Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 2/16/2006 10:59:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor]
Thought about starting a pic thread for  nv equipment.  Might help some of us decide what to get.

Let's see what they can do!
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Some pics with my BAE UTM.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 4:44:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#4]
Harris HP+

Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#5]
1x and 2x on the iPhone lenses - notoriously tough to capture both a center and pano tube at the same time, but this gives a fair view of how the images blend together pretty smoothly. Remember the FoV is another 50% on top of this - looks like 3 tubes across when running them (AN/AVS-10).

Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jwramp:
1x and 2x on the iPhone lenses - notoriously tough to capture both a center and pano tube at the same time, but this gives a fair view of how the images blend together pretty smoothly. Remember the FoV is another 50% on top of this - looks like 3 tubes across when running them (AN/AVS-10).

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7918/46432870184_573b74d7f4_h.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7916/33281091048_cf56aedbb9_h.jpg
View Quote
Is it weird or disorienting at all to have a stereo center image but mono side images?  I imagine having depth perception in the middle and not on the side could fuck with your brain.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Klaustrophobia:

Is it weird or disorienting at all to have a stereo center image but mono side images?  I imagine having depth perception in the middle and not on the side could fuck with your brain.
View Quote
When I look to the right without NVGs on I see my nose with my left eye... also mono peripheral...
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 2:27:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Augee] [#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow. Fantastic pics guys.

JW, that's got to be the clearest iPhone NV pics I've ever seen--and of a quad system to boot! Would love to hear what manual settings, if any, you use on the iPhone...and even with a DSLR/mirrorless camera for NV shooting.

Augee, those are super useful comparison pics with a great layout. Of course like everyone says, even with such great pics they can't quite convey how these tubes look in analog RL use. For example, to my eye the Photonis ECHO pic seems to have the higher contrast/"better" image vs the L3 WP Filmless, which almost looks a little blown out. But in actual use I'm betting the L3 exhibits less scintillation and shows more useful detail in darker recesses (at least that's been my limited experience when comparing copies of both [ECHO WP, L3 WP Filmless] side-by-side, while noting individual specs make a big difference).

I really need to find my iPhone adapter (or buy another, they're so cheap)!
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
X2, especially the DSLR settings. I have settings I got some years back from someone in the industry that worked awesome. Unfortunately he moved on and I can't find them.

I agree, pics (and video too) are so f'n frustrating sometimes compared to the actual image. You have to get so much material to find the ones that captured better than others.

The Echo looks better than the Intens & L3 filmed too.

Originally Posted By C3N4-1:
Wow. Fantastic pics guys.

JW, that's got to be the clearest iPhone NV pics I've ever seen--and of a quad system to boot! Would love to hear what manual settings, if any, you use on the iPhone...and even with a DSLR/mirrorless camera for NV shooting.

Augee, those are super useful comparison pics with a great layout. Of course like everyone says, even with such great pics they can't quite convey how these tubes look in analog RL use. For example, to my eye the Photonis ECHO pic seems to have the higher contrast/"better" image vs the L3 WP Filmless, which almost looks a little blown out. But in actual use I'm betting the L3 exhibits less scintillation and shows more useful detail in darker recesses (at least that's been my limited experience when comparing copies of both [ECHO WP, L3 WP Filmless] side-by-side, while noting individual specs make a big difference).

I really need to find my iPhone adapter (or buy another, they're so cheap)!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:
Like I said in the OOB thread, these are all kind “teasers,” hahaha, much more detail will be coming about specific conditions, etc.

But, same order:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468022/7C6BED78-5920-4B45-9FB3-9308D28DE3BF-854439.jpg

~Augee
View Quote
So excited to see more of this...
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Like I said in the OOB thread, these are all kind “teasers,” hahaha, much more detail will be coming about specific conditions, etc.

But, same order:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468022/7C6BED78-5920-4B45-9FB3-9308D28DE3BF-854439.jpg

~Augee
View Quote
Love the teasers man! Specific conditions like environmental, focus, specs, etc are great to include but you just got to do what you can with what you think are relevant variables and just send it. These things take real time to put together so I can really appreciate the effort that goes into it. Wish I had more time to spend on this stuff!

