Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 7:17:55 AM EDT
I am sure this has been asked before, but I could not find anything on it. I may be moving to a Class III friendly state and would like to SBR one of my ARs and possibly a MP5 clone I may pick up. The problem is the chance that after a few years I may have to move back to Illinois.

If I do so can I bring back my SBRs if I pin extended hiders on them? The MP5 clone would start out as a pistol so I would remove the stock. Or does the same rule apply to SBRs that applies to MGs? I would hate to have to sell them if I end up having to move.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]
They can be returned to normal rifles and you can send a letter to ATF advising them that they are no longer SBRs.  They will still be listed on the registry but the record will be updated to indicate they are no longer title II weapons.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#2]
What he said.

/threadover

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#4]
If i may jump in here and ask some thing.

If I have an AR lower that is a SBR lower, does it matter if i put a 16"+ upper on it or can I do anything I want?

No one gets mad if the bbl is to long on a sbr do they??? have to ask you know the atf and their rules.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If I have an AR lower that is a SBR lower, does it matter if i put a 16"+ upper on it or can I do anything I want?

No one gets mad if the bbl is to long on a sbr do they??? have to ask you know the atf and their rules.

You can put any length barrel on it you want.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Affirm, you can place a 16"+ barreled upper on your SBR & swap back & forth.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Correct.  If you want it to revert to Title I status, you have to get ATF to remove it from the registry.  Otherwise it's just an SBR with a long barrel attached, and is still subject to the NFA.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#9]
To add to that, when and if you go back to Ill., I would look at the state law.  Here our law says things that are: x,y,z, definitions are destructive devices by state law and are prohibited unless the are registered in accordance with the NFA.

So if you added a 16" barrel and came here you would not need to have it removed from teh registery not to violate state law since the conditions defining (16" Brl length0 have not been met to then go on and see if it is exempt.  

Are you following me?  So the question then is are NFA registered receivers banned by Ill. states law or are rifles with a barrel length under 16" banned by state law and how do they define that.  If you SBR with a longer barrel does not violate state law and there are no references to NFA registered weapons being banned, then there would be no need to remove it from the register to move into Ill, and then  to have to re-make it if you ever leave Ill. again.

But then again, I don't know Ill. law, you would have to look into it or seek legal counsel who would.

But all of this is only hypothetical until you leave Ill, then try to come back and we all assume that no local,state, and federal laws have changed in teh Obamanation.

Dan
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Allow me to complicate issues here.  According to the ATF themselves, an SBR is not an SBR unless it has a short barrel on it.  What say you?

NFA Handbook, Chapter 2.1.6

Of all the different firearms defined as NFA weapons, machineguns are the only type
where the receiver of the weapon by itself is an NFA firearm.

Gotta love that handbook.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Every one of these discussions makes my head hurt, and I figure without case precedent you just always preced at your own risk..
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Allow me to complicate issues here.  According to the ATF themselves, an SBR is not an SBR unless it has a short barrel on it.  What say you?

That's correct.

There is no legal description of a SBR other than the one which relies on it's physical configuration.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#15]
The examiner and the Section Chief I talked to last year both told me an SBR is an SBR as soon as they afix the tax stamp to your form1 whether it ever has an upper on it or not.  I called when I wanted to sell my semi-auto Thompson as a title1 because I had the stamp to make it an SBR for over a year and never got around to changing the barrel (sold it for more than what I paid including the cost of the wasted stamp).  So according to the two I talked to at BATFE, upper changes has nothing to do with a lower's SBR status.

MadDog
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not an expert on the legalities but I think you'd have to be nuts to throw a 16" upper on an SBR and take it anywhere that SBRs are prohibited.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's correct.

There is no legal description of a SBR other than the one which relies on it's physical configuration.

OK, but if that is the case....

Every time you swap between a 11" upper and a 16" upper, you're now subject to a new $200 "making" tax and associated paperwork.  Hell, you don't even need to put on a "long" upper; simply removing the upper at all would "negate" your SBR (no barrel equals not an SBR, remember) and require another $200 and a new Form 1 to reinstall it.

Still want to play this game?

Not to mention that this is a damn stupid thing to play the legal semantics game on, considering that it will be a virtual certainty that the Feds would prevail in court.

Nothing good comes from poking the bear.  Particularly when the bear is quite fond of chowing down on easy meals, rather than working harder to chase after actual criminals who harm other people.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:22:16 AM EDT
[#18]
It's really not worth the hassle. Don't tempt the ATF.

Just buy a non-NFA lower for your non-SBR upper if you want to go out of state, and keep your SBR lower in the safe.

A lower is a lower. No need to use your SBR lower if you don't have to...if you want that particular config in another state, you can swap the grip, stock, and (if you feel frisky) FCG to any lower in 15 minutes or so.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top