Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 12:42:12 PM EDT
Hi All - does anyone know exactly what needs to be engraved on a SBR that is held by a trust?  My understanding is that if an individual owns an SBR, the lower receiver needs to be engraved with the owner's name, city & state.  

What do you engrave when the SBR is held in a trust?  The name of the trust?  The name of the trustee?  Both?  

Help!

Thanks!!!!

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Name of trust, location.  Couple threads on this lately if you want more info.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#2]
alright, so if my trust is named "the r... b..... firearms trust", would this work?

r.... b.....
firearms trust
boca raton, fl
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks like mine. Simple and easy had it done by Orion Arms. Two week turn around.

Link Posted: 7/31/2008 3:36:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 6:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine says
Dustin Gaunder Trust
City, State

I got it done at a local trophy shop.  They did a fantastic job, it only took 20 minutes, and no shipping and waiting was involved.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Orion did a great job with my engravings.  They are great people to work with.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you abbreviate the name of the trust?  I was an idiot and used my full name and my wife's full name for the trust so it looks something like this:

Thomas Anthony Fletcher and Jessica Mary Fletcher Revocable Living Trust
Tampa, FL

That is a lot more than I wanted to engrave on my firearm.

Can I use our initials instead for something like this:

TAF and JMF Trust
Tampa, FL

Thanks

Edit to add - Nevermind, I just found this thread
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=248032 that address the question.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 4:13:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can you abbreviate the name of the trust?  I was an idiot and used my full name and my wife's full name for the trust so it looks something like this:

Tampa, FL

TAF and JMF Trust
Tampa, FL

Thanks

The whole point of the legal requirement to engrave the maker's info is to match up the firearm with the maker, particularly if the firearm is ever recovered at a crime scene or after a theft. Initials are meaningless; a last name at least gives LE a place to start researching and tracing. Thus, I believe the last name should be engraved to fulfill BATFE regulations.

So in your case, I would engrave:

TA & JM Fletcher Trust
Tampa FL

You might even get by with:

Fletcher Trust
Tampa FL

Note that periods, commas, etc. are not needed, unless removing them makes the wording difficult to understand or changes the meaning.

While I'm new at this, I'm going to somewhat disagree. My lower is stamped...

XXX RLT
City State

"XXX" is my initials but is also exactly how I titled my trust. That is also exactly how I listed it on the Form1, both in field 3b and 4h. My form1 got approved with no problem so apparently they don't have an issue with it but maybe the difference here is that this is the "title" or name of my trust?
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tampa, FL

TAF and JMF Trust
Tampa, FL

Thanks

The whole point of the legal requirement to engrave the maker's info is to match up the firearm with the maker, particularly if the firearm is ever recovered at a crime scene or after a theft. Initials are meaningless; a last name at least gives LE a place to start researching and tracing. Thus, I believe the last name should be engraved to fulfill BATFE regulations.

So in your case, I would engrave:

TA & JM Fletcher Trust
Tampa FL

You might even get by with:

Fletcher Trust
Tampa FL

Note that periods, commas, etc. are not needed, unless removing them makes the wording difficult to understand or changes the meaning.

While I'm new at this, I'm going to somewhat disagree. My lower is stamped...

XXX RLT
City State

"XXX" is my initials but is also exactly how I titled my trust. That is also exactly how I listed it on the Form1, both in field 3b and 4h. My form1 got approved with no problem so apparently they don't have an issue with it but maybe the difference here is that this is the "title" or name of my trust?

As airgunner stated, I think that the initials/abrev. of the trust name is ok in the engraving as long as it is noted that way on the Form 1.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 5:54:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#12]
The info in this thread is priceless.

Getting my lower engraved on Wednesday!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top