Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2010 9:35:35 AM EDT
is it $5 or $200 to make a AOW?  If its only $5, I might register my last AR pistol as one...   Don't want to SBR that one so I can take it with me anywhere w/o  hassles w/ the travel form or state laws banning SBRs, though now that AL repealed their ban it is not that big of a deal down here in the SE.

AOWs are exempt from the requirement to notify if you leave the state correct?  It would be nice to have a VFG like on all my other guns, all the handling & light position wold be the same, that type of thing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If you add it –– than you made it  - so it is the $200 stamp.

Buy it with it already in that form and it is the $5 stamp.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#2]
$200 to make, $5 to transfer.

I'd rather spend $200 for the SBR stamp, than $200 for a VG.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#3]
AOW's and suppressors are exempt.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a FFL SOT 2 make it then it is whatever they charge for the work and transfer + $5 NFA tax.  If you make it, it is $200 through a Form 1.  Suppressors and AOWs do not require notification of the ATF.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you have a FFL SOT 2 make it then it is whatever they charge for the work and transfer + $5 NFA tax.  If you make it, it is $200 through a Form 1.  Suppressors and AOWs do not require notification of the ATF.

A normal dealer that deals in class 3 items would not be a SOT 2 would he?  Could you give him you gun to do this or would it have to be something in his inventory that you sort of bought from him?  

One thing I like about the pistol is I can put it assembled, muzzle down in a large back pack & only the receiver extension is sticking out, in my case a normal rifle extension, so it is kind of low profile.  Might draw some questions but isn't obviously a gun to most people, so I definately don't want to SBR for this and a few other reasons.  I would AOW it, but if it costs $200 I probably won't bother. It just a little more comfortable really.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A normal dealer that deals in class 3 items would not be a SOT 2 would he?  Could you give him you gun to do this or would it have to be something in his inventory that you sort of bought from him?  

One thing I like about the pistol is I can put it assembled, muzzle down in a large back pack & only the receiver extension is sticking out, in my case a normal rifle extension, so it is kind of low profile.  Might draw some questions but isn't obviously a gun to most people, so I definately don't want to SBR for this and a few other reasons.  I would AOW it, but if it costs $200 I probably won't bother. It just a little more comfortable really.

you would need an 07/SOT to transform the pistol to AOW .. then to be transferred on a $5 tax Form 4 .. OR .. just pay $200 and do it yourself .. I honestly don't see the point in making an AOW as an individual .. for the same tax money you can have an SBR which can be configured any way you want.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget the engraving.  My plan is to buy the lower receiver form a local sot. Have them build the aow.  I will loan them the upper and wait for the form 4. They have agreed to do it for the price of the lower (that's their profit) and the 5 dollar stamp.  Since it's their lower, there's no engraving.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the reason for wanting an AOW AR-15?  The only thing you would gain over a (non-NFA) AR-15 pistol is a forward grip.  You can't have a shoulder stock.  I had an AR-15 pistol while I was waiting for my SBR form 1 to clear and my opinion of that configuration was not very high.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's the reason for wanting an AOW AR-15?  The only thing you would gain over a (non-NFA) AR-15 pistol is a forward grip.  You can't have a shoulder stock.  I had an AR-15 pistol while I was waiting for my SBR form 1 to clear and my opinion of that configuration was not very high.

If that question was for me....I already have a bunch of SBRs and SBSs.  Just want something different.  When you catch the disease the cure is not always obvious.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't forget the engraving.  My plan is to buy the lower receiver form a local sot. Have them build the aow.  I will loan them the upper and wait for the form 4. They have agreed to do it for the price of the lower (that's their profit) and the 5 dollar stamp.  Since it's their lower, there's no engraving.

is it possible that a local class three dealer is a SOT or is that a different license?

The reasons I would want a AOW are:
-I want a gun that is legally not a SBR
-It would be more comfy to have a VFG, especially since i don't have a butt
-I can put it in a back pack w/ the reeiver extension sticking out to where it looks like a tennis raket handle etc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Also AOW stamps have a pretty high market value to stamp collectors.  I have heard that they bring about $100 each.  I have heard of people creating 2 trusts and just transferring AOW's back and forth between the trust to get stamps to sell to make up the cost of the gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a bit of advice.  I'd seriously consider swapping out your rifle extension for a proper pistol extension.  The ATF could very easily argue that your pistol could be turned into an unregistered, thus illegal, SBR if you so much as have another AR rifle with a collapsable stock on it.  (Think about how easy it is to pull the stock body off of one extension (on your rifle) and stick it on another extension (on your pistol).)  A new, pistol, extension is a lot cheaper than a 10 year visit in Club Fed on a constructive intent beef.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A ...really.

Just a bit of advice.  I'd seriously consider swapping out your rifle extension for a proper pistol extension.  The ATF could very easily argue that your pistol could be turned into an unregistered, thus illegal, SBR if you so much as have another AR rifle with a collapsable stock on it.  (Think about how easy it is to pull the stock body off of one extension (on your rifle) and stick it on another extension (on your pistol).)  A new, pistol, extension is a lot cheaper than a 10 year visit in Club Fed on a constructive intent beef.

you can turn any round cross section receiver extension into rifle just that easy by putting an ace UL butt on it.  

I have only as many butts as I have rifles, no extras, no problems.  ATF has repedetly sent out tech letters saying you can have any type of receiver extension you want as long as you don't have any extra unallocated parts that could go on there.

The other reason I would want to keep a pistol (or AOW perhaps) is b/c I could theoretically carry the AR pistol loaded/concealed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...The reasons I would want a AOW are:..

I was just curious. I almost regret asking you why you want one, because it is a pet peeve of mine when someone asks about something and rather than getting answers to their questions they get lots of "helpful" advice about all the reasons they shouldn't want what they want.  I HATE when that happens to me, and I have posted about wanting some unpopular things like a permanently attached suppressor to avoid SBR travel restrictions.  Anyway, I just wanted to add that if an AOW is what you want, then by golly an AOW is what you oughta have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top