Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2008 5:47:41 PM EDT
Looking into getting my first full auto and the Ruger AC556 inteest me.  Anyone have some experience with them?  I know that aftermarket mags ahave a bad rep in Mini-14's and figure it would be even worse in F/A mode.  Who makes decent mags for the Mini/AC?  I've also heard that a bonus is that Ruger will still service them if anything goes wrong and that thier prices are very reasonable.  I'd like an M16, but the Ruge seems to be a couple grand cheaper and that, along with a little more saving could net me a full auto .223 and a subgun of some variety a little later on.

thanks for any insights,
Doug K
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Ruger AC556K and I love it.  Feed it factory Ruger 30 or 20 round mags and it will run perfect for you.  Sometimes the PMIs and thermolds work well too but the Ruger factory mags are flawless.

As I said its an OUTSTANDING gun and Ruger will service it as long as you have not done anything to it to alter its original factory configuration such as cutting the barrel down or making some kind of alteration to the gun.  Ruger is great to work with and they stand behind their ACs for sure.

I love my AC.  They are a great investment and NFA MG.

Would not trade it for anything.  Well maybe an M60.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The AC-556 was my first MG. It was that or a new 4 wheeler. That is my excuse for every MG though!

Really I havent tried any magazine but a factory mag. Being the gun is 7.5k a 100$ 30 round factory magazine shouldnt be a heavy burden. 20 round mags just look funny anyway. There is a beta mag for it, but the 100 round capacity is about its firing limit before you let it cool.

They will service them until Jesus comes back, is my understanding. It will cost you a few bucks to have it rebuilt and reblued. Mine was is rough shape but SRC restored it to NIB condition. I forget the cost at the moment. If you ever come across a parts kit buy it. You will have to buy and demill a postban. The post bans dont tote the 4 digit price tag.

I am sure SRC is just going to convert it back to its original configuration if the barrel is shortened or whatever mods were done.

I am debating cutting my barrel to 14.5 inches, and mounting the flash hider right ahead of the front sight/bayonet lug. It would be slightly longer that the ac556k. The value would drop I know. However it would compliment the folding stock well and look mean with a chopped handle/SBR bayonet. That long barrel just doesnt look right IMO. Also has the noodle effect when hot, that is another reason to chop it. The smart thing to do would be leave it alone. I even have a nifty gas block with a sling stud welded to the side......

DO NOT install any form of extended magazine release. I made this attempt 3 different times and they failed everytime.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

thanks for any insights,
Doug K

Greetings from one Doug K. to another!  

Good luck with your purchase, I'm working on my first as well.

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 3:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
One other question on the AC556's.  Are the barrels threaded?  I know it's got a flash hider, but is that pinned on or screwed.  If threaded, a supressor might be another option as well.

Thanks,
Doug K
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes they are threaded from the factory.

You can unscrew the factory suppressor and put on what you want.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Are the barrels threaded?
Yes - 9/16x24

Suppressor adapters are available from TROS USA.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#8]
As for mags, probably not going to believe this but…long story short I’ve been using Ramline Mini-14/AR15 30 round mags for close to a year with no problems what so ever.  Had them setting around and figured what the hell if they work great if not I’m not nothing...those things just keep on running, semi, burst, mag dump…doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:21:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Where is the rumor coming fromt hat ruger is running out of ac-556 parts. They can make any part they want. I asked myself, and was told they will fix them forever.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looking into getting my first full auto and the Ruger AC556 inteest me.  Anyone have some experience with them?  I know that aftermarket mags ahave a bad rep in Mini-14's and figure it would be even worse in F/A mode.  Who makes decent mags for the Mini/AC?  I've also heard that a bonus is that Ruger will still service them if anything goes wrong and that thier prices are very reasonable.  I'd like an M16, but the Ruge seems to be a couple grand cheaper and that, along with a little more saving could net me a full auto .223 and a subgun of some variety a little later on.

thanks for any insights,
Doug K

I've got one of those fine AC556's.  Its a great weapon.  But I have tried 4-5 non Ruger mags with NO success.  Factory Mags (Even though they cost a bunch) are the way to go.  

As far as Ruger parts go, A close friend of mine just got his back from Ruger - Its like new and I'm thinking about sending mine back.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Where is the rumor coming fromt hat ruger is running out of ac-556 parts. They can make any part they want. I asked myself, and was told they will fix them forever.

I sent mine in about two weeks ago after talking with Ruger.  I wanted to just send the barreled receiver & have them replace everything but the receiver.  They told me I had to send the stock (full size) because they didn't have any and would need have it to test fire the gun before returning it to me.  So I know they don't have the full size wood stocks
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#12]
A big plus for the AC556 is that the Ciener .22 conversion runs 100% out of box (no tweaking and polishing like on the M16).  With the price of 223, that is a big factor.

And if you do go for it, track down all the Ruger factory 30rd mags you can as they've been drying up for a while.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the input guys!  I've actually got a 13" folder on teh way.  waiting for it ti transfer to my dealer then  the long wait begins!  At least I'll be able to go fondle it once it gets in-state!  I plan on gettign a Ciener for it to save some money and be able to play with it more!  I'm already looking at mags, but screwed around and everywhere I was looking at before has sold out since the election!  I've got a handfull of unknown pedigree mags, so hopefully with some fiddling I can make them work.  I'm thinking about buying a few of the factory 20 rounders now that ruger has dropped prices on them.  20's can't be as much fun on full auto as 30's but I may be stuck!

Thanks again and keep on with the helpful hints!

Doug K
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The AC-556 was my first MG.

Mine too, paid $1200 for it from Bill Fleming back in 1992. I never had any issues using USA 30-rd stainless magazines. I regret selling it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Ruger has my shorty AC556K right now for a tune up.

they do not have any more factory folding stocks and are starting to run low on some parts.  I would not worry about it too much.  They will replace bad parts.... period.  that is what the woman at Ruger told me prior to me sending it up.

they will return the gun in the exact factory configuration it was made with other than a new folding stock.

Rob
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess I just got lucky.  I have probably around 60 or more mags and not one is a factory magazine.  I have 4-5 of the plastic thermomolded ones and they work great!  All of the others are the cheapest I could find at places like sportsmansguide.com and such.   Some needed a tiny bit of dremel work on the front just above the little hole but other than that, all run great.  I would stay away from 40 rounders, I have not had luck with them.  I actually have a 50 round magazine I picked up somewhere that will not run in my gun but I have a buddy in Houston who's ac556 loves it.  

Don't believe the hype.  Like I say, .30-.40% of my mags needed about 30 seconds worth of dremel on the front to make it up to the feed ramp, but that's great considering they were $10-$15+-.  

REALLY COOL AC-556 WEBSITE I JUST HAPPENED TO HAVE HEARD OF... :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top