Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 6:09:29 AM EDT
I remember seeing a picture in an old SAR magazine of a STEN upper on an M16, which for some reason, intrigued me...

Say if I were to buy a Sten kit, trow out the fire-control parts, but keep the bolt, barrel, spring etc and build a tube that will fit an M16/AR lower using the bolt and barrel etc from the Sten, am I, by making a tube for the sten bolt/barrel/trunnion making a contraband MG?

The way I see it, without the fire control parts, there is no way the thing could run full auto, or fire by itself, so I'd be good, right?

For all intents and purposes, let's say I have SBRed and/or M16 lower on hand.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

<snip>

am I, by making a tube for the sten bolt/barrel/trunnion making a contraband MG?

I think yes.

The way I see it, without the fire control parts, there is no way the thing could run full auto, or fire by itself, so I'd be good, right?

The Sten is a open bolt gun so "theoretically" you could just retract the bolt, let it go and it would strip a round from the magazine and fire. Without the FCP's to catch(stop) the bolt it would be a runaway gun until empty.

just my .02¢

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

am I, by making a tube for the sten bolt/barrel/trunnion making a contraband MG?

I think yes.

The Sten is a open bolt gun so "theoretically" you could just retract the bolt, let it go and it would strip a round from the magazine and fire. Without the FCP's to catch(stop) the bolt it would be a runaway gun until empty.

just my .02¢

I wonder how that kit worked. Perhaps it was modified to fire closed bolt, which was what I was thinking about as well.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]

it could be done, but as you've surmised, you'd have to develop a closed-bolt method for it to operate. the ATF does not look highly on open bolt semi's.

there actually was someone who tried to get around the MG ruling many years ago by building up stens that had no FCG. it worked just like the other poster said. you'd put in a mag, pull back the CH, and let it rip - mag dump. his angle was that it didn't fit the definition of a MG (more than one shot per pull of the trigger) since it didn't have a trigger at all. ATF disagreed.

i'm sure someone who knows this stuff better will be along with the specifics.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:52:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

it could be done, but as you've surmised, you'd have to develop a closed-bolt method for it to operate. the ATF does not look highly on open bolt semi's.

there actually was someone who tried to get around the MG ruling many years ago by building up stens that had no FCG. it worked just like the other poster said. you'd put in a mag, pull back the CH, and let it rip - mag dump. his angle was that it didn't fit the definition of a MG (more than one shot per pull of the trigger) since it didn't have a trigger at all. ATF disagreed.

i'm sure someone who knows this stuff better will be along with the specifics.

Ha ha... thayt's kind of ingenius.  Too bad the ATF stifles creativity.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, if you add an "upper" that is considered a firearm by itself, to an M16 lower, the ATF say that is making a new MG. Because your upper that is not a transferable MG has been made to fire more than one shot per trigger pull. In order to do this, the upper receiver section cannot be the registered part of the firearm.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember that article.  IIRC .. the man was a Dr. with a registered M16 and built an upper for an M16 (NOT a STen tube sitting on top of a 16) .. he made radical modifications to the parts and converted the system to closed bolt.  At that point it was just a short barrelled upper for an AR/M16.  

I'll go see if I can find the article.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I remember that article.  IIRC .. the man was a Dr. with a registered M16 and built an upper for an M16 (NOT a STen tube sitting on top of a 16) .. he made radical modifications to the parts and converted the system to closed bolt.  At that point it was just a short barrelled upper for an AR/M16.  

Exactly. I've been rootin' through my pile of SARs as well...

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly. I've been rootin' through my pile of SARs as well...

I haven't gone looking yet .. but IIRC .. it had some "winter war" cover on the front of that copy

ETA: found it .. copies of the article incoming
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
vol.6 number 8 .. 2003
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks!!!

Vol 6 #8 May '03? It's a bit hard to make out...

eta...yep. found my copy as well....

(Thanks, osprey21!
)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top