Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2008 6:43:54 PM EDT
My first form one was approved on Dec 5th, mailed on the 6th.
I never recieved it and called Dec 26.
They mailed me a certified copy and I recieved two days later.
BUT the copy dosent have a stamp.heyHas anyone had this happen?
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a shame there isn't some way to prepay for Certified Mail, or the like, for the return paperwork.  I'd happily throw in the $5 of postage-paid envelopes with my paperwork to prevent this from happening to me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I asked after the fact, she said no, they would have to do it for everyone.
Frank
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear about it.  Small consolation, at least your certified copy covers you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#5]
yup, have heard of this. it happens.

they only have one procedure. folding the form, mailing it out, etc..

id even pay for overnight mailing.

as long as your legal , who cares.
Link Posted: 1/11/2008 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Last year, I had a Form 1 lost in the mail.  I've had neighbor's mail delivered to my box more than once & that's probably what happened & they trashed it.  I scanned the certified copy & the seal is visible.  Not as pretty as a copy with the stamp, but works just as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah that certainly stinks.

but hang in there because it very well may show up one day out of the blue.  Every once in a great while something gets lost in the mail and does not get recovered and redirected for a month or so.

As everyone else told you.....  legally you are good to go but hopefully the original stamp shows up.

Link Posted: 1/12/2008 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]
While it may be 100% legal, I'd still be pissed.  I paid $200 for a stamp, not a certified letter.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Ultimately, you paid $200 for your firearm or suppressor.  I seriously doubt you're showing off your tax stamp at the range in lieu of your firearms...

I had the same thing happen.  Got a certified copy.  Problem is, the certified copies don't photocopy for s&*%.  So when you carry copies with you, they just look like unapproved Form 1/4s...
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
worst case scenerio, Leo can make the call to W. Virginia,
and that will be that !
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
While it may be 100% legal, I'd still be pissed.  I paid $200 for a stamp, not a certified letter.  

I heard that! I'd want that $200 dollar stamp in my big greasy paws ASAP!
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ultimately, you paid $200 for your firearm or suppressor.  I seriously doubt you're showing off your tax stamp at the range in lieu of your firearms...

I had the same thing happen.  Got a certified copy.  Problem is, the certified copies don't photocopy for s&*%.  So when you carry copies with you, they just look like unapproved Form 1/4s...

No, part of what I paid for is a $200 Treasury stamp, in addition to paperwork keeping to popo happy.

If I get rid of that NFA weapon, the cancelled stamp has value.  The OP got screwed out of that value.

When the hunk of paper in question is one I'm expected to keep, in perpetuity, I want one that can actually be photocopied in a legible manner and also contains the $200 tax stamp I paid for, not a shitty certified letter that can't be verified once I copy it.

Yes, he's in the clear legally.  But he still got screwed by government incompetence.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I will agree completely with you being pissed, I would be too. But hold a little bit of hope that it might show up in the mail. Four years ago I was deployed to Kyrgistan in support of OEF, while I was there my Grandmother died. Two years later I was to Baghdad, for OIF and I received a letter from her. Kind of freaky when you think about it, but the postal system will surprise you every now and then, I mean it was two years later and I was in a completely diferent country, I had not even given a forwarding address when I left Kirgystan. But I did get my letter. Maybe you will too
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Its my understanding that those stamps have a value to the stamp collecting community, I would demand my stamp since I paid for it! Would you accept a copy of a product you ordered from someone and it got lost in the mail!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Its my understanding that those stamps have a value to the stamp collecting community, I would demand my stamp since I paid for it! Would you accept a copy of a product you ordered from someone and it got lost in the mail!

Demand all you want but you are not dealing with a Wal-Mart return service desk but Uncle Sam. The stamp in and of itself is not a consumer good. The stamp and attached form signifies a "TAX PAID" and approval for the NFA item. Uncle Sam did what was right and sent a certified copy.

Shit happens! There is better causes to crucify yourself over than a lost tax stamp that may have $5-$100 of collector value, if that.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I don"t feel like I was screwed cause ,I can play with my toys and not go to jail with or without the stamp as long as I have my paperwork. Yes it would be nice to have but all I want is to be legal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#18]
cancelled stamp ? what the heck is that ?

now your telling me stamps have value ? ive thought i heard it all...

stamp, no stamp...
if its legit, that's all i would care about.
and that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#19]
When waiting for the paperwork to return, how do you know when it was approved?

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I had actually forgotten to send in scheduel A of my trust and Nancy called about it, faxed in to her. Called to confirm reciept and she said it was approved. So I waited a week then called back, she was on vacation untill after christmas, called back, she mailed me a cert copy and I recieved it in 3 days. Each time I called in who ever would answer the phone was very helpful and pleasent to talk to.

Frank
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 12:53:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
When waiting for the paperwork to return, how do you know when it was approved?

Call (304) 616-4500 and have serial number at the ready.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top