Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2010 4:32:51 PM EDT

I think Im good to go on this but Im not 100% sure..

Should I write my name on the line  "of residence of __________ " ?

Yes, I'll get my passport pic(s) attached to it, and Im mailing 2x Form 1's, 2 fingerprint cards and 2 certifications of compliance
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Um, is this a joke or will the BATF accept that?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF, Your Chief is an idiot. I would have wadded this up and thanked him for nothing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Screw him... Time to go the trust route
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
WTF, Your Chief is an idiot. I would have wadded this up and thanked him for nothing.

This.  Should have told him to go fuck himself.  I highly doubt you can send that in.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I edited the "Executive Officer, Public Information Officers" info but he signed it...on the other copy I have he put "responding for the chief of police" and if he is signing on delegated authority for the CLEO that should be okay right?

I dont think that this guy undstands that he is neither approving or denying the form, that, that decision is made by the ATF.

I tried pursuing the trust route earlier this year but I kept getting pawned off from one lawyer to the next...and I couldnt get a straight price from anyone.

I presume the ATF doesnt refund your $200 if they deny your app
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I presume the ATF doesnt refund your $200 if they deny your app

Incorrect. If your app is denied the DO refund your money.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#7]
A guy here in Tennessee (a real idiot) applied through his local pd and the sheriff signed his paperwork but crossed out a section. This will not be approved. If anything is marked out ATF will turn it down is what I have been told.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

A guy here in Tennessee (a real idiot) applied through his local pd and the sheriff signed his paperwork but crossed out a section. This will not be approved. If anything is marked out ATF will turn it down is what I have been told.

Thanks, I am going to print off 2 more copies and drop them back off at the PD tomorrow

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you not sign it before you sent it in? I can't tell from what is going on in that mess. I see the sig line, and its written over.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Did you not sign it before you sent it in? I can't tell from what is going on in that mess. I see the sig line, and its written over.

I was trying to censor it...oh well

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
OP is full retard? hmm.. time to move.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I edited the "Executive Officer, Public Information Officers" info but he signed it...on the other copy I have he put "responding for the chief of police" and if he is signing on delegated authority for the CLEO that should be okay right?

I dont think that this guy undstands that he is neither approving or denying the form, that, that decision is made by the ATF.

I really dont want to send this in and have to wait 6 months only to be told i got denied because of someones snarky comment.... Does ARFcom think this may be accepted, pending everything else is right and I put my name where they forgot too?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I really doubt ATF will accept it. FWIW.

Okay..now when I drop 2 more copies of this form 1 off, again, I am going to have to explain why.

Something along the lines of "because part of the application was marked out its unlikely the ATF will approve this".  Is it worth adding "Its my understanding your signature is a confirmation that Short barrel rifles are legal to own in my locality and state with an ATF approved F1". At least thats my interpretation of the CLEO role in this whole process and nothing more.

The fact that I included all of my contact information, SSN, DOB, drivers license number, etc when I dropped this form off at records and administration should have been sufficient for them to handle this.

I am not happy about having to go by the police dept for the 3rd time in one week.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
My advice is to go to the Johnson County sheriffs office. They know what they are doing with NFA forms and are more than happy to sign off. They have done mine while I wait plus while your there you can get your finger prints. Cards done. PM me and I will tell you who to ask for. I'm not sure he would want his name on the net.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:08:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Did you just censor out your name? That's what I was getting at. Sorry. I couldn't tell if you just gave them the blank form, and that is why they did that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#18]
We're both in Overland Park I see.

Go to Sheriff Denning.  Ask for Sergeant Noelker.  He will sign your Form the correct way.  I have had 2 correct Form 4s with JoCo Sheriff.

They also fingerprint you for free.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Should I write my name on the line  "of residence of __________ " ?

Yes, under it says (name of maker).

And FWIW, the newest Form 1 section 13 has  two signature blocks, first one is for the CLEO, second is for anyone delegated to sign off for CLEO.

