Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2007 7:04:07 AM EDT
Its been 4 1/2 weeks since I sent F4 paperwork in for my Machine Gun and I am not in the system yet.  Not even pending yet.  They cashed my check on the 9th.  I have not called up to this point but figured I would just call since its been over a month and see who my examiner was but no luck until I am at least in the system.  The lady figured it was going to be Andrew Ashton though based on the transforor's last name so with any luck that will be the case.

No big deal I just thought I would check.  I am sure with the Holiday Season they are low staffed and EXTREMELY BUSY!!!    I think I have been spoiled the last few transfers because they have been so quick... based on what they used to be years ago....  

I'll check back in a few weeks....
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#1]
My chech cleared about the same time and also still not in system, but it also seems on my last one from pending to approved was very fast so who knows.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
It has been taking 3-4 weeks (closer to 4) for the forms to get into the system after the check is cashed.

Once in the system, it is only taking about a week to go from pending to approved.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I sent a form 1 of for an AOW on 10/10 (left my mailbox that day) and it arrived back approved on 11/21.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
oh well thats good news that the pending to approval time seems to be quicker...

Believe it or not I have not even thought much about it the last month or so and I remembered it this AM and thought I would check in.

boy I hope the lady is right and Andrew Ashton is my examiner....  That would be a nice smooth transaction based on his past track record...
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a Form4 sent in on 10-17 and I haven't got it back yet either...
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#7]
My form 4 went pending on the 9th. I sent it out on 10/16. Maybe it will show up this week.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Called on my form 1 a couple days ago--was told this is the busy time of the year and that 8 weeks was the "normal" processing time of the year--largely due to state to state transfer requests (lots of historical reenactments).  

No biggie--remember, the first thing you need when you get in to the NFA world is PATIENCE.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea mine is pushing 4.5 weeks and was not in the system as of Tues. before T-day.  I would not normally be in a hurry but I will be holding my builder up on my krink.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Going on week 5 for my Form 1.  Called and was told its just the time of year.  I asked if it was the holiday season, he said yeah, partly.  Whatever that meant...

I think its a good time of year to save a little more and get the M4-2000 instead of the 1000, I don't feel like submitting a Form 4 right now if the 1 is gonna take 8 weeks...
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Well crap.  I mailed a form 4 last week with the hope of getting it back by Christmas.  Looks like that ain't going to happen.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Shit! And I'm waiting on a form3 so I can form4 my new M16.....!  I was hoping to be turning money into noise before '08
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 2:52:06 AM EDT
[#14]
LOL... most of y'all don't know SLOW...  

you should have been in the game 20yrs ago when it was truly s......l......o......w.......
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

you should have been in the game 20yrs ago when it was truly s......l......o......w.......

Heck, my first NFA transfer in 1999 took four months from the time I mailed the forms to when my dealer called, and I was thrilled it wasn't longer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:22:42 AM EDT
[#16]

yeah.. yeah... yeah....  We keep hearing that every time someone posts about timeframes...  We know it took 10 years for transfers long ago.  My point was I just called to check the status after 1 month and a week and no go yet.  I never said I was frustrated with the process.  Just giving people a heads up that they are running a little longer since the holidays....  thats all....  
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#17]
My check was cashed Oct 15, did'nt go pending until Nov. 5. Was told it could be a few more weeks because of the heavy workload on the examiner.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My check was cashed Oct 15, did'nt go pending until Nov. 5. Was told it could be a few more weeks because of the heavy workload on the examiner.

hehehehhe  
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

We are not as old as you
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I could handle the s....l....o....w if I could have gotten them for c....h....e.....a....p like you got'em.   Sure as hell wish I'd have gotten into the game just ten years ago--I'd have alot more than the 8 NFA items I have now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Like 8-12 months slow . . . BTDT.

Noah
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#22]

I could handle the s....l....o....w if I could have gotten them for c....h....e.....a....p like you got'em. Sure as hell wish I'd have gotten into the game just ten years ago--I'd have alot more than the 8 NFA items I have now.

I absolutely hear what you are saying....  If I could have snagged an M60 or an M16 for under a grand like my buddy did back in 85 or 87 I will wait 2 freakin years if I have too....  these days you get raped (of course we are asking for it because we want it... ) on MG prices so a nice fast timeline is needed and the least they can do.  Of course ATF could care less what we pay.  

