Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2022 4:02:51 PM EDT
I'm  sure this thread will get deleted like all of the other threads I've submitted here

For those of you lucky enough to see this before mods delete - the reddit NFA megathread had someone respond to the comments with the following:

"I talked to an ATF agent from my local field office on June 28th. he was suprisingly helpful, and contacted the NFA branch to see what was going on with these wild approvals. This is what he said: The ATF had started out processing eform 4s by doing the background checks first. This was fine until they got overwhelmed with applications. This meant that they had run background checks for thousands of forms before they were processed. As the forms started to pile up, they were concerned that if they did a background check on a form that would not be processed for months, the background check would not be current. What they did was put all of those forms back in the stack. Now, they will do the background check with the FBI AFTER the form is processed. They explicitly said that it was not the FBIs fault. They did also say that they have just started on the February stack"

So basically they fucked up, then when they realized their fuck up they just put the Feb and March forms back in the pile, at the end of the line.  That's why you are seeing April forward certifications getting approved, and virtually no Feb / April certs getting approved.  They are just now getting to them.  If they didn't fuck up we'd all have our cans now - but since they just put them at the back of the line, they went from an average 90 day approval to a 150+ day approval....fuck the ATF and the FBI.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm  sure this thread will get deleted like all of the other threads I've submitted here

For those of you lucky enough to see this before mods delete - the reddit NFA megathread had someone respond to the comments with the following:

"I talked to an ATF agent from my local field office on June 28th. he was suprisingly helpful, and contacted the NFA branch to see what was going on with these wild approvals. This is what he said: The ATF had started out processing eform 4s by doing the background checks first. This was fine until they got overwhelmed with applications. This meant that they had run background checks for thousands of forms before they were processed. As the forms started to pile up, they were concerned that if they did a background check on a form that would not be processed for months, the background check would not be current. What they did was put all of those forms back in the stack. Now, they will do the background check with the FBI AFTER the form is processed. They explicitly said that it was not the FBIs fault. They did also say that they have just started on the February stack"

So basically they fucked up, then when they realized their fuck up they just put the Feb and March forms back in the pile, at the end of the line.  That's why you are seeing April forward certifications getting approved, and virtually no Feb / April certs getting approved.  They are just now getting to them.  If they didn't fuck up we'd all have our cans now - but since they just put them at the back of the line, they went from an average 90 day approval to a 150+ day approval....fuck the ATF and the FBI.
View Quote

Sheesh...
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
2 with March certification so this explains it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#3]
2-22-22.

Still waiting…

Fcktards, the lot of them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Deleted
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Good to know. I have 2 pending from March 4th and was curious what the situation was. Thanks for the details.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#6]
JHC

Typical government incompetence. I’ve got 9 Efile form 4’s from February and march….crickets so far
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2 with March certification so this explains it.
View Quote
3/29 here. I saw an April submission with a recent approval from the same dealer and wanted to start flipping tables.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Sent an email recently to [email protected] asking what the hold up on my Paper Form 4 was and got a response that basically confirms what OP stated:

There is a dedicated team of FBI examiners who work solely on checks submitted by the ATF.  This is a small team of examiners and unfortunately they are often pulled from working on ATF checks to work on GCA checks which are those submitted by FFL’s for over the counter purchases for non-NFA firearms.  The Gun Control Act by law requires FBI/NICS to respond to dealers within 3 days, or the law says that dealers can transfer a GCA firearm without approval from the FBI; therefore, if GCA submissions are high, they pull our team to work the GCA checks.  This unfortunately, sometimes causes our checks to build a backlog.  Right now it is taking them approximately 60 days to review our checks from the date we submit them.  We don’t submit the check until we are at the point that we reach the application in our backlog because we need for the response to be current when we are ready to process the application.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang OP, this post has been up for 4 hours, managment must be out to supper. Congrats.

Sounds like some good info, I am waiting on 2.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]

this is the kind of high-quality incompetence only .gov can come up with while wasting our tax dollars
FAFT has a billion dollar budget, 60m a year in theft stamp fees alone, and nobody did a thought exercise about the process flow and how eforms would impact it?

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#11]
ATF be like, I wipe my ass and then take a shit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
It would be so easy for them to see one account is submitting multiple forms over a period of time and approve them all at once... And to use software to see that literally the only thing different between forms are the dates and can details... But this is the atf and instead we get random emails from various months submitted at different times
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#14]
So my thread where I asked how long is a BGC is good for was actually a decent one ??. The answer is “all depends how backlogged the BATFE is”.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ATF be like, I wipe my ass and then take a shit.
View Quote

How do they fuck?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for the details.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#17]
sounds like I got really lucky with my Feb 2 submission approval back on the 9th
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#18]
They had no problem cashing my check right away though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They had no problem cashing my check right away though.
View Quote

It's the only thing they do with haste.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Probably spent their Biden-bucks on ammunition instead of butts-in-seats to do the job the public expects them to do.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Great. Gives me the warm and fuzzies that the can I should have had in probably April is now halfway through July after a Feb10 submission.