So this latest round of pics are nice because now you can see up-close how the L3 WP Filmless tube shows more detail on the face and blaster vs the Photonis ECHO WP tube. Though I will say the writing on the hat and badge appear most crisp on the Photonis INTENS. They are all close enough to say that perhaps many of the perceived quality differences in their images could be down to those afore-mentioned conditions/variables. Certainly educated hands-on use, under controlled conditions, is best. But that's rarely possible for most of us, so we rely on our sharper forumites and retailers to provide that qualitative interpretation that dovetails with our wants/needs. That's why you're paid the big bucks. Anyhow, though none of this so far contradicts my own generalizations based on what I've read/seen online or experienced first-hand--more info like this is very much welcome!
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By will-1:
X2, especially the DSLR settings. I have settings I got some years back from someone in the industry that worked awesome. Unfortunately he moved on and I can't find them.

I agree, pics (and video too) are so f'n frustrating sometimes compared to the actual image. You have to get so much material to find the ones that captured better than others.

View Quote
Those are just me holding my iPhone up to the goggles... and they're ball mounted so I had to balance the whole helmet in my hand too haha. I typically use the "Pro Camera" app so I can lock it into the 1x or 2x lenses on the iPhone XS - the built in camera will try to outsmart you and flip back and forth between them - horrible if you're shooting through a scope or something else where alignment is important. Then I just tap to autofocus and really just use the auto exposure too...
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Yep, huge difference using these first-hand and it's so hard to capture accurately. That's why I really appreciate what Augee and JW did.

Yeah see it's subjective as well--I agree somewhat the ECHO looks a bit better overall than the INTENS and L3 Filmed, but I feel that' more down to the difference between WP and GP. The detail of the writing on the hat and handgun are sharper on the INTENS than the ECHO.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jwramp:

Those are just me holding my iPhone up to the goggles... and they're ball mounted so I had to balance the whole helmet in my hand too haha. I typically use the "Pro Camera" app so I can lock it into the 1x or 2x lenses on the iPhone XS - the built in camera will try to outsmart you and flip back and forth between them - horrible if you're shooting through a scope or something else where alignment is important. Then I just tap to autofocus and really just use the auto exposure too...
View Quote
Good tips! I use the Pro Camera app too when using with the iPhone adapter. I feel like the faster 1x iPhone (7 Plus for me) lens gives me better results than the 2x in most situations. You?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll have to try that app thanks for that. For a while now I've given up using the Canon and use an iPhone instead. So much easier.

Good tips! I use the Pro Camera app too when using with the iPhone adapter. I feel like the faster 1x iPhone (7 Plus for me) lens gives me better results than the 2x in most situations. You?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
The NVGs put out plenty of light for either - for me I'll flip to 2x when I want the tube to fill the field of view (mostly in video, but it def crops most of the black away in photo too), whereas 1x shows you're certainly looking through a NVG tube. Have to stay at 1x if you want to capture both tubes in the panos though. 2x gives you a little more resolution to play with so pixels aren't wasted on black perimeter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I still haven't found a solution.  I have the camera adapter ring from TNVC but I still havnt found a way to attach it to a DSLR lens without having a custom adapter made.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:47:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#23]
Like Vic said you need the right step rings. I brought my device and the camera adapter to a legit camera store and they found the right step down/up rings.

Edit to add: also bring your camera lens/lenses

Originally Posted By RaptorFuel:
I still haven't found a solution.  I have the camera adapter ring from TNVC but I still havnt found a way to attach it to a DSLR lens without having a custom adapter made.  Any thoughts?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I sure as hell aint no JW... but;

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468022/357198B8-FF20-463F-A8E4-BF9C9A47DE4A-853837.jpg

Clockwise from top left:

Photonis ECHO
Photonis 4G INTENS
L3 OMNI VIII Filmed
L3 WP Filmless

~Augee
View Quote
Good pic comparison, Augee
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#25]

But, same order:

~Augee
View Quote
And again
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Not any good at taking pics yet but these are the best I've gotten so far.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:13:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ2A] [#27]
Attachment Attached File

Took some video around the neighborhood to show a pretty good example of mixed lighting conditions. My dumbass forgot to turn off auto focus though

Tube specs

L3 filmless white phosphor
34 SNR
.8 EBI
.7 Halo
64 lp/mm

Dropbox Link
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:51:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RaptorFuel] [#28]
Originally Posted By TNVC:

You have the 46mm adapter. Do you know the size of your lens? You will need a step up/step down ring adapter for the len B&H Photo carries a good amount of adapters.
View Quote
@TNVC

I have a lens that takes 77mm filters.  I looked around BH and I could only find a step-up 46-77, not a step-down.

