Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
i definately like the MUM2 but the D-740 is killer as well. either way, vic- i will be getting in touch with you soon, probaly around  january. as all the santa money has already been spent. thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
+1. i think that is the setup i am going to run with. how do you like it?
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Though Victor's dedicated IR Illuminator is impressive, I went with the smaller Surefire M1 for my carbine. It fit's the bill perfectly.

I'm looking for an addtional IR unit for navigation and thought about another M1. But I was curious how the Pentagon S2 4-Watt IR Illuminator stands up against the Surefire M1 Infrared Illuminator???

Any opinions/thoughts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Question....Leupold CQ/T. NV capable?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 12:54:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#9]
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Fantastic pics Vic!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Dang'it, get those 740 pics posted!
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Was playing with my D760 last night and had to chime in a bit.  The D760 is a PIMP DADDY tool.  Got mine through VicD and was hooked up with an Optics HQ hand select SCREAMIN specs tube.  Did I mention the D760 was the PIMP DADDY tool?  

My house backs up to a preserve and I was messing around with various focal points and  imaginary targets and generally staying up late screwing around.  Bottom line...if the wind chill was not 40 degrees I would still be out there right now.

This is really the first time I put the D760 up to a test of any sort.  Surprisingly I found that even thought it is 6x, proper- and easy to adjust- focus, allows you to sight close-in targets at @50 meters almost like a 4x.  It is an incredibly clear and versatile night scope.  In that respect I figure folks who don't yet have a D760 have the following reasons for not owning one:

1) They can't afford one
2) They don't understand how good it is

PIMP DADDY SHIZNIT!!!

Special thanks to Micheal and Victor for "breaking" me into the world of night and for having the patience to teach me and hold my hand through various purchases.

If it is within your means....buy one now....right now.  Seriously!

Freddy
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:16:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jnglt91] [#15]
BTW- I am now a naturalized Texan and live near Austin.  I really need to get hooked up with places to shoot at night.  Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks! Freddy
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
No, these are non-gated.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Taggage.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:18:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steven1513] [#19]
Any experience with the ITT 7021 day/night scope?  Is it commercially available?  How about the ~$6k D-830 day/night scope?  Both are 2.5-10x56 gen 3.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:42:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OpticsHQ] [#20]
Those are basically the same. They are both made by Seiler (housing) and ITT tube.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:10:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OpticsHQ] [#22]
I guess it is time for another clarification. Apparently a number of people were unsure about the purpose of my posts as well as the relationship between Victor and OpticsHQ. The only reason I posted here was to state a few facts/explanations and correct misrepresentation/confusion about image intensifier tubes. I did not do this to get more sales for us (that is Victor's job hile
This being said, I urge everyone to forward his or her questions to him rather then directly to me, as I will actively support his role of being our representative on this forum.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#23]
like heron i am wanting to find out who biulds the D-760 opticsHQ claims that the ones they sell come  with a warranty card who would the waranty be with ITT or with the manufacurer-biulder of the device

i have seen all the posting for night vison and am wondering if this is the same senario befor the 1994 ban on hicap magazines do i need to go out and buy the 2 units i want now to make shure i get the best possible stuff or can i wait

i also see some folks like MSTN biuding units and alot of good feedback
is this a good way to go
ive bought a NV device before and have gotten burned was told it was 3rd gen and i think its more like 2 maybe 2 pluse the image is ok and its got full field of view not like 1st gen but its got alot of sparkles in it kind of looks like mad ants running around
so i am very conserned about who i buy from i dont want another NVD that i dont know what to do with
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By mavrick211:
like heron i am wanting to find out who biulds the D-760 opticsHQ claims that the ones they sell come  with a warranty card who would the waranty be with ITT or with the manufacurer-biulder of the device

i have seen all the posting for night vison and am wondering if this is the same senario befor the 1994 ban on hicap magazines do i need to go out and buy the 2 units i want now to make shure i get the best possible stuff or can i wait

i also see some folks like MSTN biuding units and alot of good feedback
is this a good way to go
ive bought a NV device before and have gotten burned was told it was 3rd gen and i think its more like 2 maybe 2 pluse the image is ok and its got full field of view not like 1st gen but its got alot of sparkles in it kind of looks like mad ants running around
so i am very conserned about who i buy from i dont want another NVD that i dont know what to do with

