Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2007 4:32:59 AM EDT
how is it that the atf notify's you that your form 4 is approved? do they send it back to you via mail or to the gunshop or what?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The dealer you're buying from will receive a copy of the approved form in the mail and contact you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:48:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The dealer you're buying from will receive a copy of the approved form in the mail and contact you.

Or, if he bought from an individual in-state the Form4 will go back to the individual which you purchased the weapon from...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:59:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or, if he bought from an individual in-state the Form4 will go back to the individual which you purchased the weapon from...

Yes, but his post implies he didn't, so I was KISS.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#4]
too bad. I came home yesterday and found a notice that I had a certified letter to pick up I was hoping they sent it back to the purchaser. now I realy wonder what that letter is. probably just some boring army junk.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
too bad. I came home yesterday and found a notice that I had a certified letter to pick up I was hoping they sent it back to the purchaser. now I realy wonder what that letter is. probably just some boring army junk.

ATF uses basic, Government Rate, First Class Mail to return you forms. They just end up in the mailbox with all your other mail, no signature required.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but his post implies he didn't, so I was KISS.

Understood
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
do they cash your check before they return the form or is it not always that way?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
do they cash your check before they return the form or is it not always that way?

The check should be cashed well before you get the form back.

Form 4's are sent directly to Atlanta, where the check is seperated for cashing, and the rest of the packet is shipped to WV for review and approval. Form 1's are sent to WV, then ATF ships them to Atlanta for cashing, and they are shipped back to WV for approval. I guess it is theoretically possible for a check to get held up somewhere, but I have never heard of it happening.

My cashed checks make their way back to me before the forms
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok let me see if I understand this correct. I purchased a AWC Raider from my local gun shop where it sits right now locked up in there safe . I mailed all of my paper work out on the 11/16/07. I will NOT get my stamp in the mail at my mailling address. The gun shop that I purchased the can from will receive it and notify me that it has come in. Then I can go down and pick it up. This is my first class 3. I have never done this before and I am not sure I understand everything.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok let me see if I understand this correct. I purchased a AWC Raider from my local gun shop where it sits right now locked up in there safe . I mailed all of my paper work out on the 11/16/07. I will NOT get my stamp in the mail at my mailling address. The gun shop that I purchased the can from will receive it and notify me that it has come in. Then I can go down and pick it up. This is my first class 3. I have never done this before and I am not sure I understand everything.

Correct.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you Magoo6541. I am really scared now  I made sence out of this . About how long is the B.A.T.F.E. taking to do the paper work, any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thank you Magoo6541. I am really scared now  I made sence out of this . About how long is the B.A.T.F.E. taking to do the paper work, any ideas?

well the shop I whent through said they have seen some paperwork come back as quick as 9 days and some take 3 months but the average is around a month and a week.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

well the shop I whent through said they have seen some paperwork come back as quick as 9 days and some take 3 months but the average is around a month and a week.

Most of mine have taken almost exactly a month.  It definitely varies based on a number of factors.  I'm just glad it doesn't take many many months like it used to.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:31:33 AM EDT
[#14]
what has changed over at atf to make it faster?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
what has changed over at atf to make it faster?

Forms go to a different branch now...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#16]
imagin that.

so my check cleared today. about how long dose it take to get stuff moved from here you figure?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#17]
For me the check clearing is one of the first steps.  The package goes in the mail and within a few business days I see the check clear the bank.  Forms are usually signed within 3 weeks and then another week or so to be handled internally and delivered by first class mail.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanx for the info m1garand__man. I'm pretty much looking at after Christmas than to get mine. At least I can go down to the gun shop and drool on it when ever I want to . I hate waiting for something I want. I got the started on this in late August.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thanx for the info m1garand__man. I'm pretty much looking at after Christmas than to get mine. At least I can go down to the gun shop and drool on it when ever I want to . I hate waiting for something I want. I got the started on this in late August.

august? what's the hold up? had it on layaway first? what is it?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#20]
No lay away. I had to wait for AWC to get the serial number so I could get the paper work going.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top