Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 2:31:59 PM EDT
Does anyone keep up with foreign night vision?  Do most modern militaries(british, french, german, isreali, etc) just use US NVDs or do they use their own brands?  I'd guess that Russian and Chinese NVDs would be crappier but much cheaper.  Anyone know?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe Victor mentioned something about some European tubes, possibly Dutch.  If I were a betting man I would say that maybe the English and Israelis have access to US made NVD.  But I may be wrong.  Russain and Chinese would be crap, most of that Gen 1 stuff on the market when I was looking at it a few years ago was Ukranian.  IIRC the "gen1" ruskie stuff would have been a "gen0" on the American scale.  The 2 samples I saw had specs of stuff on the tube, and required lots of ambient light or the IR illuminator.  That was probably a good thing since the IR illuminator was constantly on.

I highly recommend saving up and buying the US made stuff, either a MUM (mini-14) or PVS-14 from Victor.  The PVS-14 with the hand select tube would be the way  to go.  I bought a hand select MUM from Victor and  I was and still am thoroughly impressed with its performance.

And by the time you got the Euro stuff here if you could , would it still be a bargain?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I believe Victor mentioned something about some European tubes, possibly Dutch.  If I were a betting man I would say that maybe the English and Israelis have access to US made NVD.  But I may be wrong.  Russain and Chinese would be crap, most of that Gen 1 stuff on the market when I was looking at it a few years ago was Ukranian.  IIRC the "gen1" ruskie stuff would have been a "gen0" on the American scale.  The 2 samples I saw had specs of stuff on the tube, and required lots of ambient light or the IR illuminator.  That was probably a good thing since the IR illuminator was constantly on.

I highly recommend saving up and buying the US made stuff, either a MUM (mini-14) or PVS-14 from Victor.  The PVS-14 with the hand select tube would be the way  to go.  I bought a hand select MUM from Victor and  I was and still am thoroughly impressed with its performance.

And by the time you got the Euro stuff here if you could , would it still be a bargain?

Dunno bout the Brits, but the Phrench have thier own, Germans have scopes of their own-dunno bout goggles.. The Israelis have had American NVD's for a long, long time. In fact there was a large number of PVS5's, AN/TVS2's, PVS4's etc. surplused out from their military about a year and a half ago that ended up back here.

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top