FWIW, I just got a PVS-14 from Vic, and it is definitely TOP SHELF.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I was one of the lucky ones to get a PVS-14 Delta kit from Victor... is an exceptional purchase. Is better than described, The PVS-14 housings are reconditioned but I can't tell, LOOKS brand new too me, not a scratch all accessible compartments (battery) are tight just like a new one!! VERY NICE UNIT.
Vic did exactly as he said he would, great comms, fast shipping, overall a very positive experience. Do not hesitate to buy from this member, he's a straight shooter... I can't say enough expressing my satisfaction. Will post more updates on the boards regarding the performance of the tube, it's a delta so don't expect any complaints... perfectly clear and the varible gain is so smooth from bottom to top. Very very low noise signature and did I say NO BLEMS?
This kit cost less than my 16 month old USNV-14 (MUM) which has an gen III ultra tube in it. While it is a pretty fine piece of equipment, it's not as nice as the PVS-14D from Vic, and I save some $$'s too! Life is good at night!
Thanks again Vic,
Bill V.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:32:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OpticsHQ] [#26]
Heron and Mavrick,

I know it is a very unusual concept, but if you want to know something, well...just ask. I would be curious to hear just how "you have tried to find out...with no result". Let's see....between the web site ( www.opticshq.com ), the forum ( www.nightvisionforums.com ), the phone numbers, e-mails etc....I really do need to know if you have attempted to get the information and were unable, because that way I will know what needs to be fixed/addressed. If you did not, well...

Overall, I do find it interesting that OpticsHQ got questioned immediately after I posted some info ( http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=252739 )

As far as Victor is concerned, I have known him for about 2 years and have worked with him for over a year now. I do not know of a single customer who has a less then excellent comment about him.

Michael
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:11:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: heron163] [#27]
Michael - thanks for the reply...

I have spoken with Vic and exchanged e-mails with previously + 1 on Vic as a good guy.

so:

1. Who actually assembles the D-760? Are these Russian made optics with a US image tube?

2. What image tube is installed in the D-760 and how is it warranteed?

I have not asked you this directly yet but I have asked other sellers and not gotten a response.

thanks and regards
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:20:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OpticsHQ] [#28]
Heron,

1. The D-760 is assembled by us. The housing is made by Dedal in Moscow and they use the highest grade European glass available. In assembly, we use brand new ITT F9800SELA image intensifiers with Test Data Cards.

2. The tube is F9800SELA and it is warranted through ITT. If there is a problem, you return the scope to us and we send the tube to ITT for repairs replacement. The housing is warranted through us.

Hope this helps.

Michael
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#29]
sorry for the confusion i didnt think that opticsHQ actually biult them i have seen D760's other places so i thought that the places that sold them probably imported the whole unit and was just a middle man

thanks for the info and the clarification   ill order one next week
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#30]
can someone post a pic of the weapon mount for a pvs-18, thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:29:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: heron163] [#31]
Michael:

thanks for the information on the D-760. I have a few more questions:

1. I found some information on the ITT website on the 9800 series tube. There is one optimized for weapon site applications which I believe is autogated. Which model tube does the D760 use?

very close to making a decision
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By v188:
How much of a point of impact (POI) change does a PVS14 make behind a EOTech, if both are mounted on the upper?

Also, is there any difference in POI if the 14 is head mounted?

You should experience no shift in impact when using PVS-14 with EOTech.  The EOTech is parallax free.  The NVD will not affect this either weapon mounted or head mounted.  Looking through the NVD is no different than your eye looking through the EOTech.  If you can see the dot in the window, with your eye or through a tube, the POI will be the same.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By v188:
A question from a new -14 owner, eagerly awaiting the mail.

I'm going to use it with my EOTech.  That said, which would be best:

a.  Buy a 3x for the PVS14 for better reach at night with the EOTech.

b.  Buy the 3x (when it comes out) for the EOTech?