Also the second signature block has this before it
By (if delgated authority to sign for the chief law enforcement official):

In my county the Chief Deputy Sheriff is delgated to sign off on the forms.  So i fill out the information for the Sheriff (CLEO) in the first signature block, than I fill out his information in the second signature block, and use sticky notes saying sign here and date here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I am pretty sure that will pass.  The scond section is filled out and signed.  So that guy states he is authorized to sign on behalf of the chief, and he signed it.

He ovbiouslly may have ment to dissaprove it, but in reality, he approved it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

While a Trust would work - it's not the best option for the OP.  Overland Park, KS is right on the state line next to Missouri.  If the OP wants to shoot his gun in MO, he will need some kind of FFL.  A C&R FFL works just fine (even for non-C&R guns) but ATF will not issue an FFL to a trust.  

I know a few people in KS who couldn't shoot in MO for this reason.  

Individual or corporate is the only way to go in MO.  And living that close to the state line, it's something for the OP to consider.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While a Trust would work - it's not the best option for the OP.  Overland Park, KS is right on the state line next to Missouri.  If the OP wants to shoot his gun in MO, he will need some kind of FFL.  A C&R FFL works just fine (even for non-C&R guns) but ATF will not issue an FFL to a trust.  

I know a few people in KS who couldn't shoot in MO for this reason.  

Individual or corporate is the only way to go in MO.  And living that close to the state line, it's something for the OP to consider.

That was a tough decision for me as well.

I have 2 complete NFA transfers that were individual.  I'm going the trust route from now on.  It's just not worth it to worry about shooting in MO.  Besides, NFA stuff is no longer welcome at the two DNR ranges I shot at anyways AFAIK.  Those being Golden Valley and Pigeon Hill.

MO will need to do away with that stupid requirement.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#23]
YIKES!!
DOnt send that in
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes- there is a good chance that will get rejected. I notice that this clown signed for the Chief of police. I assume you are trying your city police. I would recomend you try going to the Sheriff of your county- Johnson I believe. He can sign it also and BATFE will accept his. I live in the city of Ft. Lauderdale and I always get the Sheriff of Broard County to sign and he does so willingly. Try that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Go to Sheriff Denning. Ask for Sergeant Noelker. He will sign your Form the correct way. I have had 2 correct Form 4s with JoCo Sheriff.

Will Do

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Did you include a copy of the instruction sheet?  Most CLEOs rarely, if ever, see NFA forms. I highlight the relevant portion of the instruction sheet, type the CLEO's name, address, etc on the form and put a '<- sign here' sticky so it is 100% clear where to put his mark. My cover letter also includes my number so he can call if he has any questions.

I would schedule a meeting with the Chief, bring a fresh copy of the form & the voided copy and explain how his XO bungled it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to Sheriff Denning. Ask for Sergeant Noelker. He will sign your Form the correct way. I have had 2 correct Form 4s with JoCo Sheriff.

Will Do

They're on the first floor of the Johnson County courthouse in Olathe.  When you pick up the phone to call for access just say you're there for NFA fingerprints.  The nice lady who does all the fingerprinting is great and handles it from there.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#28]
. .
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't throw that form away! Keep it in a file somewhere. While you can't send it in, you might want it later on in the future.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will Do

They're on the first floor of the Johnson County courthouse in Olathe. When you pick up the phone to call for access just say you're there for NFA fingerprints. The nice lady who does all the fingerprinting is great and handles it from there.

WOOT! Got another Form 1 signed today...this time without the extraneous comment
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will Do

They're on the first floor of the Johnson County courthouse in Olathe. When you pick up the phone to call for access just say you're there for NFA fingerprints. The nice lady who does all the fingerprinting is great and handles it from there.

WOOT! Got another Form 1 signed today...this time without the extraneous comment

Glad to hear it worked out man.  The JCSO is a bunch of professional dudes and ladies.

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will Do

Glad to hear it worked out man. The JCSO is a bunch of professional dudes and ladies.

Hey Thanks Man for the heads up...I really appreciate it

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top