Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 5:45:55 PM EDT
So Im selling a SBR/Can combo and a interested party is out of state.  how does this work?

Do I need to transfer to a local class 3 (paying $400 in taxes) have him ship it to another class 3 in the buyers state and have the buyer do the paperwork and pay another $400 ?

Thx in advance guys ...

ETA the SBR is on a form 1 and the can is a form 4 -- both in FL.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC.

Item transfers to a dealer in your state for $200.

The C3 dealer in your state sends the itemsto the C3 dealer of the buyer in a different state.

The buyers C3 dealer transfers the item to the buyer for $200.

You're dealing with two NFA items so there is $800 in transfer fees.  You must be selling the stuff for pennies on the dollar to make that worth it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Items transfer direct to the dealer in the buyer's state, that is what a FFL does is let you order guns from out of state source. Tax paid on form 4 two times for each NFA.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC the transfer to the Dealer was tax exempt, the $200 tax is paid on tranfer from the Dealer to the buyer.

Of course I have never done this before (nor do I plan to) so I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I just called the ATF.  They told me that I need to transfer it to the buyers dealer out of state on a form 4 (paying the $200 tax per NFA item) and then the dealer will transfer it to the buyer on another form 4 with him also paying the $200 NFA tax per item.

I was surprised to hear that I could ship directly to the class 3 dealer the buyer plans on using and that I would NOT have to go through my local class 3 dealer.

Has anyone here had experience with this?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IIRC the transfer to the Dealer was tax exempt, the $200 tax is paid on tranfer from the Dealer to the buyer.

Of course I have never done this before (nor do I plan to) so I could be wrong.

I asked this specifically -- I was told that transfers are only tax except when going from dealer to dealer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#6]

So Im selling a SBR/Can combo and a interested party is out of state.  how does this work?

A form 4 for the SBR ($200) and another Form 4 ($200) for the can from you to an SOT in the buyer's state.

Then another Form 4 ($200) for the SBR and another Form 4 ($200) for the can from the SOT to the buyer.

Yes, that is $800 in taxes.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#8]
So what you are telling me is I have another reason to never sell a non-machinegun NFA toy?

Great!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top