Also, how useful is the 3x for the PVS14?  They don't seem real expensive, and I never see anyone using them, should I consider that a clue?  LOL

TIA

The 3x on the front of the PVS-14 works great behind the EOTech.  This will be more compact than mounting the PVS-14 behing the EOTech with the 4x.  The word is the EOTech 4x won't be out till some time in early '06.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#34]
some one had mentioned opticsHQ i am looking for a D-760 and the very best monocular for on off weapon use opticsHQ states that they have D-760's that have very good intensifier tubes that will never be available again im new to the night vision world and am wondering if what they say is true  or can i wait a few more months
i am also looking for a realy good anpvs-14D   i would buy a MUM but i want a unit with a variable gain and the best internals i can get i see alot of people posting in the for sale section selling stuff that they biuld or just trying to sell what they have how do U tell if these people are legit
where would i get the best D-760and anpvs-14D
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By mavrick211:
some one had mentioned opticsHQ i am looking for a D-760 and the very best monocular for on off weapon use opticsHQ states that they have D-760's that have very good intensifier tubes that will never be available again im new to the night vision world and am wondering if what they say is true  or can i wait a few more months
i am also looking for a realy good anpvs-14D   i would buy a MUM but i want a unit with a variable gain and the best internals i can get i see alot of people posting in the for sale section selling stuff that they biuld or just trying to sell what they have how do U tell if these people are legit
where would i get the best D-760and anpvs-14D

I have also tried to get information about the d-760 with the select tube with no results. As best as I can tell - and if anyone here can shed some light - please do - the D-760 uses russian made optical components with a US made gen III tube. I got a bit nervous when I couldn't really find out whoa ctually puts the system together. A couple of months back, I started looking for a monocular - lots of people selling them but I ended up buying one from GG&G - an ITT PVS-14 for $3100.
I am very pleased with this unit  and having the ITT factory warranty is somewhat reassuring on item this expensive

good luck - lots of choices out there so do your homework...

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:19:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#36]
Mav and Heron....PLEASE read pg. 1 of this thread where I compared the D-760 vs. Raptor.  I deal with the D-760 for over a year now and my opinion STILL stands.  With a select A, hand select tube, the D-760 CANNOT BE BEAT, well except for the Raptor at a 1000 yards or better! It's half the price and half the weight! Plus the Raptor is now restricted to LE and military new sales only.  

Vic

Edited to add..Mav, I emailed/IM you on some info.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#37]
Well, I know foilks HATE paging through past posts and until we get a DEDICATED NV forum (believe me I have asked NUMEROUS TIMES). Below, I have cut and pasted the review I wrote from last year.

Vic

"Hello all,

A short time ago I purchased BOTH the D-760 and a Raptor in 6x magnification. Both of course came standard with tube data sheets with remarkable hand picked tubes. 64LP, 27-29 Signal to Noise, etc. Both units also have red mil-dot reticules with the D-760 having a very ingenuous amber or red mil-dot reticule selectable switch on the power knob.

