Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 7:45:49 AM EDT
Worthless maybe a little harsh, but it must devalue it?

I just picked up a GSG-5PK yesterday. I'm thinking about sending in the Form 1 today (already have it filled out, ready to go). However, with the state of the economy, I like to have my assets somewhat liquid. Lately, firearms are perfect for that. There isn't a gun out there that given the right price, wouldn't sell in a day or two.

So I have $600 into the pistol, $200 tax stamp, and another couple hundred in accessories (new rilfe stock, etc). Maybe a grand total, all said and done. A year down the road, i lose my job, will I be able to sell the SBR for anywhere near that? It'll be a used .22LR SBR that would require at least one transfer tax (does out of state require two transfer taxes?)

I don't know, maybe I shouldn't be thinking of this gun as an investment? It's a .22LR plinker... But, if I keep it as-is, i'll be able to sell it easier(buyer doesn't have to pay tax) and for the same price as the SBR would go for.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Not many people want to buy a firearm that has some random guys name and city/state engraved on it.   Once you Form 1 something, plan on keeping it forever.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree there are plenty of guns to sell that arn't SBRs.  If you build one expect to keep it and not sell it off the first time you need a little extra cash as there are other guns for that if you want to sell something.  You figure the 200 dollar tax is gone right off the bat and if you want to replace the gun it is another form, 4 month wait and 200 bucks.  SBRs are so easy to make right now someone is better off just making their own over buying someons used SBR with their info engraved on it.  If it would have eliminated the paperwork, long wait or tax many they would but when it is the same trouble to buy one or build one most will just build one.  Like was stated earlier the only way its gonna hold the value or go up in value is if they make them like the machine guns where no more can be made.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not many people want to buy a firearm that has some random guys name and city/state engraved on it.   Once you Form 1 something, plan on keeping it forever.

Maybe it's just me, but if I found a $400 $600 SBR'd GSG5 (as in the example above),
I wouldn't give a damn if there were unicorns engraved into it! That's a deal to me.

ETA: Okay, but still.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe he was talking about a 400 dollar loss on the gun so a 600 dollar gun.  An SBR is just a poor investment if you want to keep them liquid and able to be turned to cash quick.  The 200 buck tax is a loss right off the bat.  It is also alot harder to sell a used SBR when they are so easy to make on your own and have your own info put on it.  It also severely limits the buyers out there and where you can sell it since you cant just sell it at the local gun show, over the internet or FTF without the paperwork and wait so the number of willing buyers goes way down
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I believe he was talking about a 400 dollar loss on the gun so a 600 dollar gun.  An SBR is just a poor investment if you want to keep them liquid and able to be turned to cash quick.  The 200 buck tax is a loss right off the bat.  It is also alot harder to sell a used SBR when they are so easy to make on your own and have your own info put on it.  It also severely limits the buyers out there and where you can sell it since you cant just sell it at the local gun show, over the internet or FTF without the paperwork and wait so the number of willing buyers goes way down

Yep, thats exactly my thoughts. Thanks for confirming them.

Now... Do I pull the trigger and mail in the Form 1? I already have an A2 stock on order, and about to pull the trigger on the UMP folder... (no worries, i'll just stash them at a buddy's house).

On a side note; if I purchase the rifle version, I can have an unlimited amount of stocks on hand, right? ie; I won't get hung up on "intent to build" charges if I have both version of the GSG?

Thanks
-ska-
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it's just me, but if I found a $400 $600 SBR'd GSG5 (as in the example above),
I wouldn't give a damn if there were unicorns engraved into it! That's a deal to me.

Funny.

What is the most you would pay for an SBR'ed GSG-5 with someone else's name engraved on it? +200 of course.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny.

What is the most you would pay for an SBR'd GSG-5 with someone else's name engraved on it? +200 of course.

Well, around $500. If I had it to spare. Just speaking hypothetically.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top