Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 7:08:28 PM EDT
So i noticed there are threaded handgun barrels in the NFA section on the EE...

I get that people cans may be looking for a threaded barrel and so that's a good place to list them.

But it made me wonder if there is a legal issue with buying/owning/installing a threaded barrel into, say, my G30 or my 1911.  

Is that totally cool to do w/o a stamp?

thanks in advance, Benji  (in Oregon)  
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
But it made me wonder if there is a legal issue with buying/owning/installing a threaded barrel into, say, my G30 or my 1911.

Nope, no issues.  They are perfectly legal to purchase and install.  You only need a NFA stamp for the suppressor.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
California has some law prohibiting pistols with threaded barrels. I know HK makes a plain muzzle barrel for the MK23 to sell there.

Don't know about any other states.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I figured i was good to go, it just caught me off guard to find a threaded barrel by itself in the NFA section.  If it was a package deal with a can it woulda made more sense.

thanx, Benji  
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]
kc3 brings up a good point that I forgot to mention:  Make sure there are no restrictions regarding state law where you live.

There are no Federal/NFA issues with a threaded barrel, but be sure and check with your state laws.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I almost sold a pistol to a guy with a threaded barrel. He took my good word about
it and gave me cash, site unseen. Then when I brought it to him after a couple of days
he demanded his money back because I didn't tell him that it was an "illegal weapon."

"Why is it illegal?"

"That screw-on barrel is for silencers, and the only thing
those are for is assassins. Now if you just give me my
money back, I'll pretend you never showed me that thing."

"The fuck? Hey, no problem! Good luck with all that."
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Hanguns with threaded barrels are sold all day long at the local fun shows in Portland.  I know that's a terrible standard for establishing legality, but they wouldn't be doing it if it was illegal, right???

Where's the best place to find my state's laws on the subject?

Thanks, B.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Where's the best place to find my state's laws on the subject?

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top