Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 9:18:53 AM EDT
So, got my trust done.  Getting ready to send in my Form 4s for 2 cans.  

Quick question:

Here is what my Trust Attorney said to mail in to the ATF.

1. The Full Trust
2. The Assignment Page (where the NFA items are assigned to the trust - lists their serial #, make, model)
3. A Cash Assignment page (where I, as trustee, assigned to the trust the amount of cash needed to pay the dealer for the NFA items)
4. Two original double sided ATF form 4’s (5320.4) completed and signed
5. Check for the tax ($400) for 2 cans

Questions is:  
1.  When I mail in the "FULL Trust" - I am assuming I am mailing the original trust documents that  has been witnessed/notarized?  
2.  Does the ATF send the original documents back with the stamps?
3.  Can I just print new copies and have them notarized and they are "official copies" of the trust that I could mail in if I wanted to apply for another stamp in the meantime? or show if for some reason I had to have paperwork showing the trust?

Thanks

ETA:  Thanks for the replies all.  Good advice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Do not send your original you will not get it back.  Just send photocopies.  The copies do not need to be notarized.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]
NO!!! DO NOT MAIL ORIGINALS!!!

Send copies ONLY.  If you mail your original trust you'll never see it again.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Have your orginal nototized, and then make copies of that to use.

While you're at it, once notiorized, scan it as a PDF and have it ready in case you wish to efile your forms, either now or later.

Ask your dealer if he does e-forms, as it will save 3-5 months on the wait.

Also, my dealer recommends filling out the stupid Certifcate of Compliance docuement and include that as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have your orginal nototized, and then make copies of that to use.

While you're at it, once notiorized, scan it as a PDF and have it ready in case you wish to efile your forms, either now or later.

Ask your dealer if he does e-forms, as it will save 3-5 months on the wait.

Also, my dealer recommends filling out the stupid Certifcate of Compliance docuement and include that as well.
View Quote

And this . If the examiner doesn't need it they can throw it away.  I always look at it as one less thing they can kick form back for.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The cash assignment page isn't necessary.  I'm not convinced that the assignment page for the NFA item itself is necessary either (it's legally pointless), but the lawyer I got my trust from (Goldman) recommends it and says ATF will kick back the form if it isn't included.  As stated, never send in the originals.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought only dealers filled out form 4s, you give them the info and they submit it. Form 1 however can be filled out by an individual or a trust.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I thought only dealers filled out form 4s, you give them the info and they submit it. Form 1 however can be filled out by an individual or a trust.
View Quote
Form 1 can't be filled out by individual.  Must be trust or other legal entity...

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Form 1 can't be filled out by individual.  Must be trust or other legal entity...  
View Quote

Of course they can, they just can't be e-filed--but nobody (except 1stID) is talking about e-filing here.  As to the (paper) Form 4, they're legally considered to be filed by the transferor, but it seems to be common practice that the dealer will give the customer the Form 4 copies filled out with the transferor and item information, and leave it up to the customer to fill out the transferee information, the back of the form, get CLEO signature, prints, and photos, and drop the whole thing in the mail.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Of course they can, they just can't be e-filed--but nobody (except 1stID) is talking about e-filing here.  As to the (paper) Form 4, they're legally considered to be filed by the transferor, but it seems to be common practice that the dealer will give the customer the Form 4 copies filled out with the transferor and item information, and leave it up to the customer to fill out the transferee information, the back of the form, get CLEO signature, prints, and photos, and drop the whole thing in the mail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol, I figured if a trust was involved, then any sensible person would be efiling...  tl:dr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top