Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 9:38:06 AM EDT
Ok, this is kind of a strange question.  I know someone who had a friend who recently passed away.  This friend had several NFA items but apparently didn't do a good job of making provisions for their disposal after his death.  The deceased person's sole heir is his son, who has a felony record and is prohibited from possessing firearms.  I'm not 100% sure how accurate the facts are, but that's how it was told to me.

What's going to happen to the NFA items?  Is there any way the son can transfer the items to someone who can legally own them, so they don't get confiscated?  I would hate to see them taken by the ATF and melted down.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok, this is kind of a strange question.  I know someone who had a friend who recently passed away.  This friend had several NFA items but apparently didn't do a good job of making provisions for their disposal after his death.  The deceased person's sole heir is his son, who has a felony record and is prohibited from possessing firearms.  I'm not 100% sure how accurate the facts are, but that's how it was told to me.

What's going to happen to the NFA items?  Is there any way the son can transfer the items to someone who can legally own them, so they don't get confiscated?  I would hate to see them taken by the ATF and melted down.

Sure.  The estate can transfer them on a Form 4 to anyone they choose.  If the son were eligible to possess them, they'd transfer on a Form 5.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
And that includes an outright sale to a total stranger so Sonny Boy can get the value of the guns instead of the guns themselves.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, that's a relief to hear.  I don't know the heir in question but regardless of his status I'm glad to hear the guns won't need to be surrendered.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks, that's a relief to hear.  I don't know the heir in question but regardless of his status I'm glad to hear the guns won't need to be surrendered.

Well, as long as the wife/son/heir doesn't call the ATF and tell them to come and pick them up. They will be happy to do so, and melt them down after picking them up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, as long as the wife/son/heir doesn't call the ATF and tell them to come and pick them up. They will be happy to do so, and melt them down after picking them up.

Not too worried about that.  From what I understand the son needs the money and understands he has some valuable items on his hands.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not too worried about that.  From what I understand the son needs the money and understands he has some valuable items on his hands.

Then good luck.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:29:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just dont let them put them on a Form 10. Thats bad news. Form 10 weapons stays on Form 10s forever!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top