Not real happy, but nothing I can do I spose.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#23]
They should have just started over with the February forms and put all later submissions on hold until they caught up.

One of my Feb. forms is back, hopefully the second one is soon to follow.

Thanks for the info OP.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I appreciate the info. I was getting frustrated watching people who submitted well after me getting approved. I'm still frustrated, but at least I know why now.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't put much faith in anything "Reddit said" about anything but it would explain a couple of eform 4's of mine.

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Crazy, glad I waited till June to try the whole e-form thing. Hopefully June’s go through quickly.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I got pretty screwed by all this malarkey. With the skip, seemed like I was getting close to getting my 4/19 certified can. Now, they’re back to early February. Feel like it’s going to take forever to get my 3/6 cert and extra forever to get my 4/19. What a mess…
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#28]
It baffles me at all that the ATF has to have the FBI perform background checks.  As a law enforcement agency, the ATF has full access to NCIC and every other pertinent criminal history database.  I can’t understand why they can’t just do the background check themselves as they process forms.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It baffles me at all that the ATF has to have the FBI perform background checks.  As a law enforcement agency, the ATF has full access to NCIC and every other pertinent criminal history database.  I can’t understand why they can’t just do the background check themselves as they process forms.
View Quote

Agreed. A BGC to purchase a firearm takes like 15 minutes. This should be a MUCH quicker process.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Since the BCG is such a big thing, I would think batch approvals would be a thing as it would save time. Heck, I’d think the FBI would insist upon it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JohnnyLoco:
Crazy, glad I waited till June to try the whole e-form thing. Hopefully June’s go through quickly.
View Quote

Wishful thinking. NFA branch is like having a pain in the ass kid at home…you’re mostly let down but every now and then your happily surprised.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Agreed. A BGC to purchase a firearm takes like 15 minutes. This should be a MUCH quicker process.
View Quote

<-----runs a 100+ FBI NICS checks a month........and its never taken more than five minutes.

But....unlike Title I NICS checks, the FBI is not budgeted or required by the Brady Law to conduct background checks for NFA firearms. They tell ATF that they are doing so as a "courtesy". NFA checks are given a lower priority than Title I checks. Further, unlike Title I NICS checks, the transferee must get a "proceed" status on his NFA firearm. Those that are "delayed" are backlogged until the FBI gets around to them. After thirty days that check is invalid. Thats why some Form 1's and 4's get stuck in background check hell.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

<-----runs a 100+ FBI NICS checks a month........and its never taken more than five minutes.

But....unlike Title I NICS checks, the FBI is not budgeted or required by the Brady Law to conduct background checks for NFA firearms. They tell ATF that they are doing so as a "courtesy". NFA checks are given a lower priority than Title I checks. Further, unlike Title I NICS checks, the transferee must get a "proceed" status on his NFA firearm. Those that are "delayed" are backlogged until the FBI gets around to them. After thirty days that check is invalid. Thats why some Form 1's and 4's get stuck in background check hell.
View Quote

Is there a reason - to your knowledge - that the ATF can't run the BGCs themselves? If they are dependent on the FBI and the FBI isn't obligated to do it, how is it supposed to get done? Seems like a MAJOR hole in bureaucratic process...
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.
View Quote

Yeah... Wouldn't surprise me. What a s**t show.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Is there a reason - to your knowledge - that the ATF can't run the BGCs themselves?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is there a reason - to your knowledge - that the ATF can't run the BGCs themselves?

Because no federal law enables ATF to do so. And I'm not sure it would be any better and likely worse.
Federal law assigns the responsibility of maintaining the various federal databases like NICS, NCIC, Fingerprints, etc to the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Division. Federal law doesn't budget for or give that responsibility to ATF, DEA, CBP, Secret Service etc.

If they are dependent on the FBI and the FBI isn't obligated to do it, how is it supposed to get done? Seems like a MAJOR hole in bureaucratic process...

It is a hole and FBI & ATF have argued about who is responsible for conducting NFA checks for a decade.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#38]
The part I don't understand in this explanation I why form 1 e forms are still so fast.  The same background check happens.  The difference is the form 1 is an add to the registry and a form 4 involves validation something is on the registry and transferring it to a new registrant.  Form 1s used to take the same time as form 4s and they are super fast right now
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#39]
deleted
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#40]
deleted
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#41]

seriously? you created an account to post this?
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#42]
deleted
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#43]
deleted
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#44]
deleted
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#45]
deleted
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#46]
deleted
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Y’all managed to destroy another thread by turning it into nothing but tracking info and complaints.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top