Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2009 2:23:30 PM EDT
Hey fella's i spoke to a gun shop owner and he was saying i could not own a AOW in TX. while that was not even the discussion i was trying to have with him it did make me wonder what exactly would the shotty i want to build be classified as? Heres the specs i want to go for i would appriciate it if someone could put into laymans terms what i need to do to own it and what it would be considered.

14" barrel
Top folding stock
870 receiver

i really appriciate any info yall can give me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Texas allows almost everything....AOW, SBS, SBR, etc.,etc.   I would probably avoid going to whoever told you AOW not allowed.

your mentioned config w/ top folding stock makes it a SBS.   some others will be along & can verify / clarify this...

go to Hometown forum & look at top links for local dealers.  There are quite a few depending on where you are at.

a competent dealer can assist you with any forms.  
you will need to decide on trust or CLEO sign off.
tax stamp & be patient.... think paperwork is ~11-15 weeks now
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Texas allows everything NFA.  Getting you CLEO to sign off may be a problem depending on where you're at, but there are ways around that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
14" barrel
Top folding stock
870 receiver

Short barrel + stock. Sounds like a SBS to me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#4]
OK solo, where in TX do you live? From there we can make a few recomendations for you. :-)

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in Richmond TX, I also had a unlawful poss. of a firearm (forgot i had the damn gun on the seat and it fell down between the seats got stopped and was asked if they could run a drug dog around my truck, i thought nothing of it said yes and viola.) and a DUI. this was all over 3 years ago. no excuse there just a stupid mistake. Would that stop me from being able to do this?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#6]
knew something was missing from op

i would say with that bit of info you are prolly out of luck
you will need to do some research though

3 yrs ago wont matter much - that stuff stays with you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are not otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm, you're more than likely OK to own an NFA item.

And, technically speaking, SBR/SBS, Machine guns, silencers, DD are Illegal in Texas. Though, it is a "defense to prosection" that the device in question is legally registered under NFA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top