Its all good....
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#23]
They told me this morning that Atlanta is 3 weeks behind.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#24]
3 weeks behind in WHAT!!!!

man for a department that is apparently so busy, they sure dont waste any time cashing our checks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   My check was cashed 6 days after I sent it.  

Funny how they are so busy but they can find someone to cash the dough.....

If they are really that busy they should be too busy to cash checks too wouldnt you think?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
3 weeks behind in WHAT!!!!

man for a department that is apparently so busy, they sure dont waste any time cashing our checks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   My check was cashed 6 days after I sent it.  

Funny how they are so busy but they can find someone to cash the dough.....

If they are really that busy they should be too busy to cash checks too wouldnt you think?

Thats how it works,
- It goes to WV (at least form 1's)
- They spot check it for illegal stuff (form 1 Machine gun, etc i assume).  
- They mail it to Atlanta
- Your check is cashed
- A stub is attached to your form
- They mail it back to WV
- Its placed in a queue (long wait here due to backup)
- Its pending
- Its approved
- Its mailed

It doesnt take much interaction to cash it, it takes interaction to approve it etc.  This is why there is a backup there.  Examiners have no part in the cashing process.

A very nice person at the NFA branch went over every step in the process with me once, without me even asking!

Edit for formatting etc
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Form 4, mailed 5 weeks ago.  Was getting 3 weeks door to door a couple of months ago.  I figure it's the holidays so I'm not sweating it.

Just keep busy shooting  your current toys and the time will pass quicker.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#27]
The form 4 my dealer sent-off for me came back today with an error letter saying that they needed the declaration of trust.  I originally only sent the certification of trust.  This is the first time I have used this dealer and they evidently have a different examiner than I do when I file form 1's.  I have filed 3 form 1's in the last 6 months with only the cert. of trust and they all came back approved, no problems.  Oh well, declarations only from now on...
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The form 4 my dealer sent-off for me came back today with an error letter saying that they needed the declaration of trust.  I originally only sent the certification of trust.  This is the first time I have used this dealer and they evidently have a different examiner than I do when I file form 1's.  I have filed 3 form 1's in the last 6 months with only the cert. of trust and they all came back approved, no problems.  Oh well, declarations only from now on...

I think they all want the whole thing now
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Thats how it works,
- It goes to WV (at least form 1's)
- They spot check it for illegal stuff (form 1 Machine gun, etc i assume).
- They mail it to Atlanta
- Your check is cashed
- A stub is attached to your form
- They mail it back to WV
- Its placed in a queue (long wait here due to backup)
- Its pending
- Its approved
- Its mailed

It doesnt take much interaction to cash it, it takes interaction to approve it etc. This is why there is a backup there. Examiners have no part in the cashing process.

A very nice person at the NFA branch went over every step in the process with me once, without me even asking!

Edit for formatting etc

no.. no.. no...

your right.  I understand the process I was just being a smart ass.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got two Form 1's to send out for SBR's...but I'm waiting till after the new year. I remember last year things slowed over the holidays...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#31]
well to update my situation- 30 days and still not even pending
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Form 4, mailed 5 weeks ago.  Was getting 3 weeks door to door a couple of months ago.  I figure it's the holidays so I'm not sweating it.

Just keep busy shooting  your current toys and the time will pass quicker.

Just got this form 4 back.  5.5 weeks door to door.

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#33]
I sent my first form 1 on the 11/9, cashed the 19th... wondering if I should call  I know they are just going to tell me its not in the system yet but I want to call so bad heh
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#34]
anyone know how long form3's are taking?  I bought a MG from a dealer out of state and he sent the forms in on 11/19 and hasn't heard anything yet...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#35]
FWIW- it seems the examiner handling the dealer here is about 60 days from a couple others.  for some odd reason she got alot of forms here recently.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Well just called again today to check....  Still not in the system.

Sent in on Nov 1st and check was cashed on Nov 9th.

Rob
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I mailed a check on 11/20 and the check cashed on 11/27.  I'm not gonna bother calling until after Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
anyone know how long form3's are taking?  I bought a MG from a dealer out of state and he sent the forms in on 11/19 and hasn't heard anything yet...

I had a form 3 take exactly 30 days in September/October.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top