Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2008 6:43:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Any pistol with a second vertical grip is an AOW.

$200 for an individual to make a AOW, but a $5 transfer tax.
See if you can find a SOT to make your AOW tax free, then you only have to pay $5 transfer (plus thh SOT's fees)
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

See if you can find a SOT to make your AOW tax free, then you only have to pay $5 transfer (plus thh SOT's fees)

Can give my SOT my 870, a 14" barrel, and a pistol grip, have him piece it together, and engrave his info on the receiver, then transfer it to me on a $5 stamp instead of a $200?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:38:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can give my SOT my 870, a 14" barrel, and a pistol grip, have him piece it together, and engrave his info on the receiver, then transfer it to me on a $5 stamp instead of a $200?

Couple things you have to do.  YOu have to supply him with an 870 that came factory-equipped as a PG-only shotgun.  YOu can't use a regular stocked 870 and make an AOW out of it.  YOu also can't possess the 14" barrel before you have an approved Form 1 or Form 4.

So, if you gave your SOT a PG-only shotgun, he could cut down the barrel to 14", or you could maybe order a 14" barrel and have it sent to the SOT (make extra sure they don't mess up the shipping and send it to the billing address for the CC, bad ju-ju).  He would install the 14" barrel, engrave his manufacturing info on it, register it on a Form 2 tax free and can then Form 4 it back to you.  He can even Form 4 it back to you if he is an out-of-state SOT, no need for an instate dealer to do the Form 4.  As long as he charges you less than $195, you are ahead of the game versus Form 1'ing it yourself for $200 and paying for your own engraving.

My SOT required me to ship him the PG-only shotgun in the original box with the label showing that it was a factory PG-only shotgun, model #24823.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was some explanation below, but also keep in mind it needs to be an 07/02 SOT, one who can manufacture on a FORM2.   A typical SOT is just a dealer, and they'd have to do it on a FORM1 and spend $200 to do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top