Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2008 4:46:37 AM EDT
....or should I just buy the 10.5 upper? Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe if you chopped a 16" barrel you would also have to resize the gas port.  With all the labor involved versus the factory 10.5 I would go with the factory.  Not to mention if it does not run you can ship it back to LMT.  A chop job would not allow that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
....or should I just buy the 10.5 upper? Thanks!

If you are planning on using a supressor, having the 16" cut down and threaded to be concentric with the bore by a competent smith would avoid the possibility of bad factory threads. This will help minimize POI shift and help reduce possibility of baffle strikes.

There have been more than a few LMT barrels out there with muzzle threads that were not adequately concentric to the bore. They're close enough for use with an A2 FH, but people have had problems when using cans.

Just something to consider.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top