Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2009 8:45:31 AM EDT
what is the legal way about getting a lower registered in your name without knowing who it is previously is registered to ?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#2]
it was originally purchased in the early 80's by a police officer who has passed away and his brother wound up with the rifle so he says and wants to get rid of it legally
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless the paper work was done way back then I think your SOL
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
it was originally purchased in the early 80's by a police officer who has passed away and his brother wound up with the rifle so he says and wants to get rid of it legally

lawyer up.

If there hasn't been a large amount of time, it's possible it coudl be legally transferred.

But if it's been sitting in a closet for years, i don't know.

I'd talk to a lawyer that's well versed in NFA and firearm law. There's always a possibility. If you call ATF direct, they'll probably want it surrendered. If you're lucky they won't try to prosecute. Your odds are far better with a lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top