Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2008 3:32:22 PM EDT
I'm not trying to get all tinfoil here, but as I was walking to my car after being fingerprinted for my 10/22 sear, I was thinking about ID methods.

I have been fingerprinted about 4 times, one for CCL and 3 Form 4s. So far, no one has my iris or retina on file. When I heard about Fly Clear, I was excited until I realized they are using iris scans as the ID method. Something about it crosses the line for me.

Just for discussion's sake, would you have any qualms about iris or retina scans if they meant continuing to own Title 2 weapons?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]

I figure finger prints would be sufficient. I don't like the idea of iris scanning.... That would give them leverage to say that iris scanning wasn't effective and microchips need to be implanted. Do you see my logic?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Most people do not leave their iris scan results lying around crime scenes.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't tell you how many times I've been fingerprinted.  Most recently it was for my CHL, but most of the time my prints were taken for security clearances.  The idea is certainly NOT to verify that you are who you say you are, but rather to see if someone with your prints was involved in "bad" things.  As pointed out above, fingerprints are forensic evidence.

As for iris scanning not standing up well enough, so as to give anyone leverage to say "you need a chip because iris scanning can be fooled," before it's used formally and extensively, that sort of issue has to be laid to rest.  Irises are at least as unique as fingerprints, but there is to date no formalized and universally recognized method of collecting iris scans and comparing them-everything today is proprietary.  Before accepting iris scanning as valid ID, the technology would have to be 100% accepted as completely foolproof, at least as valid as fingerprints.  That won't happen for a while, and when (not if) it does, the issue of microchips will NOT be a factor.

Side note: what about when you're 85 and have Alzheimers?  Chips to help identify people with Alzheimers are in use right now and are actually saving lives.  Not all of these technologies are the stuff of "black" agencies you know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top