I took both units out to a VERY dark DoD facility out west and got to play with two of the best and finest pieces of gear I ever laid my hands on and did a comparison test between the two. I started my observing last week with a 1/4 moon at approx. 0430hrs and of course me being me, I decided to observe at the far reaches of the universe to start things off at 1600 yards and work out!! Both units were on platforms consisting of a custom AWC .300 win mag, as well as a new MSTN custom AR-15 6.8 SPC with an ARMS #58 SIR. No shooting was allowed on the facility at this time, so I settled for a small sized forklift parked broadside for viewing purposes. When I first looked through the Raptor, I was simply AMAZED at the clarity and contrast I could see out this far. NO WAY would I be able to see this detail on a hot steamy day with all the mirage coming off the tarmac. But at night, I was simply amazed by the Raptor’s Sharp and clear contrast and resolution. For a $7,000.00 NVD, I was hoping I would be amazed. Next came the D-760 which btw, was (it seemed) half the weight of the Raptor along with almost half the price! I have not weighed the Raptor vs. the D-760 as yet, but I can tell you the Raptor is a monster compared to the D-760. The Raptor has a 165mm objective compared to a 110mm with the D-760 which is where most of the weight is held. Anyways, back to the D-760…..Powered up the 760 and at first forgot to focus the far field adjustment and the image at 1600 yards was a bit blurry. After the focus was made, I came away also amazed by the brightness and resolution. The ONLY difference I saw after 30 minutes going back and forth of the two was the Raptors slight edge on edge to edge sharpness and it seemed to have a wider field of view which seemed to equate to a bit more image magnification also probably due to the huge objective glass the Raptor has. These scopes were VERY close to one another in views through the eye piece. In fact, they were soooo close I had a colleague look through BOTH scopes and stated the same exact thing I had. I NEVER told him what scope he was looking though as I put a dark towel over both units to hide their identities! Both units at 1600 yards saw the forklift with great detail, with the Raptor winning out by seeing the cab frame a bit better. As I stated at the beginning of this article, me being me I then tested the long range observation characteristics with a small 10’ x 20’ storage shed as well as a 64' ground based antenna dish at 3500 yards away!!! Both units saw the shed and dish with ease with the Raptor clearly showing off its 165mm objective with an incredibly sharp image. The D-760 was no slouch; the shed was clearly defined but not as sharp. If anything, these two units can be used not only for NVD sniper scopes, but for the world’s best observation NVD spotting scopes PERIOD!!

I decided to bring the fork lift in at 500 yards and see what we could see. At the conclusion of this viewing session, my colleague and I agreed that there was virtually no difference in target recognition at this distance. They were almost identical in ALL areas at 500 yards and we also observed at 300 and 100 yards with the same results.

After spending the next hour looking through both units, both my colleague and I agreed that for mission requirements out past 600 yards, the Raptor would be deployed for the crisp and razor sharp images. That of course is what the 165mm objective and $7,000.00 will get you. As for the D-760, anything in below 600 yards would be easy pickin’s. The price difference of course is VERY large between both units so individuals whose profession includes protecting lives and want the VERY best edge to edge resolution and sharpness, the Raptor can be justified. For some military and all LEO and varmint hunters, I cannot think of any better NV scope than the D-760 for the price of under 4K. It's light weight, and has a great tube. In fact, both units had the best tubes I’ve ever looked through with NO blemishes to speak of, not a speck I could see.

In closing I can tell you that what ever units you choose, you cannot go wrong. Presently though, the new off the shelf Raptors for sale are now restricted to LE and military units ONLY. They are legal to own of course, but any new units for sale are restricted. Unless you know someone in the LE community or military, obtaining a brand new Raptor could now be very difficult. With this news of course, I'm sure the price will soar well above the $7,000.00 current Raptor retail price tag if you can even find one. What’s left to buy you say? The D-760 is it."

Edited to add..Here is a recent pic of the D-760.  Top pic at 200M and the other a rock formation at 600M as I was testing out a new laser illuminator  ENJOY!

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Optik45] [#39]
Bones.

It depends on your distance needs.

If you are going to be shooting 25-75 yards I would recommend a  Mini14, or a PVS14, or a D300 with ITT Hand Select Tube (much cheaper than the Mini's and PVS14's) The Mini14 comes with headgear and rifle mount if purchased at OpticsHQ.com. Like Stated before you will need to use an Aimpoint, Eotech, or IR laser with this setup. But you will not be able to get a precise shot at 75 Yards on a varmint sized target.

If You are going to be shooting yotes and varmints at 75-150 yards I would recommend a dedicated Gen III NV Scope, like a D740 or D760 with an ELR IR. You will need the magnification. I know they are heavy and are not interchangable but it is the best for Varmint hunting. I Coyote hunt and I would highly recommend a Gen III Dedicated NV scope and a cheap Gen I NV monocular for navigation.

