Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 11:05:56 PM EDT
I am new to the NV arena - I have an atn monocle gen2+.  Are there combination NV / thermal scopes, goggles/monocles?

Also does anyone have a list of quality NV scope manufacturers? I have seen Victor's ads and read several of his posts (which are very informative BTW).  I was just wondering in addition to the models listed in our EE.

Thanks in advance,

sst7
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#1]
anyone?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think that you're going to see a combination NV and thermal sight due to several factos including:  reduction in resolution, weight, cost, size and battery life.

FWIW I do know of some USMC Hornet pilots who claimed that they used their NV goggles with their navigation FLIR being displayed on the HUD who found that in instances of attacking vehicles it was useful as a means of id'ing the vehicle type as well as determing its direction of travel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't think that you're going to see a combination NV and thermal sight due to several factos including:  reduction in resolution, weight, cost, size and battery life.

FWIW I do know of some USMC Hornet pilots who claimed that they used their NV goggles with their navigation FLIR being displayed on the HUD who found that in instances of attacking vehicles it was useful as a means of id'ing the vehicle type as well as determing its direction of travel.

Thanks for the info.

sst7
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Not only is it possible, its for sale- but not to you. Google ENVG from ITT. I played with one about 5 months ago at the ANG/NG convention in HI. I used to work for Raytheon on thermal systems. I have worked on, played with and owned a bunch of thermal systems and I can say that the ENVG is awesome- best of both worlds. It basically superimposes the thermal shadow over a NV image. Both the NV and the thermal systems in the ENVG have gain controls so you can set the system to greater NG image, less thermal and vise versa. Oh, and its smaller than a pack of smokes. I am unfazed by normal advances in this industry but this is truly a leap and bound ahead of anything else, squelching the nv vs. thermal debate for good.

now the bad news:

Not designed (at this time) as a weapon sight- Goggles for now.

I ask when civi sales would start. Answer: "Not for a really, really long time."
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not only is it possible, its for sale- but not to you. Google ENVG from ITT. I played with one about 5 months ago at the ANG/NG convention in HI. I used to work for Raytheon on thermal systems. I have worked on, played with and owned a bunch of thermal systems and I can say that the ENVG is awesome- best of both worlds. It basically superimposes the thermal shadow over a NV image. Both the NV and the thermal systems in the ENVG have gain controls so you can set the system to greater NG image, less thermal and vise versa. Oh, and its smaller than a pack of smokes. I am unfazed by normal advances in this industry but this is truly a leap and bound ahead of anything else, squelching the nv vs. thermal debate for good.

now the bad news:

Not designed (at this time) as a weapon sight- Goggles for now.

I ask when civi sales would start. Answer: "Not for a really, really long time."

Thanks - good to know that it is out there....maybe we will get lucky and someone will decide to release it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
You know what, I'm gonna start saving now.  No shit I want that!  I'm gonna put three-four bucks a day away until this is available.  Then I'll finance the rest of it by selling my soul.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You know what, I'm gonna start saving now.  No shit I want that!  I'm gonna put three-four bucks a day away until this is available.  Then I'll finance the rest of it by selling my soul.

YEAH NO KIDDING ! ! ! What kind of points can you get for a soul these days?

Thermal technology is not going to come down in price very quickley at all. About the only civilian uses I know of are, Firefighters use them to look for hot spots in buildings that aren't YET on fire  and ( I know this will sound crazy) but High end race horse trainers have used thermal sights to look at race horses legs to look for hot spots to determine injury. NO KIDDING. I once herad of a trainer who was presented with a horse that was of a very high pedigree that could not run. the owner knew the vet used a theraml camera and asked him to check out the horse. The vet checked out the horse and found NOTHING wrong with the animals legs but saw a hot spot in the animals nose area. When the vet reprted this to the owner and trainer they alughed at him and said that isn't the problem. So the vet offered to buy the horse and fed up with the lack of performance the owner sold the horse cheap. The vet found a series of palups in the horses nose and removed them. The vet let the horse heal up, found a jokey and got into horse racing. First race the hose not only won but set a track record.

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I gotta say this....I've been holding my breath....  I know another apllication of thermal devices I found out about at the Shot Show.  If you don't want to see the WRITTEN response, please don't scroll below......
Some "un-named" folk where using a thermal device to see what breasts were real and what ones were not!!  I didn't LQQK!!

The applications are endless
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I gotta say this....I've been holding my breath....  I know another apllication of thermal devices I found out about at the Shot Show.  If you don't want to see the WRITTEN response, please don't scroll below......
Some "un-named" folk where using a thermal device to see what breasts were real and what ones were not!!  I didn't LQQK!!

Victor, you're a stronger man than I am.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...to look for hot spots in buildings that aren't YET on fire...

I have the misfortune of having a little fire fighting training.  Visibility is ZERO in an enclosed or even partially enclosed space that's on fire.  Nothing like what you see in the movies.  The smoke, steam and mask fogging prevents you from seeing.  

Typically, the first man on the stick has the nozzle and the second man has the thermal viewer.  This second man basically points towards the direction of the heat signature for the entire stick to advance on.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Here you go.  The weapon mounted DUNV.  I cannot download the pdf file but recall this is thermal/NV.  The number $27k comes to mind but that might be BS.  Good luck getting one at any price.  I also recall Victor posting somewhere that this company no longer sells to civs.  Seems that once you start suckling the .gov teat you no longer need to develop another customer base.  We pay for them but don't get to use them (unless you join the military).

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Voce fala Portuguese?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Voce fala Portuguese?

Falo sim.  Morei em Sao Paulo por dois anos e pouco e eu servi como um missionario em Salvador, BA.  Minha esposa e brasileira tambem.

Vou p/Brasil todo ano.

Jared (SST7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top