Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2012 12:31:24 PM EDT
Ive got a few cans for my trust and was wondering on usage by trustees.

A family friend from neighboring MN who comes to SD to hunt a few times a year was inquiring if he could be a trustee and use my can while in the state.

I was curious if this was legal and if so what would be required other than naming him in the trust?

Just inquiring
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to go if he is listed as a trustee.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, all you have to do is make him a trustee.

Beware, though, trustees have individual rights to every item in the trust (i.e. sell, transfer, trade, etc.).

I've got one non-family member as a trustee in my trust.  This guy's like a brother to me and I'd trust him with my life and with my wife.  And I'm also a trustee of his trust (and he's got a lot more NFA than I do!).

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yep, all you have to do is make him a trustee.

Beware, though, trustees have individual rights to every item in the trust (i.e. sell, transfer, trade, etc.).

I've got one non-family member as a trustee in my trust.  This guy's like a brother to me and I'd trust him with my life and with my wife.  And I'm also a trustee of his trust (and he's got a lot more NFA than I do!).

It depends on how the trust is written.  On my trust, I am the only one who can dispose or transfer any items.  The only way that changes is if I change the trust, become a prohibited person, or die.  But like the others have said, as long as he is included in the trust or an amendment to the trust as a co trustee, he is good to go to have the items.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Their are some fed requirements when you take a NFA device across state lines for civ NFA.  A form has to be sent to ATFE .  check the ATFE website.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Their are some fed requirements when you take a NFA device across state lines for civ NFA.  A form has to be sent to ATFE .  check the ATFE website.

Not for cans.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

May not have been clear but cans will stay in my home state and not cross any lines.  He as an individual will travel accross state lines and use them when he is here before heading home where they are prohibited.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top