ETA.  I looked again and found a 77-52 and a 52-46.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Had to see what all the damn racket outside my window was.  Can you spot the backyard wildlife?

I did not know these critters made that much noise until tonight.  Or climbed trees.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Raccoon? Yeah man. They are cats and when they fight they are loud as hell.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Klaustrophobia:
Had to see what all the damn racket outside my window was.  Can you spot the backyard wildlife?

https://i.imgur.com/NDAR2UL.jpg

I did not know these critters made that much noise until tonight.  Or climbed trees.
View Quote
Needs more thermal
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah I want thermal.  I don't have the first clue what to get though.  I'm not a hunter and likely never will be.  Except SHTF is the reason/self-justification for buying my multi-thousand dollar adult toys (not those kind!) and you really kinda want a thermal scope for that I would think.  But the real use would be just looking at stuff at night.  E-coti is high on the list for that reason, but it seems like the MOST niche use thermal product to me, even if that niche is where I would primarily use it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#34]
We're talking a lot about Photonis tubes these days , so thought I could share.
Basic Iphone 5 pics so pretty shit , obviously doesn't represent the actual view through the tube.

Photonis XR5 , yes that's an IR Chemligh in the first pic

75-80% Moon.

Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:39:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#35]
Photonis Echo white phosphor

Harris HP+

Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:50:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HK_MARK23] [#36]
Crappy phone pics, sorry for the quality. Taken through a Litton Nitemate I just picked up for 7 bills. Other person in the pics is member west_tx_wonder.

Link Posted: 3/11/2019 5:48:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#38]
Can an Aurora play? I'll be poor right here

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Only if that's an OOB light source

Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Can an Aurora play? I'll be poor right here

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/263586/SiOnyx-415F54_20190308193709_XQE_0008_JPG-874160.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Only if that's an OOB light source
View Quote
It's one of those IR doodads
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#41]
That doohickey shines damn bright

Originally Posted By JoeMal:
It's one of those IR doodads
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Snapped some pics tonight. No moon starlight only and dark as hell.

L3 Filmless WP 72lp/mm 34.9snr  

Harris HP+ 64lp/mm 30snr
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 2:19:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ChrisNTN] [#43]
Very nice @will-1

These nice trees are always blocking my views of the sky.

Link Posted: 4/8/2019 2:23:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#44]
@ChrisNTN
Is that through a PVS-15

Originally Posted By ChrisNTN:
Very nice @will-1

These nice trees are always blocking my views of the sky.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40774/20190406_004130-905152.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 2:52:18 AM EDT
[#45]
@ChrisNTN
Is that through a PVS-15
View Quote
@will-1
Nope that pic is through my 1st set Night Vision Depot BNVD-3 goggles that are now my wifes. I picked up the HEAT/L3 PVS15's today and checked them out tonight but didn't bring my phone out to snap some pics through. Those will be coming soon enough.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 3:05:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Congrats. Looking forward to seeing it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#47]
More from last night. Pitch black. No moon.

Photonis Echo 4G WP. 67lp/mm 31.01snr

L3 Filmless WP (N-Vision Optics Z3 Blem -14) 72lp/mm 34.9snr

Link Posted: 4/9/2019 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Crappy iPhone pic.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:32:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ChrisNTN] [#49]
First phone pics through the PVS15's. Couldn't get the camera to focus too well tonight. Saw a bat flying, 4 moths and 6 shooting stars or debris coming back into our atmosphere.

I do notice that the PVS15 seem brighter compared to my BNVD's and pick up light A LOT easier from the street lights down the way which bloom on the tips of the trees.

I'm sure once I clean the lens from the camera and take my time, I'll get some really nice shots though them.

And a quick video I did panning around the trees and sky. Make sure to crank that viewing quality all the way up in the setting tab.

Link Posted: 4/14/2019 3:51:53 AM EDT
[#50]
N-Vision PVS-14 L3 Filmless White Phosphor with Arms Unlimited Universal Phone Adapter.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top