lens cover, 4D Tactical Zero G pads (needed upgrade)
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Alacran:

View All Quotes

vltor flashlight mount in correct size ..not sure if they even make them anymore.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Thanks.  Just put one on order.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By dj1975232:

Thanks.  Just put one on order.
View Quote

@dj1975233

Mine came faster then qouted (2-3 weeks).

There is some assembly required. This article has pictures on what to do.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/12/27/friday-night-lights-focus-on-your-nvgs-refocus-accessories-for-night-vision/
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:17:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dj1975232] [#18]
Much appreciated.  That's been my experience with that site in the past.  Is there a preferred adhesive for this?  I figured CA woould probably work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:50:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#19]
Latest evolution of my noob rig.

Added Nitecore NU05-MI IR/green strobe, X300V, Wilcox dovetail arm, T-Reign lanyard (modified) and some misc hardware.

Attachment Attached File

$25 Nitecore IR beacon. (Is the Manta Strobe $190 better?)
Attachment Attached File

$8 Amazon (Made in USA) lanyard.

Attachment Attached File

Attached a 3M “hook” oval pad for extra retention.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Links to items in pics.

Retractable $8 tether.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

10mm Titanium key rings
MissingImage

Mini carabiners
MissingImage

$25 Nitecore IR strobe

https://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECORE-NU05-MI-p/fl-nite-nu05-mi.htm

Or...

MissingImage

$212 Surefire X300V
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By PFran42:
Latest evolution of my noob rig.

Added Nitecore NU05-MI IR/green strobe, X300V, Wilcox dovetail arm, T-Reign lanyard (modified) and some misc hardware.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/CB5C0FDA-3603-434B-9CC3-4722C6C369D9_jpe-1432893.JPG

$25 Nitecore IR beacon. (Is the Manta Strobe $190 better?)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/466226CE-A3F8-4B1A-9181-31F9ECD9834D_jpe-1432896.JPG

$8 Amazon (Made in USA) lanyard.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/ED58C3C1-16AD-44A4-9879-D52291845FAB_jpe-1432897.JPG

Attached a 3M “hook” oval pad for extra retention.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/9FB8C923-6E4D-4E89-A18B-EF77642748C7_jpe-1432898.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/4756358F-2445-469D-85AC-F479AD925687_jpe-1432899.JPG

Links to items in pics.

Retractable $8 tether.

www.amazon.com/dp/B007IJZPQA

10mm Titanium key rings
www.amazon.com/dp/B01EWBY9UY

Mini carabiners
www.amazon.com/dp/B07JR588FC

$25 Nitecore IR strobe
www.amazon.com/dp/B07WVF3XTP

$212 Surefire X300V
View Quote

Damn, our helmet is setup almost the exact same. Only thing different on mine is I’m using a surefire m300 instead of the x300.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#21]
That little strobe is BRIGHT
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#22]
damm the ir strobe is unavailable.. anyone know when to get one?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 5:25:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#23]
Originally Posted By ARADDICT556:
damm the ir strobe is unavailable.. anyone know when to get one?
View Quote

https://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECORE-NU05-MI-p/fl-nite-nu05-mi.htm

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#24]

I just picked up one of these too. Small, bright, and rechargeable. Also shipped fast-- had it in about 3 days. I thought the instructions were a little confusing, but I got the functions sorted out after a few minutes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

Another MO here - STL
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

Another MO here - STL

Originally Posted By 55_S2K_Shawn:

What part of Missouri are you in?  I have my own PVS-14 and could meet up for some nighttime goon stuff.