Head over to www.nightvisionforums.com if you need some information. We are glad to answer any of your questions. The Guys at www.opticsHQ.com offer the best customer service and even allow for an equipment upgrade before 60 days if you arent satisfied with your purchase. Send me a PM and I can help you out.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:59:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fight4yourrights] [#40]

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:07:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#41]

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
userweb.suscom.net/~fight4yourrights/pictures/PVS14001.jpg

userweb.suscom.net/~fight4yourrights/pictures/PVS14006.jpg

Thanks for the pics...Liked the setup...It looks as if those are Larue mounts? What model # are those for the 14 and EO? The BIGGEST issue with th ARMS PVS-14 mount is I cannot leave the helmet mount installed when mounted to the weapon. Thanks

Vic
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:28:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fight4yourrights] [#42]

Originally Posted By Victor:

Thanks for the pics...Liked the setup...It looks as if those are Larue mounts? What model # are those for the 14 and EO? The BIGGEST issue with th ARMS PVS-14 mount is I cannot leave the helmet mount installed when mounted to the weapon. Thanks

Vic

Yes, those are LaRue.     They offer 2 models of the PVS mount - one for on the flattop and one for one the ECOS-C riser.

As you can see, you can leave the helmet mount on.  It's a tight fit, but it all works.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Ok fellas, I'm in the market for a new night vision device, 3rd generation.

I'll keep it simple so you guys can help me out.

1. It will be used for varmit killing; Coyotes, Hogs, Beaver, etc...  ( I live on a small farm, we are plagued with varmits )

2. I have a Generation 1 Russian scope but it just doesn't have the distance or clarity that I need. It will be sold to fund new optic.

3. I need a Gen. 3 device that will easily switch between guns (goggles or monucular) and be fully compatible with various scopes. I want versatility, I don't have that with the NV scope I have now... it is dedicated to 1 gun only.

4. Everyone here seems dead set on a "monocular", I had my "eye" on goggles... What are the pros / cons of goggles compared to monoculars ?  I was assuming that it would be easier using both eyes instead of training 1 eye, am I wrong ?

5. The pvs14 (mono) and pvs7 (goggles) seemed to be priced the same, depending on tube quality. Anyone have experience with both ?

I have read through all the other pages in this thread, but I just wanted you guys to see what I will be using it for and help me decide based on what my uses will be.

Thanks for any help  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#44]
What range are you shooting them at?

Goggles or a monocular are only going to work with Eotechs, Aimpoints and similar 1x optics.  They aren't going to work with regular scope.

If you goggles or a monocular, you'd need to go one of those optics, OR a laser - visible or infared.

If not, you need to go with a better NVG scope.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bones21] [#45]

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
What range are you shooting them at?
Around 100 yards

Goggles or a monocular are only going to work with Eotechs, Aimpoints and similar 1x optics.  They aren't going to work with regular scope. I was thinking that would be the case... I see a slight market for a scope cap that has NV compatible crosshairs... there's a lightbulb flashing over my head right now  ; )  

If you goggles or a monocular, you'd need to go one of those optics, OR a laser - visible or infared.
Well I have an M6X on my AR... it is hella sweet. I am thinking about buying a IR laser module and making
my own IR aimer for "experimental / educational purposes"  : )  

If not, you need to go with a better NVG scope. I'd rather not go back to a scope because they are heavy, not quickly interchangable and because a headmounted unit would be easier for walking concealed at night, of course

One more question:  Where is the best place to buy a PVS-14 or PVS-7, best prices, best service, and best return / exchange policy ???   There are so many online stores, it's hard to know which is the best for a $$ minded consumer.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#46]
Bones,

Sent you IM/Email to give you some options.

Vic
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Is there a  paint or "magic marker that is only viewable with NVD?  
For example: if you wanted to leave a message written for someone to read that had NV equipment.
If so, can someone please post a link for such a product.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By PreBandit:
Can someone tell me in layman's terms what the difference between the PVS-14 and the PVS14D is?
Also is the 3x magnifier a worthy accessory?

Thanks.

The MAIN difference is the PVS-Delta has the auto shut-off wired for the flip-up mount and the Delta units usually come with a hard case type .50 cal shipping container and data sheet. Direct military sales also come with a LIF lens as well along with the standard demist and sac lens.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:01:39 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By Skammy:
Just wanted to post this here 'cause it looks interesting..
starts around $3750

Gee.  How much for the burlap shirt?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top