Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2008 10:20:26 PM EDT
Ive read through the SBR thread but have yet to find this information out. I'm still a student in college and I am getting ready to send in my forms to have the ATF approve them.

But my question of concern is I am currently living at school, but I am registering and building my SBR at my home(that is not school) and this question came up what is the legality of keeping my SBR here at school? I am still in the same state as registered so there is no cross state travel with it. Can I keep it at school (I'm living off campus not in the dorms) with out any problems or do I need to give the ATF a heads up?

Thanks and the SBR thread has really proven helpful.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Just curious, how far from home are you?
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ive read through the SBR thread but have yet to find this information out. I'm still a student in college and I am getting ready to send in my forms to have the ATF approve them.

But my question of concern is I am currently living at school, but I am registering and building my SBR at my home(that is not school) and this question came up what is the legality of keeping my SBR here at school? I am still in the same state as registered so there is no cross state travel with it. Can I keep it at school (I'm living off campus not in the dorms) with out any problems or do I need to give the ATF a heads up?

Thanks and the SBR thread has really proven helpful.

why would you not want to use the address at which you are living?

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I am actually only about an hour from home, and to answer the other question because I plan on moving back to where I am registering the SBR after I finish up school and get a job there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am actually only about an hour from home, and to answer the other question because I plan on moving back to where I am registering the SBR after I finish up school and get a job there.

so what? unless you are thinking about moving after you've submitted the forms, but before they've been approved, why does you moving back someday make any difference?

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so what? unless you are thinking about moving after you've submitted the forms, but before they've been approved, why does you moving back someday make any difference?

For residence purposes of the Form 1, you should use the address at which you predominantly live.  Sounds like that is the school address.  Once the Form 1 is approved, you may take the SBR anywhere in the state you wish.

FYI, your residence is free to change after the SBR registration at any time.  You are by no means locked into an address just because you listed it on the Form 1.  Sounds like you might be a bit confused there.  Your SBR would be registered to YOU, not your address.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I would use the address on my driver's license.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#7]

I know I can move anywhere with it as long as the state allows SBR's, and the reason I am registering it at my home address is because that is the best address to reach me.  I have all my mail sent there because I have moved between houses while at school from lease to lease.  And my home address is my most permanent address until I graduate.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#8]
But will there be any type of a problem keeping my SBR at school with it being registered to a different address?  I plan on making multiple copies of my form 1 so one will always be with the gun no matter what.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But will there be any type of a problem keeping my SBR at school with it being registered to a different address?  I plan on making multiple copies of my form 1 so one will always be with the gun no matter what.

No, like I said, it would be registered to YOU, not your address.  Where ever you are, your SBR can be.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:

No, like I said, it would be registered to YOU, not your address.  Where ever you are, your SBR can be.

thanks thats what I wanted to find out.  A few of us were just talking about it and that question came up and I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem with doing that.

Once again thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#11]

I know I can move anywhere with it as long as the state allows SBR's

Just making sure you know you need an approved Application to Transport Interstate when transporting to another state.

How are you planning to prevent access when you aren't at home?
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8

Just making sure you know you need an approved Application to Transport Interstate when transporting to another state.

How are you planning to prevent access when you aren't at home?

Prevent access? are you talking about locking it up and only me having access to the key to get to it?  I already have it planned out.

height=8

I know I need the application for interstate transport, I was saying I can move to another state with it as long as they allow SBR's.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in the same boat and I plan on registering my SBR with my home address since thats were my safe is and I don't have a lot of time to shoot when I at school
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top