Just hosted a night shoot at Gadsden shooting center with some friends including @55_S2K_Shawn last weekend. Was a good time. Should I invite you to the next one?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:59:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By KPog:

I am a ham,

Baofengs are pretty low on the list these days for HT's(even though I have a few), more interested in getting my Yaesu FT3 working with it. The only thing keeping me from going with the amp is the PTT and ability to connect to amature radios since I will never be in the encrypted radio crew. I will pull the trigger if anyone else can confirm, although this is most likely a custom SRS job more than likely.
View Quote

Not an expert in Yaesus. what connector does it use? I have a nexus amped PTT here that uses the two small pins, if itll work for you send me a pm. Can rehome it to someone who will use it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By KPog:

I am a ham,

Baofengs are pretty low on the list these days for HT's(even though I have a few), more interested in getting my Yaesu FT3 working with it. The only thing keeping me from going with the amp is the PTT and ability to connect to amature radios since I will never be in the encrypted radio crew. I will pull the trigger if anyone else can confirm, although this is most likely a custom SRS job more than likely.
View Quote
KPog,

I haven't bought one yet, but this is what I plan on going with for my Yaesu FT3D. PTT from SRS Tac I believe it is the YAE-5 connector based off of this page.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#28]

vltor flashlight mount in correct size ..not sure if they even make them anymore.
View All Quotes

Got one off of the VLTOR website.  Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

nice, anytime!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By vanrichten:
KPog,

I haven't bought one yet, but this is what I plan on going with for my Yaesu FT3D. PTT from SRS Tac I believe it is the YAE-5 connector based off of this page.
View Quote

Disco32 is well known for doing PTT's correctly. This option is a bit less expensive as well.

https://disco32.com/collections/push-to-talks

Yaesu-specific:

https://disco32.com/collections/push-to-talks/products/u94-push-to-talk-for-yaesu
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Disco32 is well known for doing PTT's correctly. This option is a bit less expensive as well.

Yaesu-specific:

https://disco32.com/collections/push-to-talks/products/u94-push-to-talk-for-yaesu
View Quote
Nice!! I hadn't done anything with him. Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:52:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klaustrophobia] [#32]
I've been putting off helmet upgrades for too long.  I need a strap, am going to get 4d pads although the ones I have aren't terrible, if a little loose.  Also thinking about those low-profile, long bar type counterweights so I don't have to swap the EOG bag back and forth from my night cap

I was pretty sure I wanted a cam fit, but recently I've seen several people post they are uncomfortable and to get an h-nape instead.  What about the Team Wendy dial fit?  Looks like sort of a hybrid.  (I know, but if it's really a high-value upgrade, I can overlook politics).  Current strap is the stock x-nape that came with it, label says United Shield International model Delta (ACH style).  If I go h-nape, is there a significant difference between an expensive crye/ops core strap and a USGI?  

Also thinking about mounting earpro, but haven't looked into it really at all.  Is there a "gold standard" for helmet-mounted ear pro?  Might as well be thinking about comms integration also while I'm at it I suppose.  And lastly, anyone have any good tricks for tightening up a loose shroud?  Does just some tape work long-term?  I'd rather not spend another $100 almost on that if I can help it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:08:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#33]
Originally Posted By Klaustrophobia:
I've been putting off helmet upgrades for too long.  I need a strap, am going to get 4d pads although the ones I have aren't terrible, if a little loose.  Also thinking about those low-profile, long bar type counterweights so I don't have to swap the EOG bag back and forth from my night cap

I was pretty sure I wanted a cam fit, but recently I've seen several people post they are uncomfortable and to get an h-nape instead.  What about the Team Wendy dial fit?  Looks like sort of a hybrid.  (I know, but if it's really a high-value upgrade, I can overlook politics).  Current strap is the stock x-nape that came with it, label says United Shield International model Delta (ACH style).  If I go h-nape, is there a significant difference between an expensive crye/ops core strap and a USGI?  

Also thinking about mounting earpro, but haven't looked into it really at all.  Is there a "gold standard" for helmet-mounted ear pro?  Might as well be thinking about comms integration also while I'm at it I suppose.  And lastly, anyone have any good tricks for tightening up a loose shroud?  Does just some tape work long-term?  I'd rather not spend another $100 almost on that if I can help it.
View Quote

Just a data point...

You can get brand new Gentex/Ops-Core H-nape harnesses on eBay for under $25 shipped. Many on this forum have taken this route. Try it, you may not see the need for a $100+ harness after that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264265084538

They are better than USGI as they vector outwards from the chin towards the helmet attachment points providing a more stable fit.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Also, here is where a lot of us got our 4D Tactical pads for $65 shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283868037707
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Comparing/contrasting mounts...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Also, here is where a lot of us got our 4D Tactical pads for $65 shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283868037707
View Quote

Does anyone know if these will work in a TW bump in conjunction with the tw boa system?

