Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 8:21:54 PM EDT

My PVS-14s have a GGG mount. When I stuff it behind a Trijicon TA-11, it works great. The donut is a bit too bright, but still nice. Field of view not so wide.

When I put the PVS-14s behind a TA-31, the field of view is wider, but there are some internal reflections that make the image less than perfect. Still very good. The chevron does not seem too bright.

When I put the PVS-14s behind an Eotech, I cannot get it too close. About 1.25 inches away. The PVS-14 'sees' light reflecting off the back of the Eotech and that makes the view much lower contrast then if I shade it with my hand. So what is the solution? Do people just live with it? Or is there some hood that I can put on the front of the PVS-14s?

But I will say, if you focus the PVS-14, the Eotech reticle becomes very sharp.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a NVG model Eotech?

Mine works fine

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I do. It works fine. But if you have any light behind you, the PVS-14 'sees' the back of the Eotech light up, and it reduces contrast a lot. I will just live with it. Anyway, this is a good reason to want a black Eotech and not a tan one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Now I understand.   Haven't encountered that situation specifically.

Couple thoughts - some type of improvised hood, or just used the PVS head mounted
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to put the EO way in front on my MRP, the PVS14 sees through the EO's window frame and gives a better FOV.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried that on my MRP, and it worked well. Downside is that it messes with the balance of the rifle. Also I want to keep the Eotech in one place for all uses.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Robert, I brought this problem up earlier, and although I haven't messed with it yet (waiting for warmer nights), I've toyed with the idea of either painting the rear shelf with a non-reflective matte black paint, or possibly using the fuzzy felt-like side of Velcro stick-on to cover the smooth finish on the shelf.  

At first I wasn't terribly impressed with the 14-eotech combo, until I did like you, and shielded the area between the two units, it made a big difference.  

Anyway, if the shelf has a non-reflective finish, it should help.  

Play around with a flashlight (eotech only), you'll also notice that light shining down onto the battery compartment is actually transmitted onto the back shelf via the prism effect of the lens.  A simple "lens shade", can be made with black construction paper, and slipped between the armored shield and the lens housing, it costs basically nothing, and won't ruin the field of view, as it's in line with the housing anyway.  It can be as long as you like, and will stay in place fairly well by friction fit.  You can also slide it back towards the PVS-14 to block that light too.  

High Tech?  Nope.  Will it help?  Yep.  

ETA, kind of like this...but nicer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top