Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2009 8:27:02 PM EDT
so my father-in-law busts out and old Ithica Auto and burgler 20gauge double barrel pistol!

It came from his dad after he passed away 10 years ago!!!

He HAS NO IDEA ABOUT NFA STUFF!!

So I mentioned it to him and we need to get him legit. Where do I start? is it similar to an SBR paper setup? Is he in for trouble for waiting for so long? It was originaly registered as an NFA item by his father....
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:18:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#2]
A Form 5 won't work in this case. From the OP, it appears that the gun has never been registered. Therefore, it would be contraband and subject to confiscation.

RIF
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A Form 5 won't work in this case. From the OP, it appears that the gun has never been registered. Therefore, it would be contraband and subject to confiscation.

RIF

+1 Unless you know without a doubt that it is already registered, I doubt that it is and therefore can't be made legit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#4]
No it was registered as an NFA Item by his father! So it is on the registry already, it's just that the original owner is dead, and the son now has it. Looks like a form 5 is the way to go!
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No it was registered as an NFA Item by his father! So it is on the registry already, it's just that the original owner is dead, and the son now has it. Looks like a form 5 is the way to go!

And the ATF states that it must be done in a timely manner, I'm thinking they are not going to be willing to agree to 10 years as a timely manner.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I know of estate cases in the past where they have approved of tranfers 10 years after the death of the registered owner. Not saying they will do it today, or in any particular situation, but they have done so in the past.

FWIW. YMMV.

I can attest to this happening but that was also some time ago and, as Tony said, who's to say what ATF may do given this particular situation.

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Auto Burglar from a gentleman near my home that was amnesty registered in the 30's. He inherited it and never transferred it into his name. I simply filled out the F4 and transferred it to me, I also included a death certificate of the father who was looooong dead. They never said a word and approved it in less than a month.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Kinda wish it was a M16 dont you?..................................................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top