Meaning can I just take the oem tw pads out and swap in the 4d’s and run the shit while leaving the retention alone?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:

Does anyone know if these will work in a TW bump in conjunction with the tw boa system?

Meaning can I just take the oem tw pads out and swap in the 4d’s and run the shit while leaving the retention alone?
View Quote

Yes, it'll work. A few extra pads would be a little nicer besides what's in the pic but you can keep the TW temple pads and use the 4D ones to line the top.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By will-1:

Yes, it'll work. A few extra pads would be a little nicer besides what's in the pic but you can keep the TW temple pads and use the 4D ones to line the top.
View All Quotes

Is there another set of pads you would recommend over the 4d’s on eBay for what I want to do?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Is there another set of pads you would recommend over the 4d’s on eBay for what I want to do?
View Quote

I don't know if the ebay ones are different material/quality but both my helmets have the Zero G 4D pads I bought from TNVC and they are awesome. They can get hot but way more comfortable. I wear a doo-rag kind of thing or a multiwrap which helps some with the sweat.

One thing to keep in mind is your helmet size. If your helmet is tight now than it will probably be too tight with the 4Ds.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#40]

I don't know if the ebay ones are different material/quality but both my helmets have the Zero G 4D pads I bought from TNVC and they are awesome. They can get hot but way more comfortable. I wear a doo-rag kind of thing or a multiwrap which helps some with the sweat.

One thing to keep in mind is your helmet size. If your helmet is tight now than it will probably be too tight with the 4Ds.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the info. As always you are a big help!
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Thanks for the info. As always you are a big help!
View Quote

You'll love them. Everyone's different so I'm sure some people don't like them but I'd guarantee the majority will always go with the 4D pads once they use them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By vanrichten:
KPog,

View Quote

Mine came in last week actually, for some reason I thought the AMP's were on amphenol only, so we are good now. Works great with a cattail antenna, although I wish the bnc connector was a little more flush like the "fengs".

I need to go drop my lid off in the mail to have a custom helmet cover made, and then I will probably end up with the AMP's.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Yaesu-specific:

View Quote

I wanted the 90 degree connector for putting in the plate carrier. Disco is gtg though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: actuallyambrose] [#44]

View All Quotes

yes, they work.

ETA here is a pic of my wife's helmet as well, she's only had it for about 2 weeks but she loves it better than the factory pads.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BrWn001COW:

yes, they work.

ETA here is a pic of my wife's helmet, she's only had it for about 2 weeks but she loves it better than the factory pads.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/258837/IMG_2166_jpg-1436346.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/258837/IMG_2634_jpg-1436353.JPG
View Quote

@BrWn001COW

You have a link to that retractable ear pro?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:33:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: actuallyambrose] [#46]

@BrWn001COW

You have a link to that retractable ear pro?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/WPC-Q-000005_4_28_55_PM_png-1436354.JPG
View Quote

@PFran42

I do!

Milspec Monkey $9
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:51:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -KentuckyWindage-] [#47]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468022/11F77B37-482E-49C7-A8AE-EBF986A9ED51-1371180.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468022/182DC0F2-713E-4DA9-8723-C3FC99105F12-1371182.jpg

“Are you about to go play with your toys again?”

“Honey, it’s work!”

Doing some testing with the Galvion Caiman Hybrid bump.

~Augee
View Quote

@tnvc_Augee what’s your thoughts on the Galvion Caiman bump?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:50:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#48]
Just finished my dedicated budget build.

MTEK PTS FLUX
SOTAC SM-2 bino bridge
SOTAC L4G24
(2) SiOnyx Auroras
(2) Wilcox M24 shoes

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Where did you buy your  SOTAC SM-2 bino bridge? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By spector:

Where did you buy your  SOTAC SM-2 bino bridge? Thanks.
View Quote

@spector

eBay seller: specwarfare2017

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133232271639
Page / 145
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top